Josh Allen - week one report card

rayray808

Allen played OK.  One fumble was clearly his fault, the other fumble didn't matter because the Bills were going for it on fourth down, and the play was blown up and wouldn't have succeeded even if there was no fumble.  So it would have been a turnover on downs or a turnover from a fumble. 

His passing was much more accurate today than usually the case last year.  He has developed the ability to drop the ball between two defenders in front of and behind the receiver.  He had very few cringe-worthy passes.

As for Darnold, he was OK too, but he was playing against a much better pass defense so his yards were limited.  I don't think any Jets fans are calling him a bust.  He's going to be a very good player for a long time, and the Allen-Darnold rivalry (between two good friends) will be ours to enjoy for a decade.

If I have one concern on offense, it's not QB, it's O line.  It's better than last year but that's a low bar.  Either the Jets have a far above average D line, or the Bills are going to continue to struggle to open holes between the tackles. 

Kid played hard, does he have room for improvement of course he does but he overcame alot today and lead two 4th quarter drives for tds and got the win.

Nothing else matters, he is 1-0 and outplayed darnold 

Edited by Jerboski

1st half was a mother truckin' C-grade.

I was swearing like a trucker. My friend was swearing like a trucker.  People around us were swearing like truckers. 

If not for the turnovers,  i believe we go into the half at at least 17-0. The offense was definately moving the ball until the turnovers happened. 

2nd half was an A-. Overcoming the odds and score.  Making plays on 3rd downs.  Defense won us this game. Offense scored when needed. Allen was very good in second half. Singletary even better. 

Game as a whole..... B-

Edited by loyal2dagame

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Even the strip sack had more to do with Dawkins whiffing like crazy... Not that that isn't part of the game, but the one that was truly a horrible decision on Allens behalf is the one that got called back. 

The fumble on the sack is all on Allen. He saw the LB coming and tried to stiff arm him instead of just protecting the ball.

48 minutes ago, nrenegar said:

If there's one thing Allen has, it's the "it" factor. Today was the 4th game winning drive he's had in 11 games he's started and finished. It's consistency across the whole game that he needs to improve.

More like the "Sh" it factor...

An average team would have buried the Bills by 20+ points. You got lucky you were playing a crap team...

Still, I'm glad the Bills won. Not that NE needs any help, but the Jets are 2nd best team in the AFCE.

38 minutes ago, Tiffany980 said:

An average team would have buried the Bills by 20+ points. You got lucky you were playing a crap team...

Still, I'm glad the Bills won. Not that NE needs any help, but the Jets are 2nd best team in the AFCE.

Wtf is this? What team do you claim?  Certainly not the Bills. Must be an upset Jets fan. 

Edited by loyal2dagame

He had a 64% completion percentage!!!!

That was in large part due to him taking what was given in the first half. This shows him already starting to evolve and get away from trying to push every ball downfield while holding the ball too long. More than a few glimpses of “Non- Hero Ball.”

For all the completion percentage grief he has taken it surprises me no one ne seems to be talking about this.

44 minutes ago, Tiffany980 said:

They weren’t the second best team today NE fan?

1 hour ago, skibum said:

So far, he doesn't look a whole lot different from last year. The good and the bad. Still thinking run first on a lot of 3rd downs but usually making good on it, still generally not hitting guys in stride, still winning purely on will and guts, but not showing a lot of touch on throws. He was lucky he didn't have 2-3 more picks. Nice win, but there was a lot of ugly in that game. 

He threw two absolutely horrible passes that should have been interceptions.

One hit the DB in the hands and he dropped it.  The other was an INT but negated by a defensive holding penalty made away from the play.  Around that time in the game, Allen absolutely looked rattled and shaken, and his judgment was not sound.

To his credit, he rebounded from that though and regained his composure.

He did a little of everything in this game.  Good throws, bad throws, absolutely horrible throws, showed leadership, looked rattled, ran, scored a TD running, led a comeback win on the road.  He did a lot.

IMO, he will always struggle with consistency.  He needs to even out the highs and lows and play at a steady, elevated level.

I'm not sure he can do that, but this was, overall, a good game for his confidence I think based on how it finished.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

A

I don't think people realize how big a deal this is today.  

Jets fans and their media that covers them get to sit around and now question if they mistakenly traded up and whether or not they took the "right" Josh.  

Hostile environment.  Dead to rights.  Overcame the TO's (I put only ONE on Josh he was just fine early on considering we wanted him to literally do everything).  The critics will point those out as more evidence that he's not good or whatever nonsense........ but most honestly watching has to see Josh passes the eye test.  Without question.  We'll have to live with the turnovers because he gambles he takes chances----he's STILL RAW.  But he's a gamer and a dog.  Period.  

Just a great great win.  

Actually, if you go to their forum (gang green) there is a thread comparing Sam Darnold to Sanchez ?

7 minutes ago, dakrider said:

For those who want to give JA a C or worse, then by definition Darnold should get a better grade. 175 yards and 1 TD, no ints. 
Except not sure how anyone watching the game could say Darnold outperformed Allen. 

What definition are you going by?

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

He had a 64% completion percentage!!!!

That was in large part due to him taking what was given in the first half. This shows him already starting to evolve and get away from trying to push every ball downfield while holding the ball too long. More than a few glimpses of “Non- Hero Ball.”

For all the completion percentage grief he has taken it surprises me no one ne seems to be talking about this.

They weren’t the second best team today NE fan?

When the Bills were getting their butts handed to them, EVERYONE here was trashing the Bills. The season was over, you said. Laughingstocks, you said. Suddenly, you're good? Please... NE, NJ, Buffalo, Miami...

I agree with the -- I don't think we fully understand how good he was and the most important time of the game the 4th quarter

first half- tough breaks, drop passes turning into interceptions, deflected interceptions, o line getting whipped a bit, terrible field position, We need a punt returner not a punt catcher couple bad decision cost us drives and a safety although I think it was a bad call from the ref looking with ball carriers back to him (as in where is the ball, no idea because he cant see it)

second half- defense holds us in it, playing under pressure to do something on offense , making big throws on third and long as well as willking to air it out- not afraid. To come up with the win, coming from behind in a hostile site, against a good defense that was ready on opening day. I think is almost a best case scenario- builds confidence and belief right out of the gate. 

Overall B-

Fourth Quarter A+

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

A

I don't think people realize how big a deal this is today.  

Jets fans and their media that covers them get to sit around and now question if they mistakenly traded up and whether or not they took the "right" Josh.  

Sam Darnold failure in massive Jets spot really stings

Sam Darnold had the ball and the game in his hands, exactly what Adam Gase wanted, exactly what MetLife Stadium wanted, exactly what he himself wanted.

These are the times when you define yourself as a franchise quarterback, when you are having a bad day at the office and then you choke off a colossal choke and go win the game at the end and get everyone talking about that second-year leap you are poised to make.

And so an entire stadium pleaded:

Go win it, Sam.

And Sam couldn’t, Sam didn’t.....

https://nypost.com/2019/09/08/sam-darnold-failure-in-massive-jets-spot-really-stings/