The Safety. What did I miss?

Kelly the Dog

Not trying to say that the refs tried to give it to the home team, but the spots by the line judges were poor for the Bills the entire game. The 3rd down QB sneak and the safety, plus the 4th down Bell gain are the ones that stuck out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

The ref who called it had the best view. 

The side judge did have the best view--yet IIRC, Gore's back was to him as he tried to squeeze through the line.   So how he could see the football well enough to make that kind of call is questionable to me...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The side judge did have the best view--yet IIRC, Gore's back was to him as he tried to squeeze through the line.   So how he could see the football well enough to make that kind of call is questionable to me...

Yeah, it was questionable for sure, but once called, there was no way it would be overturned without any way to see it clearly.

12 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

The entire ball has to get over the line. From the replay, it wasn’t clear.  Too many bodies blocking the view.

The announcers said that. I’ll have to look up the rule myself, unless you know for sure? It seems odd that it only has to break the plane for a TD. But must be entirely over to prevent a safety. 

Considering the tendency to pass all day...going for a run play on your one foot line seemed the most obvious call...to everyone...on both sides of the ball!   ?

In the end the refs did plenty to help the Bills today so for them to possibly have missed that one...I’ll take it.  

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

There wasn’t a good camera angle.  

This.  Nothing left to discuss.  It was ruled a safety and there was not a single angle that showed the location of the football, which is all that matters.  Refs made the right call even though it seemed he may have been out of endzone, can’t over turn without seeing the football.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He couldn't. They have to review it in the booth because it was a scoring play.

15 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It would have been a penalty if he challenged it. All scoring plays are reviewed automatically

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Can't challenge a scoring play. 

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

McD needn't challenge.  As a scoring play it was reviewed.

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Arent all scoring plays reviewed so he can’t?

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I believe it was an automatic review.... not enough evidence to overturn.

13 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Well isn’t a safety technically a “scoring play,” and thus, shouldn’t it be automatically reviewed?

So what are you trying to say?  lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nkreed said:

Not trying to say that the refs tried to give it to the home team, but the spots by the line judges were poor for the Bills the entire game. The 3rd down QB sneak and the safety, plus the 4th down Bell gain are the ones that stuck out.

this wouldn't surprise me. I saw a few calls that were questionable , like the one we were called for Taunting and it took us out of FG range when on the same play their player was taunting Allen while on top of him on the ground.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

The announcers said that. I’ll have to look up the rule myself, unless you know for sure? It seems odd that it only has to break the plane for a TD. But must be entirely over to prevent a safety. 

It sort of makes sense to me.  For a touchdown, if it touches the white line, it’s in the end zone. Therefore, to not be in the end zone, it cannot be touching any of the white line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The NFL officials are bad and as long as they are not absurdly bad I accept it and move on. That play was close enough I can accept it based on lack of video evidence, at least until I see another angle.

Edited by Buffalo Timmy
Missed word
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Could be that touching the line means in the endzone, which would be the case either way. Although the NFL does have some contradictory stuff on some calls as to where the ball is versus where the feet or player are

Thought he absolutely crossed the plane, but apparently no good angle to review.  Which actually I find hard to believe, given it was goal line.

Also, Feliciano unsportsmanlike, what did he do because I certainly didn't see it?

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This.  Nothing left to discuss.  It was ruled a safety and there was not a single angle that showed the location of the football, which is all that matters.  Refs made the right call even though it seemed he may have been out of endzone, can’t over turn without seeing the football.

There was an early view from the opposite side IIRC that showed it.