Rich Gannon: not a great color guy

I guess I’ve never paid any attention to it before. Here a few things he said that bugged me: 

-Called Josh Bellamy John Brown and went on a 30 second rant about how “Smoke Brown” would be good for the Jets (both #15 to be fair)

-Said the Bills have spent a lot of money on their DL since McD has been there. Not true. They’ve extended Hughes, signed Murphy to a reasonable deal, DECLINED a 5th year option on a player who was great today at DE, and drafted a 1st round talent. 

-Criticized Allen for the pick 6 when I don’t think it was really on him as much as it was on Beasley. 

- couldn’t get off LeVeon Bell’s jock, even when the game had clearly moved into new territory. I appreciate discussing free agent moves and how that effects the game but we have a whole offseason for that.

- Finally, there was a failed jailbreak screen to Zay Jones where Robert Foster CLEARY blocked the wrong guy and he didn’t even analyze the play, just called it a bad play call

All in all, I just really can’t stand the national broadcast being inept to provide me a good service for watching the games. Idc if you are a HOF QB, Id rather a guy who is invested in the roster and the game, and can comment of what is actually happening on the field. 

Am am I being unrealistic in my expectations? 

P.S. I like Kevin Harlan.

• Like (+1) 5

These guys get a pre-game narrative in their head and won’t deviate from it.

case in point was Bell— they were going to say he had a great game regardless. So then they kept skewing his stats all game to justify their point (eg, showing his “combined” yards instead of rushing). In truth, Bell was okay, but not as good as Singletary. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Gannon obviously didn’t do his homework on the Bills.  Just another example of media give two farts about our team.  

See like this is the problem. You don’t have to be a beat writer to know the ins and outs of the team. I feel like I could cover 10-12 teams tomorrow and probably relatively knowledgeable about their staff, players, administration, etc.

This guy does it for a living, and has a whole host of spotters and a media team helping him with stats/commentary. 

Give me a guy who’s just a bum in his basement breaking down film and being honest. I’d pay for that commentary. 

Just pay attention a little bit! 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

-Said the Bills have spent a lot of money on their DL since McD has been there. Not true. They’ve extended Hughes, signed Murphy to a reasonable deal, DECLINED a 5th year option on a player who was great today at DE, and drafted a 1st round talent. 

That one is true, otherwise I agree with you.  Star and Murphy have two of the four biggest cap hits on the team, and they extended Hughes to a big contract.  So three of the four biggest cap hits are on the DL.  That's spending big money. 

But yea, I agree with you 100%.  He just makes a ton of mistakes  

Edited by Crayola64
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Agree Gannon was terrible

But, the Bills have paid Star, Murphy, Hughes, J. Phillips and invested picks in Oliver and H. Phillips.

That is a ton of cash and picks on the DL.

Sure you can make that argument because it’s on paper and an easy one. It’s obvious to someone not in tune with the franchise. Is that the story of this team? No way. We’re still in the hunt for pass rush help and are likely looking to invest at the DE position next offseason. But they cling to something like that because it’s in the numbers. How about the commentary on any of the following: 

-Edmunds growth 

-Lorax playing DT and rushing the passer

-Shaq Lawson’s declined 5th year option

-an undrafted second year corner in wallace

-Taron johnson who had an up and down game

-Ed Oliver?!?!?

thats just the defense 

Yeah, but did you know that LeVeon Bell did not play for over 600 days?     That was almost as bad as the Steelers/Seahawks super bowl where it felt like the announcers were getting commission for every time they said that Jerome Bettis's hometown was Detroit.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Haha (+1) 1