Oliver is gonna be damn good - earned PFFs highest rated Bill in Wk1

Reed83HOF

6 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m in the same boat with you. I thought he would be too small for DT in this league. It’s only 1 game, but I’m liking what I saw. Ive never been so happy to be wrong (so far). 

I knew he had a quick first step and was definitely a high motor type of guy, but he plays with a bit of an edge too.  Once he's free he's like shot out of a cannon rushing the QB.

6 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m in the same boat with you. I thought he would be too small for DT in this league. It’s only 1 game, but I’m liking what I saw. Ive never been so happy to be wrong (so far). 

He is definitely small, but he has demonstrated he is also reallllly strong.  That sort of cancels out the downfalls of his size.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He is definitely small, but he has demonstrated he is also reallllly strong.  That sort of cancels out the downfalls of his size.  

I think the “small” DT myth was absolved once Aaron Donald started absolutely dominating. Donald is 6’1 280, Oliver is 6’1 287. So anyone using Oliver’s size as a downfall hasn’t looked at recent history. 

Yes Oliver looked good and promising, totally agree.

But PFF is also the same people who rated Singletary as "POOR" with 98 yards on 9 touches. 

So...yeah, they are wacky to say the least.  But I do happen to still agree that Oliver looked promising...however, he should also not have been the highest graded Bill on Sunday. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Maybe I am thinking of someone else. I thought it was him that I got into a heated back in forth with a couple months ago about Oliver. If it isn't, that is big-time my bad. 

Nah Badol loved the Oliver pick. He was less keen on Cody Ford. 

On 9/9/2019 at 9:14 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Our defensive line as a whole looked night and day different from last season.

We can finally get pressure on the QB again!   

And for the blabbering they did about Bell, we held him to 3.5 yds/att. I'll take that every time against a RB of that caliber like Zeke and Barkley.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

And now I can't find who I had the back and forth with.  The guys argument was essentially that Oliver had never seen top tier talent, and that guys from non-power 5 conferences rarely if ever pan out. 

I know exactly who it was, but I'm pretty sure he's no longer on the board.

But you can find him hanging around with Jean Reno, Robert De Niro, Stellan Skarsgaard, and Jonathan Pryce.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/8/2019 at 8:10 PM, Reed83HOF said:

We saw this exact play on his college highlight reel - a violent explosion off of the snap, followed by a melee which leaves a guard or center in a heap, followed by a ferocious burst towards a terrified QB.  Darnold missed an open receiver on that play as a result of Oliver's pressure.

Oliver's quick step is going to make Shaq Lawson a lot of money this year - Lawson doesn't have a quick step at all, but he's tenacious and will get a lot of cleanup opportunities this season as a result of the chaos Oliver causes at the line.

Not for nothing - there were rumors that Gregg Williams was pounding the table for the Jets to draft Oliver over Q and he was overruled.  You have to think he's pissed after Sunday - and Gregg never forgets a grievance (he keeps files on people, for chrissakes). Couple that with the fact that Gase is probably pointing fingers at Gregg for the way the Jets lost in the 4th Quarter and the Meltdown in the Meadowlands is well underway...

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Awesome! (+1) 1