Rich Gannon: not a great color guy

17 hours ago, arcane said:

Burst out laughing when i realized he was describing John Brown, and then at the way the announcer calmly corrected it before moving on, first letting him ramble for 30 seconds

What was great was how the announcer forcefully said the name BELLAMY right after Gannon spoke.  I was so pumped up after getting home from the game, I watched the game on the DVR  from 11-1:30 AM just to see what the announcers were saying.  When they got down 16-0 I was laughing and daring the Jets to score again since I knew the game ended 17-16.  Comeback games are fun to watch again after coming home from the stadium.  

21 minutes ago, eball said:

Gannon seems to be mailing it in.  His experience lends itself to being able to evaluate the plays happening in front of him but it's pretty clear he's not doing very much research beforehand about the individual rosters.

That’s inexcusable.

A lot of people never liked Brent Musburger, but I caught a bit of him calling the Thursday game on radio and it occurred to me just how good he was.  Knew every player, described exactly what was happening — who was in motion, who made the tackle, etc — and in real time, not 10 seconds after the play ends (Greg Gumbel).  I’ll take that all day over some lazy bum like Gannon who can’t be bothered to even know they starting skill position players!

17 hours ago, Ennjay said:

My wife suggested today that instead of the regular network color guys they should hire a homer of the week for each team (yes, a three-person booth) so there are guys who know each team and can talk intelligently about who's playing.  It's not the worst idea I've ever heard.

They used to do something like this for the Premiere League where they would have a fan from each team calling the game in the same booth. It wasn't actually live, but was still pretty entertaining.  

As the digital platforms expand, there's really no reason they couldn't offer something like this an optional audio stream. Of course the NFL would never do it because they probably think Rich Gannon is fantastic.

17 hours ago, Ennjay said:

As bad as Gannon was, it started when Harlan said the opening kickoff touchback would come out to the 20.  How long's it been since they changed that rule?

Harlan is OK, but maybe he should switch to decaf.  Not every play deserves his OMG doomsday excitement voice.  For example, I liked the four sacks but it's not the most incredible performance in the history of football -- "that's the FOURTH SACK TODAY by the BUFFALO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My wife suggested today that instead of the regular network color guys they should hire a homer of the week for each team (yes, a three-person booth) so there are guys who know each team and can talk intelligently about who's playing.  It's not the worst idea I've ever heard.

I think Harlan does radio as well, so some of the excitement might be from the need to paint a picture with only the audio for the listener.  I'll take him any day over Joe "monotone" Buck any day.

edit: on this video posted in another thread it doesn't seem like he was all that excited about the 4th sack: https://www.buffalobills.com/video/every-bills-sack-against-sam-darnold-week-1

Edited by co_springs_billsfan

18 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I guess I’ve never paid any attention to it before. Here a few things he said that bugged me: 

-Called Josh Bellamy John Brown and went on a 30 second rant about how “Smoke Brown” would be good for the Jets (both #15 to be fair)

-Said the Bills have spent a lot of money on their DL since McD has been there. Not true. They’ve extended Hughes, signed Murphy to a reasonable deal, DECLINED a 5th year option on a player who was great today at DE, and drafted a 1st round talent. 

-Criticized Allen for the pick 6 when I don’t think it was really on him as much as it was on Beasley. 

- couldn’t get off LeVeon Bell’s jock, even when the game had clearly moved into new territory. I appreciate discussing free agent moves and how that effects the game but we have a whole offseason for that.

- Finally, there was a failed jailbreak screen to Zay Jones where Robert Foster CLEARY blocked the wrong guy and he didn’t even analyze the play, just called it a bad play call

All in all, I just really can’t stand the national broadcast being inept to provide me a good service for watching the games. Idc if you are a HOF QB, Id rather a guy who is invested in the roster and the game, and can comment of what is actually happening on the field. 

Am am I being unrealistic in my expectations? 

P.S. I like Kevin Harlan.

I guess that’s the kind of stuff with Foster that keeps him from rising the depth chart 

18 hours ago, bills11 said:

John brown the Jets wr they call him smoke "..Gannon Is terrible 

Yeah I heard him spouting that off as well when Darnold completed a pass to their number 15, Bellamy. Complete idiot. You would have thought someone stole his lunch money when the Bills came back to take the lead, eventually winning the game. 

These crews hold production meetings on the Saturdays before the game and they go over all their talking points and the things they're gonna highlight. I'm certain at the top of their list for this game was, "Le'veon Bell play football again after no play football for 600 days! We made a counter, lookie!" I just want to punch them all in the friggin' face. I used to throw on NFL Network for background noise back in the day but I don't think I've tuned in to actually watch anything on that network in years. I quit watching pre-game babble years ago as well. As soon as 1 PM hits, I turn on the TV, lol. Even though I've minimized my exposure to these braindead muppets, I still wanna jab myself in the GD ears when I have to listen to a putz like Gannon. Harlan seems to get a lot of love on here but he was irritating to me yesterday. I dunno, maybe I'm just a cranky old grump. I've tried before to mute the TV announcers and turn on WGR (even though I think Murph is also a putz, but I'm interested to hear Eric Wood, he's always been very articulate) but the timing never syncs up, the radio broadcast is a little bit ahead of the TV broadcast. And unfortunately I don't have a DVR box since I don't really watch that much TV, couldn't justify the extra cost for features I'm not gonna use much at all.

As bad as some of these crews are, they'll never be as god-awful as the ESPN dillholes that called Great Tedy Bruschi Comeback Game of 2005. "WHAT AN ASTONISHING CHAMPION OF HOPE AND GRACE! A beacon of heavenly light illuminating the entire galaxy! The man just sneezed on the sideline, GOOD GOD THIS MAN IS A MIRACLE!" Dude was a complete non-factor all game yet they talked about him for three straight hours. Made a play counter for him, even. Had zero tackles and zero impact, but his every move was praised like he wasn't the second coming of Jesus Christ, but like he shoved ol' JC right out the way and become the first and only coming. 

Edited by blacklabel

17 hours ago, DrDonut said:

Wasn't there some stat about Marshall Faulk and another RB getting 1000 yds rushing and receiving, and saying that Bell had a chance for that this year? Didn't Thurman do that 3 seasons in a row? Where are the props for that?!?!?!?

No he did not.  He did average over 2000 yards from scrimmage over 4 years though.

Edited by mattynh

5 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

So many of you are blind, it was a bad throw.

Then it should have been an incompletion. Beasley is the entire reason that throw ends up an INT. He had a beautiful scoop to pop it right up in the air. These things are not mutually exclusive. It was a bad throw and Beasley causes the INT. Both of these can be true. In this case they are. 

18 hours ago, DrDonut said:

Wasn't there some stat about Marshall Faulk and another RB getting 1000 yds rushing and receiving, and saying that Bell had a chance for that this year? Didn't Thurman do that 3 seasons in a row? Where are the props for that?!?!?!?

Thurm never had a year with 1000 receiving yards

Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk are the only players to ever do it.

Edited by Bangarang

28 minutes ago, teef said:

do you think it was more on beasley or allen?

Beasley had to contort to try to reach the bad throw leading to it popping up off his body. It was a fluke popup, not caused by Beasley, it was a result of a down and away bullet pass. Gannon was right IMO.

1 hour ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I think that pop up was more on Beasley than Allen

CTE is catching up to Gannon.

1 hour ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Beasley had to contort to try to reach the bad throw leading to it popping up off his body. It was a fluke popup, not caused by Beasley, it was a result of a down and away bullet pass. Gannon was right IMO.

it's likely just a bit of both.  catchable ball, but not a great throw.  the majority of the time it doesn't turn into a pick 6, but that's just how the first half went.

During the SB years and up until probably the end of the Flutie bills we had much better commentators for our games. Then a few things happened, the NFL expanded and the quality of these announcing crews was seriously diluted, A lot of the old school quality announcers got old and retired and the most important factor: the Bills started to suck and became irrelevant. For almost two decades we have had to suffer through the worst crews calling our games with inept color commentary from ex players who haven't done any homework. They usually got the traditional Buffalo crib sheet, Bad weather, chicken wings, playoff drought, 4 SB losses, homerun throwback, etc, etc. Gannon isn't great but he is slightly more tolerable than Solomon Wilcotts or Dan Dierdoff (and his bromance with "Tom").