Josh Allen - week one report card

rayray808

Just now, NickelCity said:

One fumble was on Josh. Tuck it. 

It's crazy that THREE turnovers were unequivocally not on him. Without watching them personally, outside observers will crap on his stats. Oh well. 

This is correct. The first fumble is ALL him. He needed to do better there.

The second fumble was Morse 100%. The Beasley int was well, on beasley.

And the other INT was a lucky bounce on a deflection

• Like (+1) 3

I have to go with a solid B.  The one interception was a poor pass/decision.  The fumble on the sack - can't do those.  The fumble on the snap was partly his fault.  
So I got to watch the game on delay and I saw the first half score and stats before watching.  I did not check the 2nd half/final score and just watched it.  

I was actually much more disappointed before I watched the first half than the actual game. .  After seeing that and then the 3rd qtr. I thought the Bills still had a chance but I knew it may also just be wishful thinking.  But overall I was impressed with most of his passes and decisions.  And more importantly, very impressed with the fact that he came back on the road from 4 huge turnovers!   Jets fans have to be disappointed with Darnold in this one too, very pedestrian game for him. 

Excellent game by Allen.  The turnovers were not his fault, but he had some throws that should have been turnovers but weren't.  Regardless, he kept his head and led a 4th-quarter comeback.  It's a little dumb to do week-by-week comparisons, but this is better than what Mayfield or Darnold accomplished.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I mean yes it's on him he has to be able to protect the ball in a situation like that but Dawkins can't let a guy get around to this blindside that quick.

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

What was his QBR?

Better than Jared Goff's, who only completed 59% of his passes.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I saw a game I wanted to. Allen shook off the turnovers (99% teams Lose with 4 TOs) and led a team to a 4th game winning drive in 12 starts. 

And 5th if you count the Miami loss last year where Clay dropped the TD pass.

2 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Grade: B-

24/37 - 254 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT - 10 carries, 38 yards, 1 TD, 2 fumbles

He stayed poised all game, and when it mattered... he delivered. He seemed to never lose poise and focus. Of the 4 turnovers, one INT was batted at the line, the other INT was bounced of Beasleyʻs knee (which he should have caught, one fumble on a bad exchange on a 4th and 1 which I doubt he and Morse had much practice doing, and the last was a strip sack - which I put the total blame on him.

Josh Allen did two important things today: he led a team, and he won a game AWAY against a DIVISION RIVAL when nothing was going our way and they were even down 0-16.

GO BILLS!

This is who Allen is. Lots of talent, but without the "it" factor needed to be a winner. I'm actually happy that the Bills won today.

I love Josh Allen but a B- is generous. I’d say a C is about right. Not bad. Not great. I think except for the fumble/sack the turnovers were not really bad plays. But he did get away with a couple. But ultimately he played really well in the 4th quarter!

Quarter 1-3: D

Quarter 4: A

Three Ds and an A equal a C. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A 'perfect pass" to me is a foot higher. It was in no way a bad pass. Beasley would say he has to make that catch 100 out of 100 tries. But he also could have had two other INTs. That one was not on him at all.

you gotta catch that ball...Cole was just off today...

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Thought he really settled down in the 2nd half.  Little too much juice on his throws in the beginning to be expected I would say.  I give him a B because he got the win ultimately.  Great learning experience I would say.

A little lucky ultimately, but made plays when he needed to.  Jets dropped 2 other easy picks, so you can say that his picks were unfortunate, but that's not telling the entire story.  Another pick called back due to penalty.

Great the way things turned out and I'm sure he will learn.

Edited by JasonS

I give allen a b- today he was accurate ..made some big throws and most impressive was his poise ..darnold had jittery feet throwing ofd his back foot all day while Josh never faltered . He did however make some terrible decisions throwing the ball late he's gotta balance his aggresiveness 

So far, he doesn't look a whole lot different from last year. The good and the bad. Still thinking run first on a lot of 3rd downs but usually making good on it, still generally not hitting guys in stride, still winning purely on will and guts, but not showing a lot of touch on throws. He was lucky he didn't have 2-3 more picks. Nice win, but there was a lot of ugly in that game. 

27 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Throwing the ball directly into an edge rusher is not an unlucky bounce, it was a bad decision.

Allen had 4 turnovers and yes, 2 of them can be blamed on others but Allen also had another couple plays that should have been turnovers.

C-, only because he got the win, or it would be a failing grade.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buddy Hix said:

Throwing the ball directly into an edge rusher is not an unlucky bounce, it was a bad decision.

Allen had 4 turnovers and yes, 2 of them can be blamed on others but Allen also had another couple plays that should have been turnovers.

C-, only because he got the win, or it would be a failing grade.

u mad?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I just dont understand why there were so few deep shots called when the Jets secondary is pretty bad...Bills could have put Brown and Foster on the outside and let them run

they should have run from the beginning more and exploited trumaine a lot more.   Daboll didnt do the team any favors in the first half.