Josh Allen - week one report card

rayray808

6 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Grade: B-

24/37 - 254 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT - 10 carries, 38 yards, 1 TD, 2 fumbles

He stayed poised all game, and when it mattered... he delivered. He seemed to never lose poise and focus. Of the 4 turnovers, one INT was batted at the line, the other INT was bounced of Beasleyʻs knee (which he should have caught, one fumble on a bad exchange on a 4th and 1 which I doubt he and Morse had much practice doing, and the last was a strip sack - which I put the total blame on him.

Josh Allen did two important things today: he led a team, and he won a game AWAY against a DIVISION RIVAL when nothing was going our way and they were even down 0-16.

GO BILLS!

Josh Allen grew up even more today. Despite the turnovers and chaos of the first half, he did not give up and his persistence paid off...this is the kind of game that good teams win.

1 hour ago, Tiffany980 said:

When the Bills were getting their butts handed to them, EVERYONE here was trashing the Bills. The season was over, you said. Laughingstocks, you said. Suddenly, you're good? Please... NE, NJ, Buffalo, Miami...

So are you trying to fit in with the cool kids?  Just change name to "Scott Clone".

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiffany980 said:

When the Bills were getting their butts handed to them, EVERYONE here was trashing the Bills. The season was over, you said. Laughingstocks, you said. Suddenly, you're good? Please... NE, NJ, Buffalo, Miami...

Stay up “tiffany.” You’re 0-1 but you got an outside shot of beating out miami for 3rd place in the division. If not, hey you can draft a QB who doesn’t look like a complete doofus

Liked the competitive nature that came through in the end but the man had four turnovers and could have easily had six or seven if not for all the drops by the Jets and the pick that got overturned. That was a D+ performance at best. If you don't take care of the football you don't win. Period. Josh did everything he could through three quarters to lose today and was bailed out by our defense and a few key calls/drops. It was hard to watch. 

4 hours ago, MDH said:

The fumble on the sack is all on Allen. He saw the LB coming and tried to stiff arm him instead of just protecting the ball.

But there are plays where he does that and actually escapes the pocket to avoid the sack. I'm at the point where I've accepted he's going to take risks, in exchange he will make some miraculous plays. At this stage of his career he needs to figure out what he can get away with.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

So his back to back 80 yard drives on the road playing with only TWO of his teammates from last season (the rest new faces) in which he went 80% completion percentage and kept the chains moving to win the game, that only gets a B- ?   Damn.  

No those two drives were an A too. 

3 hours ago, VW82 said:

Liked the competitive nature that came through in the end but the man had four turnovers and could have easily had six or seven if not for all the drops by the Jets and the pick that got overturned. That was a D+ performance at best. If you don't take care of the football you don't win. Period. Josh did everything he could through three quarters to lose today and was bailed out by our defense and a few key calls/drops. It was hard to watch. 

The objective analysis in this post is a D+ at best...

• Like (+1) 1

I think I'd rate his game C+/B-

His first drive was very, very good. After the turnover he looked a bit rattled and started playing more sandlot ball. When that happens he gets sloppy with his decision making and rushes throws thinking he needs to win the game right then and there. The last 3 drives of the game though, also very good.

To my eyes, he really only had 2 "ugly" throws and those were the 2 that almost were intercepted. He had a couple throws that the placement wasn't great as well but weren't ugly.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think I'd rate his game C+/B-

His first drive was very, very good. After the turnover he looked a bit rattled and started playing more sandlot ball. When that happens he gets sloppy with his decision making and rushes throws thinking he needs to win the game right then and there. The last 3 drives of the game though, also very good.

To my eyes, he really only had 2 "ugly" throws and those were the 2 that almost were intercepted. He had a couple throws that the placement wasn't great as well but weren't ugly.

This largely accords with how I saw it. 

• Like (+1) 1

B-

I didn't like the throw across the body.  That is a rookie mistake that can't happen anymore.  Luckily, he got away with it.

Ten rushes.  That is way too many.

He needs to learn to brush things off.  As many have stated, the turnovers rattled him.  He can't continue to allow that to happen; especially against teams better than the Jets.

When he's confident, he's fun to watch.  He did a lot of great things yesterday.

Now if Daboll can get his head out of his ass, I think this offense will be greatly improved over last year.

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If you're a JA fan A, if indifferent probably a B/B+, and the ones who dislike him C-.

Beasley 100% responsible for the interception & another drop (pros catch passes and don't let it bounce off their helmet).

Ran the ball well and brought them back.

Very few "bad" passes.

A couple of bad passes too and an int called back.

Loved that the Bills wanted to move the ball.

If this report card thread is for week 1 and not the 2nd half, he gets a C.  I like Allen a lot. It's 1 game on the road and I think he'll play better. There's no way he's even close to an A for the whole game. Even a B is pushing it. Without the defense, I sense a different tune. Again, I like Allen a lot, but I took off my Bills rose colored glasses when giving him a C. I think that's fair and he'd probably tell you the same.

B-

3 of the 4 turnovers in the first half I don’t pin on Allen. Both INTs were bad luck/Beasley has to catch that and the Morse fumble they should Williams for the Jets made a great individual effort on Morse who looked rusty.

I thought Allen actually moved the offense pretty well and I liked his willingness to find his guys for 5-7 yard gains. His final drive he was spectacular and the TD throw isn’t getting enough credit considering it was 3rd and 4 and he put it right on the money. I thought his running was smart not hero ball. The offense would’ve had a FG on the one run had they not got a taunting penalty

I didn’t like the Marcus Maye almost INT, but the INT that got called back for penalty you can’t judge because it’s different play and throw if the player isn’t held.

Overall solid with poise not great but showed some nice signs of progression with a few plays of growth like the sack fumble or Mayes almost INT you don’t want to see.

• Like (+1) 3

I haven't read this entire thread.  I will say that at no time during the game did I think Josh looked "bad."  He got lucky on a couple of throws that could have been intercepted but he was also very unlucky on three of the four turnovers, so that balances out over the course of a game.  The Jets literally got every bounce in the first half.

Let's remember that the Jets have very good players on defense, and Gregggggg Williams does have at least some idea of how to confuse a young QB.

The bottom line is that Allen led a 16-pt. comeback on the road by playing extremely well late.  Isn't that what we always have wanted; a QB who will make the plays in the 4th quarter to win games?  Rookie Josh probably still throws the 3rd-and-4 pass to Smoke "the way it was drawn up" and the pass is broken up.  2nd year Josh recognized the tight coverage, looked off the safety, and threw a back-shoulder toss resulting in the game winning play.

Even a 65% completion day isn't stopping the media from continuing to call him "inaccurate" and that's a shame.

Imagine what we would be saying if Josh had played like Darnold yesterday?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

He looked like Blake Bortles in the 1st half.  

Good to see he kept his head on straight, but he has got to move on from performances like this.  -4 in turnover ratio plus losing the time of possession battle is recipe for disaster in almost any other case.

Blake Bortles in the first half?  Wow.