A Few Thoughts About the Jets Game, in no particular order

Virgil

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

He looked like he was trying to throw the game away out of frustration at one point in the third quarter.

A very bad showing against what is widely considered a bottom 5 secondary in the NFL, should be considered borderline terrible. 

It is more than Allen vs the secondary. There was multiple times when a Jet pass rusher was not accounted for. The Jets have a good Dline. The bad Jets secondary show themselves by dropping INTs and allowing Brown to score. 

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

Allen is a weird player for this fan base man. There’s an odd emotional connection. He played absolutely terrible today. 

At at some point it can’t always be the HC, OC, OL, WR, and RB’s. The dude had a sh*tty day where he looked like the same exact player as last year in regards to accuracy/precision. Can’t we just call a spade a spade every once in a while man. 

He sucked today. It happens sometimes. If it keeps happening, he’ll be out of a job and we will search for a new QB . That’s the honest appraisal of the day. Not “he kept trying after 3.5 quarters of bad football, here is my feel good MVP”.

In a word, this is ridiculous.  Like any young WB he has things to learn and a couple throws to take back.  But to say he was inaccurate just pretty much shows an ignorance of the definition of that word.  Even the potential picks the ball was right there.  He still needs to make his reads quicker and get the ball out sooner, but you could see him do much better in his progressions and the vast, vast majority of his throws were right there.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The tackling today was awful. Especially by Milano. The D played their hearts out but too many times people slipped free. The O line showed some tempered improvement from last year. Dawkins can't get burned that easily again and Ford struggled at RT.  But there was improvement. Disappointing performance by Cole.  Josh obviously loves him but he had 2 huge drops today.  One resulting in the pic6. Bojo was unimpressive. And we've found our RB1.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

In a word, this is ridiculous.  Like any young WB he has things to learn and a couple throws to take back.  But to say he was inaccurate just pretty much shows an ignorance of the definition of that word.  Even the potential picks the ball was right there.  He still needs to make his reads quicker and get the ball out sooner, but you could see him do much better in his progressions and the vast, vast majority of his throws were right there.

Be less pretentious...go scream into your pillow about precision vs. accuracy. Stop trying to change an entire community that clearly uses this as an industry standard. 

He was regularly putting balls late and behind his receiver.

Just now, Mango said:

Be less pretentious...go scream into your pillow about precision vs. accuracy. Stop trying to change an entire community that clearly uses this as an industry standard. 

He was regularly putting balls late and behind his receiver.

No he wasn’t.  You’re being absurd now.  Quit looking for negatives that aren’t there.

• Like (+1) 2

Nothing wrong with the play calling at all.  Bills were moving the ball consistently.  Those turnovers killed them.  Game could have been a blow out for the Bills.

Bell is still good.  That said, he still only averaged 3 yards a carry.  Bills have a lot to build off of.

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The tackling today was awful. Especially by Milano. The D played their hearts out but too many times people slipped free.

What?  Bell often slipped through and we missed the first tackle, but that is par for the course with him.  They did an excellent job getting the second and third guy there

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, purple haze said:

Nothing wrong with the play calling at all.  Bills were moving the ball consistently.  Those turnovers killed them.  Game could have been a blow out for the Bills.

Bell is still good.  That said, he still only averaged 3 yards a carry.  Bills have a lot to build off of.

They were moving the ball. But to me the Lee Smith and DiMarco grouping was dumb and should have been scrapped earlier, when it was glaringly apparent that the Jets were not falling for the run game. The result was the Bills passed every play, and two of the five guys were all but washouts. If we don't do that, and play Sweeney and Zay or Foster, we throw exactly the same amount but have more opportunities to make plays.

Just now, Crayola64 said:

What?  Bell often slipped through and we missed the first tackle, but that is par for the course with him.  They did an excellent job getting the second and third guy there

Bell is really good and great at that. We missed a few but played him on the run pretty well. I thought the Jets were dumb not to use him a lot more.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

They were moving the ball. But to me the Lee Smith and DiMarco grouping was dumb and should have been scrapped earlier, when it was glaringly apparent that the Jets were not falling for the run game. The result was the Bills passed every play, and two of the five guys were all but washouts. If we don't do that, and play Sweeney and Zay or Foster, we throw exactly the same amount but have more opportunities to make plays.

Agree with you.  But I will say, at least they tried to use DiMarco finally in the pass game.  Watching this Cowboy/Giant game, Bills are going to come out throwing again.  Giants look yuck on D.  Allen has to avoid the turnovers.

Regarding he play calling, I wonder how many times (if any) Allen audibled out of a run?  Never know, they could have called more to have him waive it off for the pass based on D alignment...

Great write up Virgil!

And, regardless, stoked we won! :beer:

Edited by Heitz

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

*I wrote this right before the Brown TD as I was utterly defeated.  With that, you’ll see some bullets after some of the thoughts for the sake of fun.  The BBFS was real today.  I’m an anxious mess. 

For those of you who’s first rodeo this is, this is going to be about this game and only this game.  Thoughts about any player is not an overall summation of the player for the season or their career.  It’s a snapshot for just this moment.  I’m not going to get into the positives in this game or the “what could have beens” because results matter and in year 3 for this coaching staff, the expectations begin and end with playoff contention.  With that being said.... 

1 – Milano –I start here because he’s usually my unsung hero.  Not today.  Outside of one brutal hit, he was absolutely owned by Bell.  Honestly, I put this as much on Frazier as I do Milano, as I don’t think Milano was the right man to be covering him.  Bell’s speed was too much for him and Milano hesitated to cover on a few plays that really bit him in the ass.  Not a great day for the kid overall. 

2 – Lawson – Shaq gets my MVP vote today as he made some solid plays today in the backfield and looked like the player we were hoping he’d be when he was taken in the first round.  He showed great speed, bullrush, and tracked some players down from behind.  Strong game and a highlight on a defensive line that did much better today in overall pass rush with only 4 guys going in. 

*Post Win – Allen gets Co-MVP.  Regardless of all the mistakes.  Kid didn’t back down and pulled it out.  More on him later. 

3 – Offensive Line – I don’t even know what to say about these guys, but I think it’s relevant to talk about them since it was such a focus of the offseason.  The first Allen fumble was completely on Dawkins as he got absolutely smoked, leading to a clean, blindside hit on Allen.  Morse botched the snap on 4th and 2, even though Williams was on him immediately.  Other than that, Allen had a relatively clean pocket.  Now, there’s two points of context here.  The Jets front 4 seemed more concerned with not letting Allen scramble than they did rushing him.  Plus, our offensive scheme was too transparent.  We were either in power run formation or spread out.  There wasn’t a healthy mix of pass and rush to really get them into an overall rhythm.  They did have some strong pull plays in the last quarter to open some holes for Singletary.  Overall, I’d say there was an improvement from this unit, but again, bad game to judge them off of.  

*Side Note – Ty finished the game at RT and I completely missed how that happened.  Anyone?  (McD said in the post game that they rotated him in every 3rd series and that was the plan.  Interesting)

4 – “Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all-time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit.  Unfortunately, so is losing.” 

5 – Daboll – What the hell man?  No, I don’t blame you for the turnovers.  But I do believe you for the safety and overall lack of balanced offense.  I would have cut McCoy too if I knew we weren’t going to run the ball at all.  I get it, Williams runs a scary defense.  But to not even try to run the ball?  We either spread the field or power ran the ball making it a little too east for the defense to prepare for us.  Due to this crap overall playcall, after the first 4 drives, our offense had no real identity established and we never recovered.  Yeah, it looked good on the first drive, but you have to play four quarters and I’m not convinced we just played a top 5 defense today.  Time will tell.  If you want to run spread, then run the ball out of it too man.  Also, if it was your decision to go for it on 4th and 2, then that was a terrible call on 3rd and 2 with the QB sneak.  We needed points there.  The turnovers killed momentum sure, but you didn’t help with that safety and turnover on downs.  Be Better. 

*Post Brown TD Pass – I forgive you and with the win...I forgive you.  Just don’t start a game like that again, okay? 

6 – Singletary – Maybe it was Mosley leaving the game.  Maybe it was the Jets defense letting up a bit.  Either way, Singletary showed some solids burst and flashes of why Beane felt McCoy was expendable.  Any concerns I had about his speed went away quickly.  I think he could have scored a TD had he cut to the outside on a run, but overall provided a much-needed spark.  He had some nervous eyes and happy feet in the beginning, but rookies gonna rookie.  Maybe next game we can actually start him off earlier.   

7 – Tackling – I lost count of how many times we stopped a Jets player on 3rd down behind the first down line, only to have them break free or fall forward and get the first down.  It was infuriating and again, showed flashes of last year.  I didn’t write down the specifics of who specifically, and credit to Anderson and Bell for making plays for the Jets, but no team can give those plays away and let the offense extend drives like that; especially on the 4th and 1 where Bell found a way after getting his in the backfield immediately 

8 – Allen – Those fears around poor decision making didn’t get put to rest in this game.  Shockingly, Allen should’ve had more interceptions than the stat line told as a penalty brought back a pass that should never been thrown.  Allen looked great on the first drive.  I mean great.  He was accurate, he ran the hurry up, and looked like we were going to roll on offense.  Then, there was the fumble and then bullet into Beasley’s thigh which shot up into an INT returned for a TD.  After that, we saw first half of 2018 Allen on the field.  Some good, some bad, some head scratchers. 

*Post Brown TD Pass – Why you doing this to me Allen?  I thought we were on our way to being boys?  Amazing job having faith in Brown to just throw that ball up.  No matter what dumb things you do, I never see you shaken.  You don’t care what the score is.  The church or Tyrod appreciate that about you. 

9 – McD – That passion you showed on the first Jets TD that was eventually called back as offensive PI, maybe bust that out in regards to the turnovers and penalties your team committs.  Was that your decision to go for it on 4th down at the end of the first half?  If so, poor form boss.  You overall own prep, composure, penalties, and the outcome.  This is year 3 for you.  This was not a great showing for you and you need to get it together...fast. 

*After the win.  I’m sorry McD.  You know what this BBFS does to me.  But c’mon man, you can’t be turning the ball over like that.  Teams don’t win these games and you did.  Can you not toy with me like this?  But that culture you built in the offseason.  That showed up today.  These guys never quit.  Thank you and eat balls Rex Ryan

10 – Reality – We were shutout in the first half, turned the ball over 4 times, and just overall beat ourselves in this game.  Playoff teams don’t play this game often and stay playoff teams.  This is just one game, but it showed a lot of the mistakes we made last year and didn’t do anything to erase the fears that we will continue to give away games.  For a team that thought our offense was set after our Panthers preseason game, we were proven very wrong today.  Can the mistakes be fixed?  Yes.  But if we didn’t this offseason, who’s to say it’s going to happen soon enough 

*Post Win – Reality is we won and unlike previous years, this team didn’t roll over. 

Overall, we were somehow in this game at the end and could have walked away with a win.  We completely shot ourselves in the foot through a series of dumb, Billsy plays.  The final score indicates one game, the stats indicate another, but your eyes showed you a game that we gave away.  In a division where the Jets are up and coming, the Pats just got stronger, and the NFL doesn’t let a lot of teams into the playoffs, we can’t afford to give games like this away. 

1-0 Baby!  Go Bills!!!! 

You are right.  You are suffering from BBFS big time.  Get some medication.

i thought the game plan was exactly right.  The turnovers killed the effectiveness, but it was working.  Passing was the way to beat this team. They were daring them to do it and announced it ahead of time.  Lack of execution prevented this from being a blow out by halftime, but the game plan was working.  The Jets were on their heels.  

As for the Defense, that was a dominating performance.  No negatives.  

The comeback was awesome.  It was not lucky in the least.  They simply cleaned up the execution.  The better team won.  The Jets coaching was a joke all day.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

Agree with you.  But I will say, at least they tried to use DiMarco finally in the pass game.  Watching this Cowboy/Giant game, Bills are going to come out throwing again.  Giants look yuck on D.  Allen has to avoid the turnovers.

He's no good in the pass game. He had a ridiculous reputation for it because he caught like two passes in a playoff game, in a season he had about four catches the whole year. He's no threat. And the trade off is not worth it.

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

Regarding he play calling, I wonder how many times (if any) Allen audibled out of a run?  Never know, they could have called more to have him waive it off for the pass based on D alignment...

And, regardless, stoked we won! :beer:

I'm pretty sure, because of how quickly Allen changed the formation in the first two drives, that he was given a binary run/pass option on almost every play. The Jets were consistent and dared him to throw, so he called that option every time.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

Can anyone clue me in to why they were lining Dimarco out wide on a few plays ?

I think the idea was to motion him back to the line, but then Allen audibled and kept him out there to have one less defender near him.

The plan on offense seemed to keep as few Jets in the box as possible.  Which is why I'm frustrated they didn't run more out of that formation

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

*I wrote this right before the Brown TD as I was utterly defeated.  With that, you’ll see some bullets after some of the thoughts for the sake of fun.  The BBFS was real today.  I’m an anxious mess. 

For those of you who’s first rodeo this is, this is going to be about this game and only this game.  Thoughts about any player is not an overall summation of the player for the season or their career.  It’s a snapshot for just this moment.  I’m not going to get into the positives in this game or the “what could have beens” because results matter and in year 3 for this coaching staff, the expectations begin and end with playoff contention.  With that being said.... 

1 – Milano –I start here because he’s usually my unsung hero.  Not today.  Outside of one brutal hit, he was absolutely owned by Bell.  Honestly, I put this as much on Frazier as I do Milano, as I don’t think Milano was the right man to be covering him.  Bell’s speed was too much for him and Milano hesitated to cover on a few plays that really bit him in the ass.  Not a great day for the kid overall. 

2 – Lawson – Shaq gets my MVP vote today as he made some solid plays today in the backfield and looked like the player we were hoping he’d be when he was taken in the first round.  He showed great speed, bullrush, and tracked some players down from behind.  Strong game and a highlight on a defensive line that did much better today in overall pass rush with only 4 guys going in. 

*Post Win – Allen gets Co-MVP.  Regardless of all the mistakes.  Kid didn’t back down and pulled it out.  More on him later. 

3 – Offensive Line – I don’t even know what to say about these guys, but I think it’s relevant to talk about them since it was such a focus of the offseason.  The first Allen fumble was completely on Dawkins as he got absolutely smoked, leading to a clean, blindside hit on Allen.  Morse botched the snap on 4th and 2, even though Williams was on him immediately.  Other than that, Allen had a relatively clean pocket.  Now, there’s two points of context here.  The Jets front 4 seemed more concerned with not letting Allen scramble than they did rushing him.  Plus, our offensive scheme was too transparent.  We were either in power run formation or spread out.  There wasn’t a healthy mix of pass and rush to really get them into an overall rhythm.  They did have some strong pull plays in the last quarter to open some holes for Singletary.  Overall, I’d say there was an improvement from this unit, but again, bad game to judge them off of.  

*Side Note – Ty finished the game at RT and I completely missed how that happened.  Anyone?  (McD said in the post game that they rotated him in every 3rd series and that was the plan.  Interesting)

4 – “Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all-time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit.  Unfortunately, so is losing.” 

5 – Daboll – What the hell man?  No, I don’t blame you for the turnovers.  But I do believe you for the safety and overall lack of balanced offense.  I would have cut McCoy too if I knew we weren’t going to run the ball at all.  I get it, Williams runs a scary defense.  But to not even try to run the ball?  We either spread the field or power ran the ball making it a little too east for the defense to prepare for us.  Due to this crap overall playcall, after the first 4 drives, our offense had no real identity established and we never recovered.  Yeah, it looked good on the first drive, but you have to play four quarters and I’m not convinced we just played a top 5 defense today.  Time will tell.  If you want to run spread, then run the ball out of it too man.  Also, if it was your decision to go for it on 4th and 2, then that was a terrible call on 3rd and 2 with the QB sneak.  We needed points there.  The turnovers killed momentum sure, but you didn’t help with that safety and turnover on downs.  Be Better. 

*Post Brown TD Pass – I forgive you and with the win...I forgive you.  Just don’t start a game like that again, okay? 

6 – Singletary – Maybe it was Mosley leaving the game.  Maybe it was the Jets defense letting up a bit.  Either way, Singletary showed some solids burst and flashes of why Beane felt McCoy was expendable.  Any concerns I had about his speed went away quickly.  I think he could have scored a TD had he cut to the outside on a run, but overall provided a much-needed spark.  He had some nervous eyes and happy feet in the beginning, but rookies gonna rookie.  Maybe next game we can actually start him off earlier.   

7 – Tackling – I lost count of how many times we stopped a Jets player on 3rd down behind the first down line, only to have them break free or fall forward and get the first down.  It was infuriating and again, showed flashes of last year.  I didn’t write down the specifics of who specifically, and credit to Anderson and Bell for making plays for the Jets, but no team can give those plays away and let the offense extend drives like that; especially on the 4th and 1 where Bell found a way after getting his in the backfield immediately 

8 – Allen – Those fears around poor decision making didn’t get put to rest in this game.  Shockingly, Allen should’ve had more interceptions than the stat line told as a penalty brought back a pass that should never been thrown.  Allen looked great on the first drive.  I mean great.  He was accurate, he ran the hurry up, and looked like we were going to roll on offense.  Then, there was the fumble and then bullet into Beasley’s thigh which shot up into an INT returned for a TD.  After that, we saw first half of 2018 Allen on the field.  Some good, some bad, some head scratchers. 

*Post Brown TD Pass – Why you doing this to me Allen?  I thought we were on our way to being boys?  Amazing job having faith in Brown to just throw that ball up.  No matter what dumb things you do, I never see you shaken.  You don’t care what the score is.  The church or Tyrod appreciate that about you. 

9 – McD – That passion you showed on the first Jets TD that was eventually called back as offensive PI, maybe bust that out in regards to the turnovers and penalties your team committs.  Was that your decision to go for it on 4th down at the end of the first half?  If so, poor form boss.  You overall own prep, composure, penalties, and the outcome.  This is year 3 for you.  This was not a great showing for you and you need to get it together...fast. 

*After the win.  I’m sorry McD.  You know what this BBFS does to me.  But c’mon man, you can’t be turning the ball over like that.  Teams don’t win these games and you did.  Can you not toy with me like this?  But that culture you built in the offseason.  That showed up today.  These guys never quit.  Thank you and eat balls Rex Ryan

10 – Reality – We were shutout in the first half, turned the ball over 4 times, and just overall beat ourselves in this game.  Playoff teams don’t play this game often and stay playoff teams.  This is just one game, but it showed a lot of the mistakes we made last year and didn’t do anything to erase the fears that we will continue to give away games.  For a team that thought our offense was set after our Panthers preseason game, we were proven very wrong today.  Can the mistakes be fixed?  Yes.  But if we didn’t this offseason, who’s to say it’s going to happen soon enough 

*Post Win – Reality is we won and unlike previous years, this team didn’t roll over. 

Overall, we were somehow in this game at the end and could have walked away with a win.  We completely shot ourselves in the foot through a series of dumb, Billsy plays.  The final score indicates one game, the stats indicate another, but your eyes showed you a game that we gave away.  In a division where the Jets are up and coming, the Pats just got stronger, and the NFL doesn’t let a lot of teams into the playoffs, we can’t afford to give games like this away. 

1-0 Baby!  Go Bills!!!! 

Careful, too many people think because we won, we could do No wrong. Your very right about the game plan, play calls, and lack of good tackling. Especially the defensive game plan to put Milano on Bell. What a dumb move. 

It I’ll take it and feel like we can progress from this win. At least I hope. 

• Like (+1) 1