Josh Allen - The Season

Here, a running account of stats, opinions, hysteria, etc.

9/8, Game 1: Bills 17 - Jets 16

Passing: 24/37, 254 yds, 1 TD

Rushing: 10/38 1 TD

Turnovers: 2 INT, 2 lost fumbles

It was ugly, but they scored the final 17 points and overcame a large deficit (16 pts) in the 2nd half. 

This could be a typical Allen game - tough in the pocket, medium range ropes, and frantic intercepts and fumbles due to lack of composure and poor decision making when under pressure. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

It was ugly, but they scored the final 17 points and overcame a large deficit (16 pts) in the 2nd half. 

This could be a typical Allen game - tough in the pocket, medium range ropes, and frantic intercepts and fumbles due to lack of composure and poor decision making when under pressure. 

While Allen is credited with both fumbles, really the 2nd one should have been on Morse.  To me deflected balls have no blame or praise.  Just luck, good for D and bad for O  Look at how many passes the Bills deflected, but not one landed close to a teammate that could have grabbed it, think there was one somewhat close.

I will credit him with two bad throws one on the int called back due to penalty and one dropped, but that does happen all the time with everyone.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Get bent

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

take note- his completion percentage was 64.8%   definitely a big improvement from last season.   i think his performance this game will not be typical and he and the offense will get much better.  

• Like (+1) 1

Both of his interceptions were tipped balls. How were they frantic INT's?

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

While Allen is credited with both fumbles, really the 2nd one should have been on Morse.  To me deflected balls have no blame or praise.  Just luck, good for D and bad for O  Look at how many passes the Bills deflected, but not one landed close to a teammate that could have grabbed it, think there was one somewhat close.

I will credit him with two bad throws one on the int called back due to penalty and one dropped, but that does happen all the time with everyone.

And the first fumble is on Dawkins for getting beat so badly on the edge.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, MJS said:

TBD posters will never see that!

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Great synopsis, unusual for OTB!

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

And the first fumble is on Dawkins for getting beat so badly on the edge.

It was kind of weird too, he pulled the ball down, but it almost looked like the ball kind of got stuck on his hip and and as he pulled his arm in in order to ball in  the arm kept moving, but the ball was stopped by the hip and it then fell to the ground.

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah i mean Bills batted 4 or 5 passes and of course none of them came right to a defender like the Jets had happen twice.

I thought he showed some command today. audibling and making some good throws but you can also see he is a second year player, developing. the two throw away's was something he did not do in his rookie year. not a lot of hero ball but rather made some good (and bad) decisions that gave sign he's going in the right direction. you know, the best part of it was the determination to keep playing and not hang their heads. 15 to go, on to the giants.

wasn't the 4th preseason game excitement had but when it came to getting down to business in the second half, they pulled together as a team and won.

• Like (+1) 1

On the one hand, both INTs were a bit flukey, on the other hand, there were a couple more balls that probably could / should have been intercepted by the Jets.  In general, this game reminded me a lot of last year with the difference largely being the WRs making more plays, and the line usually giving more time.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Neither fumble was on him. Nor was the 1st INT. The 2nd INT was. He just failed to see the free rusher and threw it straight at him. 

I thought the first fumble was on him for sure, regardless of the blocking. He tucked the ball but didnt really have it strong. it popped out pretty easily.