Josh Allen - week one report card

rayray808

Reading Vic's idiotic, dishonest, completely out-of-touch take...

I lost a lot of respect for him since he came back to Buffalo. He tries to stir things up and create issues to the detriment of the team. He works against the team, planting things in players' and coaches' minds.

Edited by The Bills Blog

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I would give him a C / C+. 

First drive - A

Rest of the first half - D

Second half - B-

This is right on. The key to me is that he was composed when we usually crumble. The turning point for me was when we get a penalty and are 2nd and 17 with over 3 left in the game. That is usually self destruct mode where we get picked. A few plays later we were winning. That on Josh. That’s leadership and belief within the team where it didn’t exist before.

• Like (+1) 2

He gets a C from me, that's only because of the win.  He made some really terrible decisons that should have been turn overs, that crap wont fly in the real world.   They should have been blown out, but the Jets couldn't do much of anything on O either.  Good news is he managed to finish it off.

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

A

I don't think people realize how big a deal this is today.  

Jets fans and their media that covers them get to sit around and now question if they mistakenly traded up and whether or not they took the "right" Josh.  

Hostile environment.  Dead to rights.  Overcame the TO's (I put only ONE on Josh he was just fine early on considering we wanted him to literally do everything).  The critics will point those out as more evidence that he's not good or whatever nonsense........ but most honestly watching has to see Josh passes the eye test.  Without question.  We'll have to live with the turnovers because he gambles he takes chances----he's STILL RAW.  But he's a gamer and a dog.  Period.  

Just a great great win.  

I agree.  The #1 stat for assessing a QB's performance is whether they were a major contributor to a VICTORY.  And today the answer was a clear yes for Allen.  So the A is warranted.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

I am not comparing Allen to anyone good yet since he has a ways to go, but I remember a few Bills games in the 90's were Kelly and the offense were awful in the first three quarters and then would find a way to get it done in the end.  Allen did that today but gets a big assist from the defense for only allowing eight points.

He not going to get away with four turnovers in a half too many times, but a road win against a division rival is a good way to start the season.  I give him a B- for the day.

Remember the Monday night game against Cincinnati when Kelly threw THREE INT's in the first quarter!  I do because we had a big party at my house loaded with Bills AND Bengals fans and I almost lost my mind.  Then James Loften got open a couple of times!

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I saw a game I wanted to. Allen shook off the turnovers (99% teams Lose with 4 TOs) and led a team to a 4th game winning drive in 12 starts. 

Agree.

It's important to get a reputation as clutch to build upon and while he hasn't done anything amazing he is slowly but surely getting some decent 4th quarter comebacks on his record.

And beating Darnold........also important IMO.........these two are close and the guys who will be most compared from that class.......Darnold pulled a rabbit out of his hat to take the lead late in Buffalo last year(thanks in part to KW flopping at him when he had him contained) and then Allen came out with a chance to win the game and threw an interception. 

This was an important win for him to at least even that ledger.

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I beg to differ. You want to throw it low in traffic. That pass was perfectly placed. Beasley had two hands on it before he tossed it for a pick 6.

That's how I saw it as well. He throws it any higher and its a suicide pass. I put that pick 6 100 percent on Beasley

1 hour ago, Tiffany980 said:

When the Bills were getting their butts handed to them, EVERYONE here was trashing the Bills. The season was over, you said. Laughingstocks, you said. Suddenly, you're good? Please... NE, NJ, Buffalo, Miami...

Starting off with a lie doesn't help your case.

And you are who your record says you are: In the Jets case, as good as Miami right now.

Edit: Technically, worse than Miami having an AFCE loss :D

Edited by Ralonzo

Looking at the smaller stuff - 

- his touch pass to Beasley which Beez dropped was similar to the lob to Sweeney in the preseason - seems to be a touch throw he’s been working on and it’s a nice addition to his repertoire 

- footwork seemed much better, especially on throws to his left - last year he’d have a wide stance which would lead to serious misses, today I noticed tighter footwork which led to much better ball placement 

- noticed several instances where he kept his eyes downfield and looked for late-breaking routes to develop - last year he would’ve tucked and run 

- he paid much more attention to what the defense was doing pre-snap, actually changing plays and calling protections.  He also understands down and distance considerations.  FWIW, Tyrod never got to either of those points here.

• Like (+1) 4

I used to compare him to Big Ben but earlier in Ben's career he was a game manager. That is not the case here with Allen, they threw and threw some more to the point that I was like why wouldn't they run? He reminds me more and more of Brett Favre, he like Allen are gunslingers and they will do alot of dumb things but when the things they do turn out then you get a masterful game like today, he threw some sketchy throws like the dropped INT but then he goes and throws a laser to John Brown for the TD. You're going to get some bad plays with Allen that will make you go why bro why but you'll also get those masterful throws. I think we're witnessing a more athletic version of Brett Favre, get your popcorn ready.

3 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

C+ John Brown pretty mush bailed him out in 4 Q.

I love posts like this. Do you watch other NFL offenses? Brown's TD wasn't even notable compared to highlights from the other games. It is a standard top 2 receiver play that every competent offense in the league can make on a weekly basis.

I feel the same way about people criticizing Allen for the pick off of Beasley's hands. It is a standard NFL catch that starting receivers will make 99% of the time.

There is this weird misconception from certain folks on here that every good QB is perfectly precise on every throw, and that they're running their offenses all on their own without help. It boggles my mind.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, class_of_2012 said:

Better than Jared Goff's, who only completed 59% of his passes.

And 5th if you count the Miami loss last year where Clay dropped the TD pass.

He also took the lead during the 4th quarter in the jets game last year even though he threw the game ending interception the next time he was on the field.  He’s definitely a serious competitor. 

• Like (+1) 1

FUN FACT:

Today Josh Allen threw for 254 yards with a 65% completion rate (including those 2 picks which one could argue were not his fault)

Last year, he has never thrown for that many yards in a game - also his average was 172 yards per game with a 52% completion rate

So has he shown improvement? 

DUUUHHHHHHHH

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I would give him a C / C+. 

First drive - A

Rest of the first half - D

Second half - B-

So his back to back 80 yard drives on the road playing with only TWO of his teammates from last season (the rest new faces) in which he went 80% completion percentage and kept the chains moving to win the game, that only gets a B- ?   Damn.  

• Like (+1) 1