Clock was continually running after out of bounds plays

SJDK

The only one I saw that was blatant was the end of the first half when Singletary ran OB and the clock continued to run down to 2:00.  Clock only stops on OB plays in last 5 mins of each half.  It is restarted when the ball is spotted for play.

EDIT:  I was wrong, it's only last two minutes of 1st half.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The only one I saw that was blatant was the end of the first half when Singletary ran OB and the clock continued to run down to 2:00.  Clock only stops on OB plays in last 5 mins of each half.  It is restarted when the ball is spotted for play.

4 minutes ago, SJDK said:

Did anyone else notice how bad the refs were at stopping the clock on out of bounds plays in the second half? Something was going on there that the league will look at. Especially the fourth quarter.

I noticed that too.

Just now, SJDK said:

There were many in the fourth quarter that I picked up and I don’t think everything was on the up and up

I've got the game on DVR and I'll rewatch.  Incomplete pass or timeout always stops the clock until the next snap.  OB before 5:00, clock is started after ball is spotted.  I will review and report back.  

8 minutes ago, SJDK said:

Did anyone else notice how bad the refs were at stopping the clock on out of bounds plays in the second half? Something was going on there that the league will look at. Especially the fourth quarter.

This is actually how it normally is...I’m  not sure what the rule are for clock stoppage, but I’ve noticed it usually keeps running unless there is only limited time remaining or it’s an incomplete pass.

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

This is actually how it normally is...I’m  not sure what the rule are for clock stoppage, but I’ve noticed it usually keeps running unless there is only limited time remaining or it’s an incomplete pass.

It's supposed to be the clock is stopped OB and then as soon as it is set is it now 25. As they do it it is 40 from the end of the play. But the Refs very often call plays down in bounds when they are not really down, and then keep it running in the 40 scenario.

25 minutes ago, SJDK said:

The rule is that the clock only stops within the last 5 minutes of each half on out of bounds plays. Otherwise it stos briefly until the ball is spotted then continues running. Its been like this for several years now at least.

So this actually has more to do with you not knowing the rules than the refs.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

The rule is that the clock only stops within the last 5 minutes of each half on out of bounds plays. Otherwise it stos briefly until the ball is spotted then continues running. Its been like this for several years now at least.

There was a play in the fourth quarter where the Jet was clearly tackled out of bounds, and the officials called the tackle in bounds and allowed it to run as a 40 second play. But it should have been a tackle OB. They do it often.

23 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It is 2 minutes in the first half.

Edited by class_of_2012
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Count me in that group as well then... I still thought it was only stopped inside two minutes.  Somehow, I haven't noticed the change.

Do we still not know what a catch is?  That's my biggest concern... it used to be so easy.

I wish the league would stop making rule changes each year based on how they thought the playoffs should have turned out the year before.

43 minutes ago, SJDK said:

The ref can decide if it was a run out or a push out starting in-bounds.

7 minutes ago, Sandhill Mike said:

Count me in that group as well then... I still thought it was only stopped inside two minutes.  Somehow, I haven't noticed the change.

Do we still not know what a catch is?  That's my biggest concern... it used to be so easy.

I wish the league would stop making rule changes each year based on how they thought the playoffs should have turned out the year before.

They havent changed this rule for probably a decade. 2min in the first half, 5 min in the second half, if forward progress stopped clock runs.

Refs were good today for the most part other than missing illegal man downfield on the called back Jets TD.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1