Oliver is gonna be damn good - earned PFFs highest rated Bill in Wk1

Reed83HOF

2 hours ago, Dat said:

Popped on Jets board for delicious tears, and they mentioned Quinnen with a Zero stat line.

Didn't hear his named called all game, possibly affected the bad snap?

Only Play I remember seeing from him...  

What I dont want to see more of though was Ed Oliver in Coverage, lets throw that Zone blitz out of the playbook

11 minutes ago, wppete said:

Monster!!!

And that is Waters, a 320LB pretty darn good OG

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Only Play I remember seeing from him...  

What I dont want to see more of though was Ed Oliver in Coverage, lets throw that Zone blitz out of the playbook

And that is Waters, a 320LB pretty darn good OG

Dumping the guard like that is amazing. He looked exactly like A. Donald.  But the burst that follows is really impressive too. 91 is Brady kryptonite. Dante will take notice.

“Nine times out of 10, the guy who gets the push is not going to be the guy who gets the sack, so I just tried to help my team execute and help myself execute,” Oliver said in the victorious locker room. “Just play to the best of my ability. If I get sack, cool, if I don't and my guys around me get a sack — as long as a linebacker or a DB or something don't get the sack, we good.”

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/09/buffalo-bills-skurski-ed-oliver-nfl-new-york-jets/

Great attitude from the rookie too. 

It was refreshing to see the line as a whole play really well. They were stuffing run lanes, batting passes, collapsing the pocket, and rarely let Darnold have time to sit comfortably in the pocket. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure if it has been said yet but he was the highest graded Bill per PFF in week 1 scoring an 80.3. 

EDIT: sorry 2nd highest. Sweeney, the 7th round rookie, scored an 89.1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Oliver was nice, but TJ and Brown were absurd yesterday....

AJ Brown too. But Oliver was even better on a 2nd watch. 

Edited by GunnerBill

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure if it has been said yet but he was the highest graded Bill per PFF in week 1 scoring an 80.3. 

EDIT: sorry 2nd highest. Sweeney, the 7th round rookie, scored an 89.1

AJ Brown too. But Oliver was even better on a 2nd watch. 

I'm trying to wean myself off PFF, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love hearing that. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know if this will hold but he has looked better than Knox so far.

Agree. I think the time Knox has missed has hurt. Sweeney seems to have the offense down better at this point. 

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I'm trying to wean myself off PFF, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love hearing that. 

PFF is a tool. If you base everything on it you are in trouble but some of what they do is really useful. 

13 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Ed Oliver had a good game today.  No major rookie mistakes except for that drop back, for which I can't blame him.  Frazier, WTF you thinkin'?  C'mon man, just turn this dog loose and let him hunt.

Need to go find the post for credit, but another poster noted zone defenses will do this occasionally to mix up pre-snap looks to avoid patterns in pass rush. It's not like they asked him to do it repeatedly, and in all honesty thought the one he let slip to (Crowder?) wasn't entirely on him and he recovered fine. They know where his talents lie and what they want him doing; but mixing up his looks will help him to avoid being relentlessly double teamed or overlooked in a quick pre-snap read.

16 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

^it's hard to pick a single standout when he had such great pressures yesterday - but what I love about this most isn't just the processing of the play action, his acceleration was surprising enough to Darnold to force a quicker, inaccurate throw because he either didn't expect the speed; deer in the headlights'd him; or both.

In fact, it even looks like Darnold misses this throw because he's already anticipating the hit from Oliver (at around 10 or 11 seconds in) - he's falling backwards before he even starts his arm motion, and has barely any footwork to note here. That kind of disruption might get a tally in the pressures column, but the impact will eventually lead to turnovers if this remains consistent with Oliver.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1