Josh Allen - week one report card

rayray808

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

The Allen hard on

I am completely objective on Allen. I am telling you what I saw today. I loved the first drive. He was decisive and accurate. The fumble was not on him. But the rest of his first half was rough - he wasn't helped by the play calling - indeed he was hurt by it. But he was visibly rattled. His body language was poor and his head looked scrambled. 

To respond late on he deserves credit. But it irritates the hell out of me when people presume I have some bias against Allen because I wasn't a fan of the pick. Some people might be childish enough to have those sorts of biases. I am not among them. I judge him completely fairly on what I see. 

• Like (+1) 6

If you're a JA fan A, if indifferent probably a B/B+, and the ones who dislike him C-.

Beasley 100% responsible for the interception & another drop (pros catch passes and don't let it bounce off their helmet).

Ran the ball well and brought them back.

Very few "bad" passes.

A couple of bad passes too and an int called back.

Loved that the Bills wanted to move the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

I would say solid B+. Loved the accuracy, progressions, and stuff over the middle. Interesting that he took very few (maybe 1) shot downfield, but that didn’t bother me.

i don’t mind the interceptions and fumbles (as others have said, arguably none are his fault). But he had probably 2-3 really horrendous decisions that were flat-out bad decisions (the near pick near the goal line and the pick that came back on the penalty). He needs to clean that up.

• Like (+1) 2

I am not comparing Allen to anyone good yet since he has a ways to go, but I remember a few Bills games in the 90's were Kelly and the offense were awful in the first three quarters and then would find a way to get it done in the end.  Allen did that today but gets a big assist from the defense for only allowing eight points.

He not going to get away with four turnovers in a half too many times, but a road win against a division rival is a good way to start the season.  I give him a B- for the day.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

64.8% with 3 drops. He was poised today and made a concerted effort to stay in the pocket more. I was shocked we didn't throw deep all day.  B- is about right. Good comeback road win but work to be done.

I thought he played well, and the INT pick six was not his fault at all, regardless if it was not a perfect pass. But it's tough to say 64.8 with three drops when he had one or two INT drops as well.

I thought overall he played pretty well, the worst part for me was in the 3rd after the safety. He seemed to get a little rattled after coming back from the half and bad luck still seeming to follow him. He seemed rattled on the drive that followed, but I really liked how things went after that seemed like coaches slowed things down started using Singletary and he calmed right back down.

Edited by Warcodered

50 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Josh Allen did two important things today: he led a team, and he won a game AWAY against a DIVISION RIVAL when nothing was going our way and they were even down 0-16.

GO BILLS!

Agree, he pulled it out when it mattered.  But I disagree that nothing was going our way.  The Bills were touching the Jets D up consistently.  Can't be sloppy with the rock and it give it away.  What didn't go the Bills way in the first half was self-inflicted.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

C

Started off strong. Looked a bit rattled when things started going wrong but came back and finished strong.

Looked panicked after the first 4 or so completions. He was trying to extend every play and leaving himself open for some serious shots.