NFL Week 1 grades: Jets get a 'D' for blowing huge lead in home opener

Punching Bag

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-1-grades-jets-get-a-d-for-blowing-huge-lead-in-home-opener-ravens-get-a/

Not only did the Jets lose to a divisional rival 17-16, but they blew their biggest lead at home since 2002. The Jets were leading this game 16-0 with just under four minutes left to play in the third quarter before the Bills mounted a huge comeback with 17 straight points over the final 19 minutes of the game. 

Bills: B+

Josh Allen almost gave this game away in the first half with four turnovers, but thanks to a brilliant performance from Buffalo's defense, the Jets weren't able to break this game open despite two interceptions and two lost fumbles from Allen. After an ugly first half, Allen rebounded in the fourth quarter by leading an 80-yard scoring drive that ended with a game-winning 38-yard TD pass to John Brown. One other bit of good news that Bills got is the fact that Devin Singletary came up big. Thanks to the rookie running back's performance -- four carries for 70 yards -- no one is going to be second-guessing Sean McDermott's decision to cut LeSean McCoy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you read the piece they put all of the blame on the QB during the first half and it makes it hard to give a A with four 1st half turnovers.  Since it was featured piece (mostly to point out Case is a bad coach something they said when he was signed) I was hoping coverage would be more than McPaper level.

11 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Really should have given us an A.  Easy to forget that offensively we only have TWO starters from last year (Dawkins and Allen, if you don't count Zay).  The defense is or can be elite, and the offense will only get better.  A gutsy, tough road win against a quality division opponent.  Give 'em the A!

Why aren't you counting Zay?

11 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Really should have given us an A.  Easy to forget that offensively we only have TWO starters from last year (Dawkins and Allen, if you don't count Zay).  The defense is or can be elite, and the offense will only get better.  A gutsy, tough road win against a quality division opponent.  Give 'em the A!

Getting shut out with 4 turnovers in the first half disqualifies us from getting an A.

I don't really see him as a starter - more of a rotation.  But count him as three if you like, but deduct half an Allen.  He was not a starter last year for nearly half our games.  You get my point though - it is a whole new offense.

There are no disqualifications with a road W vs. division opponent.  A-all-the-way baby!

3 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

And now, finally home from the local brewery, I'm going to go to the front steps and smoke a perfectly humidified cigar in celebration. Join me, Bills Nation.

I prefer the dry ones I find in a desk in Afghanistan that have been there for a few years.

They light a lot easier.

25 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-1-grades-jets-get-a-d-for-blowing-huge-lead-in-home-opener-ravens-get-a/

Not only did the Jets lose to a divisional rival 17-16, but they blew their biggest lead at home since 2002. The Jets were leading this game 16-0 with just under four minutes left to play in the third quarter before the Bills mounted a huge comeback with 17 straight points over the final 19 minutes of the game. 

Bills: B+

Josh Allen almost gave this game away in the first half with four turnovers, but thanks to a brilliant performance from Buffalo's defense, the Jets weren't able to break this game open despite two interceptions and two lost fumbles from Allen. After an ugly first half, Allen rebounded in the fourth quarter by leading an 80-yard scoring drive that ended with a game-winning 38-yard TD pass to John Brown. One other bit of good news that Bills got is the fact that Devin Singletary came up big. Thanks to the rookie running back's performance -- four carries for 70 yards -- no one is going to be second-guessing Sean McDermott's decision to cut LeSean McCoy

John Breech. Never heard of him. Who cares

1 minute ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Kind of seems like it, no?  I like Zay - but I think he is going to end up splitting a lot of time with Roberts, Foster, and McKenzie.  Maybe even our PS preseason wonder!  Lots of receiving weapons.

I guess it also matters if you think a slot receiver can be considered the #2.

13 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Getting shut out with 4 turnovers in the first half disqualifies us from getting an A.

As it should. They got themselves into a huge self inflicted jam and don't deserve a good grade because they managed to sneak out a win in the end.

And I think giving the Jets a D is generous, they did blow the game. They were gifted 4 turnovers and managed to do something only about 2% chance of doing by losing a game when they were given 4 turnovers. The Bills were lucky the turnovers didn't put them into a deeper hole then it did and that the Jets weren't able to take advantage.

45 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

As it should. They got themselves into a huge self inflicted jam and don't deserve a good grade because they managed to sneak out a win in the end.

And I think giving the Jets a D is generous, they did blow the game. They were gifted 4 turnovers and managed to do something only about 2% chance of doing by losing a game when they were given 4 turnovers. The Bills were lucky the turnovers didn't put them into a deeper hole then it did and that the Jets weren't able to take advantage.

I do not call it lucky.  I call it working hard.

• Like (+1) 2