Cody Ford was bad - again & again he was while at RT

Reed83HOF

12 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Why do we automatically assume the RG is the only other position we can slot him in at? Why not try rotating him in with Spain on the left? I know a lot of us are being critical of Dawkins and the rotating RT right now, but Spain hasn't been consistent either and frankly we could do with a rotation at LG at a minimum.

This to say, I don't feel we're in a dire situation at all because our offense still managed 28 points in this game, albeit with stalls at times. However, if and when we want to talk about any kind of convincing post season push these are the kind of questions surrounding consistency that a good team answers every single week. Bottom line, it's only week 2, we're 2-0 at "home" and showing tremendous signs of improvement from where we were months ago - carry the momentum forward and bring home our opening W.

Spain had a really good game today. No way I am rotating him with Ford. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Why do we automatically assume the RG is the only other position we can slot him in at? Why not try rotating him in with Spain on the left? I know a lot of us are being critical of Dawkins and the rotating RT right now, but Spain hasn't been consistent either and frankly we could do with a rotation at LG at a minimum.

This to say, I don't feel we're in a dire situation at all because our offense still managed 28 points in this game, albeit with stalls at times. However, if and when we want to talk about any kind of convincing post season push these are the kind of questions surrounding consistency that a good team answers every single week. Bottom line, it's only week 2, we're 2-0 at "home" and showing tremendous signs of improvement from where we were months ago - carry the momentum forward and bring home our opening W.

Spain has been a monster in the run game. He and Morse are the two best linemen. No way he should sit.

• Like (+1) 2

Ford is fine. The line is fine. Not great, but they consistently gave Allen more than enough time to get the ball out. Whether or not Allen got it out in time is on Josh.

They have plenty of room to grow, but I bill-ieve they will. Keep it as is, with Ty and Ford splitting time at RT.

He may be better at right guard but they are sure as hell not taking Feliciano out. Personally I'd like to see if he can play left guard. Spain is on a 1 year contract and seems to be good as a run blocker but shakey on pass protection. I just don't think they want to waste Ford's rookie year making him a backup who plays sparingly. Nsekhe is also 34 years old, seems to have a lingering knee issue and may need to come out from time to time. That said, I liked a lot of what the line did but felt they looked lost in the 3rd quarter when the Giants blitzed them from all over the place.

1 hour ago, BubbaT said:

He may be better at right guard but they are sure as hell not taking Feliciano out. Personally I'd like to see if he can play left guard. Spain is on a 1 year contract and seems to be good as a run blocker but shakey on pass protection. I just don't think they want to waste Ford's rookie year making him a backup who plays sparingly. Nsekhe is also 34 years old, seems to have a lingering knee issue and may need to come out from time to time. That said, I liked a lot of what the line did but felt they looked lost in the 3rd quarter when the Giants blitzed them from all over the place.

Eric Wood was saying its a big change to switch a guy from right side to left side (guard or tackle).   

Ford has talent but needs technique refinement on speed rushers.   

If he were a 7th round pick we arent even having this discussion, he'd be a developmental player.

14 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

This ^

The line need more time to gel but I can see us drafting an OT very early in the draft next year. 

It depends on what you mean by "very early" Bob.

I would have whole heartedly agreed with you in many seasons but not in 2020. There are just so many WRs who look like dominant players coming out that I can't really visualize going in any other direction in round 1.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

It depends on what you mean by "very early" Bob.

I would have whole heartedly agreed with you in many seasons but not in 2020. There are just so many WRs who look like dominant players coming out that I can't really visualize going in any other direction in round 1.

Fair enough.   I’m always looking for impact players or BPA in the first round. 

Darn auto correct.  I meant fairly early but somehow typed very early.   I could see an OT by round 3.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He's simply not ready for the speed of the NFL game out at tackle.

But he may also not be a better guard than either Mongo or Spain at this exact moment.

I would rotate him in at RG to get him some playing time, but other than that he's my swing tackle.

And let's not discount the fact his first two games have been on the road, where the D line has the advantage, especially for a rookie.