The Safety. What did I miss?

Kelly the Dog

10 hours ago, yall said:

I can understand the refs misreading it in real time. I can't understand McD not challenging it.

Every scoring play is reviewed (and this was as well).  A challenge was not needed.

9 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

3. I don't understand how a big money league in a billion $ stadium has no direct overhead sky cam view? That would have easily answered the question without doubt but somehow there wasn't one??

This puzzled me as well.  I've seen other games where that overhead angle is used via a camera suspended on wires.  I guess the Jest stadium doesn't have one?

11 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

The announcers said that. I’ll have to look up the rule myself, unless you know for sure? It seems odd that it only has to break the plane for a TD. But must be entirely over to prevent a safety. 

Nope the announcers are correct - if any part of the ball is in the end zone - the ball is considered in the end zone - it makes perfect sense both ways are the same.

Thanks for asking this.  Everyone in the cheap seats were wondering the same.  It looked like crossed the goal line. 

Watching the replay no.  His whole body was outside the goal line!  How could the ball be behind him?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Thanks for asking this.  Everyone in the cheap seats were wondering the same.  It looked like crossed the goal line. 

Watching the replay no.  His whole body was outside the goal line!  How could the ball be behind him?

Apparently he was being sneaky and had the ball behind his back! Just a ridiculous initial call from an official who couldn't possibly have seen it and a total cop out from the replay crew in the booth.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, yall said:

I can understand the refs misreading it in real time. I can't understand McD not challenging it.

Not challenging the call was the right thing to do. Whether the call was right or wrong there wasn't enough evidence to overrule the call. I thought that Gore crossed the line but it was a close call one way or the other. 

It's kind of crazy that the NFL/TV production crew doesn't make sure to have camera views down the line when the ball is at the goal line.  

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

half yard line.   

If it were the Pats the 2.  

12 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No, just past it.

The ref is supposed to spot the ball exactly as far as it was progressed on the previous play.  If it did not completely cross the white line, they would be placing it on the white line on the subsequent play, which makes no sense.  If you saw that the ball did completely cross the white line, well that's another discussion.  

2 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

The ref is supposed to spot the ball exactly as far as it was progressed on the previous play.  If it did not completely cross the white line, they would be placing it on the white line on the subsequent play, which makes no sense.  If you saw that the ball did completely cross the white line, well that's another discussion.  

didn't need replay to see it, bad call by the refs.

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope the announcers are correct - if any part of the ball is in the end zone - the ball is considered in the end zone - it makes perfect sense both ways are the same.

If all you need is the nose of the football to break the plane for a TD yjrm grtying the nose outside the end zone mans it’s not a safety because the gall is spotted based on the nose of the ball. Similarly for first down..all you need is the nose of the bell.

17 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

It’s where the ball was.  And I agree the ball got over the line.

Yep this.  How the hell does the NFL have a bad goal line camera angle - WTF. It is only the spot other than the uprights where teams score.

Not enough evidence my backside.

6 hours ago, Capco said:

This puzzled me as well.  I've seen other games where that overhead angle is used via a camera suspended on wires.  I guess the Jest stadium doesn't have one?

Certain games have more cameras at them than others. For example, all prime time games, and the national games during the afternoon. It is ridiculous, however, that the NFL does not require two cameras at the goal line.