Edmunds, Oliver & Morse are a great foundation

Simon

While it's hard to be sold on Mr Beane quite yet, one thing that you can really appreciate about him is that he understands that most football games are won from the inside out. They've invested heavily in the middle of their units on both sides of the ball and that willingness to invest both significant draft capital and financial resources into these keystones is very encouraging.

Edmunds, Oliver and Morse are three of the best ballplayers on this roster and if Beane continues to focus his assets on maintaining that kind of interior infrastructure, I think it bodes very well for the Bills going forward.

• Like (+1) 11

6 hours ago, cage said:

Why is it "hard to be sold on Mr Beane"?  

There's a couple of things that are pretty concerning.

One is that I don't think he's done nearly enough to put a support system around Josh Allen that will enable him to reach his potential. When you get your hands on a legitimate blue chip QB prospect like that, your #1 priority instantly becomes surrounding him with the kind of talent that will help him succeed. Instead, after two offseasons of opportunities for Beane, Josh Allen is still standing back there behind what is mostly a patchwork offensive line, without a legitimate starting NFL TE, throwing to a bunch of smurfs with a 3 foot catch radius, all being coached by a guy who might have the worst track record in the entire NFL as an offensive coordinator. That is not a recipe for success and he has to do better.

The other thing that is worrying is the way he's managed the pro personnel aspect of the roster so far. The shotgun approach to FA is not necessarily bad in and of itself. Yeah, you're going to have a bunch of misses, that's just the nature of the beast. But what Beane has brought in here thus far hasn't just been bad, it's been historically bad. That gawdawful mess of signings last year was a failure on an epic scale; you might be hard pressed to find a worse batch of FA additions in the history of this franchise. He has a chance to show improved decision-making this year as it relates to how he manages to his professional roster, but starting the season by cutting the RB with the best combination of talent/experience/versatility in order to save a few bucks does not exactly inspire confidence.

I'm not hoping for him to be fired or anything, but if he doesn't show significant improvement in these two areas his tenure here is going to be neither successful nor sustained.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

One is that I don't think he's done nearly enough to put a support system around Josh Allen that will enable him to reach his potential. When you get your hands on a legitimate blue chip QB prospect like that, your #1 priority instantly becomes surrounding him with the kind of talent that will help him succeed. Instead, after two offseasons of opportunities for Beane, Josh Allen is still standing back there behind what is mostly a patchwork offensive line, without a legitimate starting NFL TE, throwing to a bunch of smurfs with a 3 foot catch radius, all being coached by a guy who might have the worst track record in the entire NFL as an offensive coordinator. That is not a recipe for success and he has to do better.

The other thing that is worrying is the way he's managed the pro personnel aspect of the roster so far. The shotgun approach to FA is not necessarily bad in and of itself. Yeah, you're going to have a bunch of misses, that's just the nature of the beast. But what Beane has brought in here thus far hasn't just been bad, it's been historically bad. That gawdawful mess of signings last year was a failure on an epic scale; you might be hard pressed to find a worse batch of FA additions in the history of this franchise. He has a chance to show improved decision-making this year as it relates to how he manages to his professional roster, but starting the season by cutting the RB with the best combination of talent/experience/versatility in order to save a few bucks does not exactly inspire confidence.

I'm not hoping for him to be fired or anything, but if he doesn't show significant improvement in these two areas his tenure here is going to be neither successful nor sustained.

Yawn........

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Simon said:

Thank you for your stellar contribution.

The board is a better place because of your keen insight and commitment to excellence.

I’ll comment specifically then.  Your comments about the O line are absurd.  The single best thing Beane did in the offseason was sing so many O linemen in free agency.  I don’t know how much you watch other teams, but there is a dearth if O line talent available.  By signing these guys he turned a liability last year into a non-liability.  It is not a great O line but it protected its young QB well yesterday.  As for smurfs he gave Allen two veteran WRs that each showed good things yesterday including the game winning throw.  Did you happen to look at Brown’s stats yesterday?  I thought not.

I’ll stop there but could continue for a while.  This should be enough to rebut your post.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Simon said:

Last years class was kind of a fluke. 

I’m not sure what the issue is, they signed “fillers” 

guys to fill a roster spot for a season. 

They worked on developing younger talent last season and the signings shouldn’t count as missing because they were only expected to help out for a little while. 

Almost all the moves the first two years that catch so much flack on here were either filler signings or locker room guys, or hoping for potential. Low risk high reward if you will. 

They’re building a modern nfl offense and “smurfs” as you like to say are the best receivers in the game now. Shifty fast receivers are the new thing and tall red zone guys are not as high of a priority anymore. They have given Allen plenty of weapons now to run a high powered offense. Can’t ask for much better in year 2 for the kid 

I know he is probably rusty, but Mitch didn't impress at all yesterday. Star is a wasted contract imo. We've had pretty good luck with DT and Oliver looks to continue that. Edmunds impressed me the most yesterday. He looked like he took a huge step forward in coverage, physicality, and play recognition. I'd like to see some young guys on the offensive line. Realistically we need a LT (Dawkins was terrible again), Center (injury prone), and RT to solidify the future. 

Edited by Trogdor
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’ll comment specifically then.  Your comments about the O line are absurd.  The single best thing Beane did in the offseason was sing so many O linemen in free agency.  I don’t know how much you watch other teams, but there is a dearth if O line talent available.  By signing these guys he turned a liability last year into a non-liability.  It is not a great O line but it protected its young QB well yesterday.  As for smurfs he gave Allen two veteran WRs that each showed good things yesterday including the game winning throw.  Did you happen to look at Brown’s stats yesterday?  I thought not.

I’ll stop there but could continue for a while.  This should be enough to rebut your post.

While I don't agree, I do appreciate you at least taking the time.

I consider TE's to be primarily OLinemen, which means in my mind there are 7 positions on the offensive line. Of those 7 positions only two of them are being manned by quality NFL starters. When you have a prospect like Allen on board, you've got to do more than that to protect him.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Simon said:

That gawdawful mess of signings last year was a failure on an epic scale; you might be hard pressed to find a worse batch of FA additions in the history of this franchise.

Hmmm idk.  The Dockery/Walker/etc. FA signings of the 2007 season were probably the worst in recent memory.  

And don't forget they had more dead money than anyone else last year and still managed to eek out 6 wins.  That speaks volumes about the non-player components of the organization, imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Last years class was kind of a fluke. 

I’m not sure what the issue is, they signed “fillers” 

guys to fill a roster spot for a season. 

They worked on developing younger talent last season and the signings shouldn’t count as missing because they were only expected to help out for a little while. 

Almost all the moves the first two years that catch so much flack on here were either filler signings or locker room guys, or hoping for potential. Low risk high reward if you will. 

They’re building a modern nfl offense and “smurfs” as you like to say are the best receivers in the game now. Shifty fast receivers are the new thing and tall red zone guys are not as high of a priority anymore. They have given Allen plenty of weapons now to run a high powered offense. Can’t ask for much better in year 2 for the kid 

I'm definitely hoping last year's class was a one-off fluke, but until we see better results it's hard to be too hopeful.

And while I actually like John Brown and thinkhe's a legitimate baller, the rest of the guys in that room are a pile of undersized jags who don't necessarily mesh well with Allen's strengths.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Good post.

Preaching to the choir brotha. 

Egads......

Is it too late to take back everything I said?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

While I don't agree, I do appreciate you at least taking the time.

I consider TE's to be primarily OLinemen, which means in my mind there are 7 positions on the offensive line. Of those 7 positions only two of them are being manned by quality NFL starters. When you have a prospect like Allen on board, you've got to do more than that to protect him.

Hey, GREAT to hear from you Brother!

Did you like Cody Ford coming out of Oklahoma? Others balked at this selection but I happened to like it (surprised?). I think that his development will mean a great deal to this team.

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Hey, GREAT to hear from you Brother!

Did you like Cody Ford coming out of Oklahoma? Others balked at this selection but I happened to like it (surprised?). I think that his development will mean a great deal to this team.

Right now, Ford needs to be playing RG. He's clearly behind Nsekhe at RT

• Like (+1) 1