Clock was continually running after out of bounds plays

SJDK

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

They havent changed this rule for probably a decade. 2min in the first half, 5 min in the second half, if forward progress stopped clock runs.

Refs were good today for the most part other than missing illegal man downfield on the called back Jets TD.

The safety was an awful call. He was clearly across the goal line.

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

If contact starts inbound, they consider it an in bounds play, so you need to run out of bound untouched. 

So all the defense has to do is briefly touch the offensive player with a single finger on his way out of bounds to keep the clock running?

Edited by class_of_2012

Just now, class_of_2012 said:

So all the defense has to do is touch the offensive player with a single finger on his way out of bounds to keep the clock running?

Someone check me, but i think if the "tackle" starts,  then... so,  I think if they consider the contact is the beginning of the tackle... so if a finger which leads to a likely tackle. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Someone check me, but i think if the "tackle" starts,  then... so,  I think if they consider the contact is the beginning of the tackle... so if a finger which leads to a likely tackle. 

No it's about forward progress. Once it is stopped the defense is not punished by the guy stepping out of bounds.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SJDK said:

Did anyone else notice how bad the refs were at stopping the clock on out of bounds plays in the second half? Something was going on there that the league will look at. Especially the fourth quarter.

Yes, happened many times, especially in fourth quarter.

Not a player was touched, going OOB and the clock continued. I thought maybe there was some new rule.

7 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

No it's about forward progress. Once it is stopped the defense is not punished by the guy stepping out of bounds.

BS, there was no forward progress. Clock was stopped by phantom touches.

15 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I've got the game on DVR and I'll rewatch.  Incomplete pass or timeout always stops the clock until the next snap.  OB before 5:00, clock is started after ball is spotted.  I will review and report back.  

It was blatant.  Clocked was usually stopped for 2-3 seconds on OB plays.  I only focused on Bills' plays, don't know if it happened on Jets' drives. 

14 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

They haven't changed this rule for probably a decade. 2min in the first half, 5 min in the second half, if forward progress stopped clock runs.

This is 100% correct afaik.  And it's been that way for at least 15 years.  I know because they even programmed it into Madden 2005 (best Madden ever). 

The game clock still runs when a player is pushed out of bounds for the majority of the game.  I think in Madden the cutoff didn't start until the 4min mark, but 5 minutes is probably correct IRL.  

If I recall, it was in the 4th quarter.  We went out of bonds with 5:03 on the clock.  The clock stopped for the refs set the ball, once the ball was set, the clock continued to run (as it should) down to 5:00 and continued to run into 4min and change before the Bills snapped the ball.  I thought the clock would have stopped at 5min in this scenario, but I guess not?

11 minutes ago, Jobot said:

If I recall, it was in the 4th quarter.  We went out of bonds with 5:03 on the clock.  The clock stopped for the refs set the ball, once the ball was set, the clock continued to run (as it should) down to 5:00 and continued to run into 4min and change before the Bills snapped the ball.  I thought the clock would have stopped at 5min in this scenario, but I guess not?

Don't think so.  The cutoff refers to plays after the cutoff, not before it.  It would be weird to have the game clock ticking down to 5:00 and then stop without also stopping the play clock (like they do for the 2 minute warning).  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Cheeseburger_in_paradise said:

I noticed, and was wondering if I'd missed a rule change. Our coaches weren't complaining.

my thought exactly. On the 3 and 4 QB sweep where allen picked up the first and ran out of bounds the clock did not stop. That was the play that caught my attention. 

16 hours ago, SJDK said:

Did anyone else notice how bad the refs were at stopping the clock on out of bounds plays in the second half? Something was going on there that the league will look at. Especially the fourth quarter.

I noticed it multiple times. I was amazed and how obvious it was and how often it happened. It even happened when guys went out of bounds untouched.  Very strange.

18 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Clock is restarted in first half until 2 min warning. Its 5 min in 4th quarter.

Clock runs if players forward progress is stopped in bounds. Not fair to the defense to stop a guy only to have him go back a step and get out of bounds.

I didn't see any errors.

That's the one people tend to forget.

18 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The only one I saw that was blatant was the end of the first half when Singletary ran OB and the clock continued to run down to 2:00.  Clock only stops on OB plays in last 5 mins of each half.  It is restarted when the ball is spotted for play.

OK, I was wrong on the rule, it's the last 2 minutes of the first half and last 5 minutes of the 2nd half.  In the 2nd QTR,  on Singletary's pass catch where he ran out of bounds, the clock was stopped for 7 seconds, then restarted when the ball was spotted for play, at which point the game clock was 2:27 and the play clock was at :33.  The Bills dicked around and didn't get a play off in 27 seconds before the 2-minute warning.  They broke the huddle at 2:11 and let the clock trickle down.

In the 4th QTR, Motor is tackled for a loss on a bad swing pass at 3:44.  He gets OB, but was moving backwards, so the clock does not stop.  After a false start on the Bills, Motor gets OB on a flat pass, clock stops at 3:07.  Next play, Smoke for the TD.  I don't see any other clock shenanigans.

Thanks for making me do this.  I got to slo-mo Levi's game-saving PD.  No PI, just a heads up play after being beaten like a rented step-mule.