A Few Thoughts About the Jets Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Virgil, that’s a mighty strange write up for a mighty strange game. You’re kind of all over the place on this one dude. The Bills Defense was nothing short of amazing today. Sure Bell played well but he’s supposed to. The Bills offense turned in a solid three quarters only falling asleep in the second. What messed up everyone’s perception of the Opener were the turnovers! Josh really needs to clean it up. 

Virgil -

I haven't finished reading, and I don't know if anyone responded.  Ford was in for a series or two, then Ty came in.  Ford came back, still in the first half.   Second half I think it was all Ty.  Ford was standing on the sideline. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Virgil -

I haven't finished reading, and I don't know if anyone responded.  Ford was in for a series or two, then Ty came in.  Ford came back, still in the first half.   Second half I think it was all Ty.  Ford was standing on the sideline. 

McD said the plan was always to play Ford two series and then Ty one, and then keep doing it. That didn't change to the second half at some point. 

5 hours ago, stony said:

I didn’t think Daboll called a bad game. Some bad luck for sure early on. Tough to judge him on a 4-to first half. 

I think McD is taking pages out of Belichick's book, left and right.   Belichick has games like that.  If he thinks you can't stop the pass, he keeps passing.  I think that's what we saw today.  Next week will be different, because the Giants are different.  

4 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

What?  Bell often slipped through and we missed the first tackle, but that is par for the course with him.  They did an excellent job getting the second and third guy there

That's what I thought.   I'd forgotten how good Bell is.   He is just really, really tough to bring down.   The Bills' job was not to let Bell beat them, because there was very little chance anyone else was going to beat them.  The Bills limited Bell, and that's how they won. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think that the first 15-20 plays being passes is a little over-played. It looked to me that Josh was given a binary choice on half of them. If the Jets line up one way it’s a run; if they line up another it’s a pass. And the Jets kept doing what they were doing. 

Agreed - they kept the same personnel and lined up tight and they would shift to spread because the Jets kept base personnel in and passing gave the Bills the numbers advantage.

They way outgained the Jets and moved the Ball with ease when they had them spread out.  They then hurt themselves with missed blocks leading to a fumble.  A tipped pass leading to a pick 6.  Another tipped pass getting picked.  

I preferred to see the offense they broke out this game early than the more run oriented gameplans of the last few years.

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

On playcalling:

I dont think it was proving "they were right" after that first drive ended with a fumble.  Allen threw a bit low and it was an unlucky bounce.  They just moved the ball the entire field, why change what worked?

I think because you need to settle your young QB back down. It should have happened before the pick. That series backed up was one where a 3 and out and a punt is not a bad outcome. That is the definition of situational football. I didn't want them to abandon the game plan. I just wanted them to take the time to calm Josh down and take the game out of his hands for a series. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think because you need to settle your young QB back down. It should have happened before the pick. That series backed up was one where a 3 and out and a punt is not a bad outcome. That is the definition of situational football. I didn't want them to abandon the game plan. I just wanted them to take the time to calm Josh down and take the game out of his hands for a series. 

I don't think "calm Josh down" is the way they're coaching him.   They're challenging him to play the position as the game plan calls for it.   The game plan doesn't take into account the fact that he's in his second season.   The game plan called for throwing the ball against the Jets, so they kept throwing.   

Now, I hear what you're saying, and it makes sense, but I really don't think the Bills' coaches are coaching Allen that way.  They're expecting Allen to do everything right now, and they're willing to live with the consequences.  

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think "calm Josh down" is the way they're coaching him.   They're challenging him to play the position as the game plan calls for it.   The game plan doesn't take into account the fact that he's in his second season.   The game plan called for throwing the ball against the Jets, so they kept throwing.   

Now, I hear what you're saying, and it makes sense, but I really don't think the Bills' coaches are coaching Allen that way.  They're expecting Allen to do everything right now, and they're willing to live with the consequences.  

If that is true than McDermott needs to stop saying "situational football" every time a microphone is thrust in his face. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

If that is true than McDermott needs to stop saying "situational football" every time a microphone is thrust in his face. 

As I said, I hear what you're saying.   Wrong place on the field to be passing.   But it also may be, as seemed to be the case, that they didn't think they could move the ball running, and they definitely thought they could move it passing.   So McD may not agree with you that the situation called for a conservative approach.  

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

What happens when you try running out the clock vs NE or KC when you're up ONLY 1 POINT?  I think, at least hope, you know the answer.

We weren’t playing them. It’s game planning. I’m not attempting to be argumentative, but game planning is based on the opposition. The Jets were hardly proving to be an offensive juggernaut. This was the right strategy at the right time. Playing to let Brady or Mahomes have time on the clock would have elicited a completely different reaction from myself and every rational poster here.

15 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I can't disagree with that.  I just know that Daboll being of the NE lineage will do what he thinks will work.  He must have thought that would work.  If he wasn't driving up and down the field both times we turned the ball over I would have a larger problem with his playcalling but we weren't having a problem moving the ball.  We were having a problem with turnovers.

Excellent post, it is not Dabol's fault they kept shooting themselves in the foot.  Maybe McDermott finally realizes he needs to run a real NFL offense to win in this league instead of going for the 3 yards & a cloud of dust crap that we have seen for over the years.  I thought Allen looked way more comfortable in the pocket then he did last it year.  it was encouraging.  

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

.  Shockingly, Allen should’ve had more interceptions than the stat line told as a penalty brought back a pass that should never been thrown. 

Am I the only one who thinks that Allen SAW the penalty.  It was right where he was looking and the way he acted right after the play (pointing to the flag) makes me think it was one of those "I've got a penalty for a first down, might as well chuck it up and see what happens."  Now...in fairness, I think the interception off the ball tipped at the line was TOTALLY his fault.  It wasn't one of those where someone in the middle of the line reaches up and tips the ball.  Allen was looking right at the rusher and tried to throw it through him.

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Allen SAW the penalty.  It was right where he was looking and the way he acted right after the play (pointing to the flag) makes me think it was one of those "I've got a penalty for a first down, might as well chuck it up and see what happens."  Now...in fairness, I think the interception off the ball tipped at the line was TOTALLY his fault.  It wasn't one of those where someone in the middle of the line reaches up and tips the ball.  Allen was looking right at the rusher and tried to throw it through him.

Doubtful.  QB’s typically only do that on Offside.  

The DB baited Allen by staying a step behind the receiver.  The minute Allen threw it, he jumped.  

Also, I think the flag was throw as Allen released.  Could be wrong 

13 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Unsung hero of the game was Mitch Morse.  We usually have all kinds of problems with the Jets front 7.  Now they have their new toy Williams and outside of the play he blew up on 4th down.......he was silent as was most of their D-line.  Oline overall was great in pass pro.  Morse especially.  The guy was pulling and kicking out leading plays the announcers made notice of this to.

In fact the only pass I saw Morse get beat on.....watch the game winning TD again.  Not sure who it was but he gets in to disrupt Josh just a bit but Allen just steps up and hits Brown for the TD.

I agree and thought Morse was really good. Especially for a guy who hasn't played in awhile. A few times guys got beat, but the protection schemes and calls were on point. I also really liked the edge Feliciano plays with. He's going to get penalties here and there and he seems limited athletically, but that boy plays nasty. He was just destroying McClendon and Williams on run plays most of the day. I was really impressed. 

• Like (+1) 1