Cody Ford was bad - again & again he was while at RT

Reed83HOF

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He's a 2nd round rookie.

And to the bold, no it isnt. McD said in his post-game that rotating Ty in every 3rd drive was scripted and planned and had nothing to do with what Ford was or wasnt doing.

Oh it certainly did, Ford was out on the scoring drives and actually after the play I posted.

Because he is a rookie, doesn't excuse him from playing poorly this game, as a rookie it is expected. Doesn't change the fact that he played poorly...

Just now, Limeaid said:

It was planned from the start to rotate tackles so they could give Cody some live coaching on sets to improve his skills.

You have to do both, he needs the live game play to improve and he wasn't in when it mattered...

Yes, the offensive line had some moments they would like to get back. I still am very optimistic with this group. Let's keep in mind:

- This was the first game (as has been mentioned) with a totally overhauled group.

- The Jets D-line (as has been mentioned) is very good.

- Morse missed the entire preseason. I think this is really big for the entire group. The O-line plays as a team and he is their leader. 

I expect them to get much better and quickly. I think we are going to like our O-line this season.

• Like (+1) 2

Young player in his first game on the road against a very good defensive front.  I'll take his upside and potential over Mills any day.

Dawkins got smoked at least once too.  O-line got it together when it mattered most which was good to see.

Edited by Azucho98

1 minute ago, JustWinPlease said:

He needs to be put at guard...at 6-2 or 6-3 he's going to get killed by the defensive ends like 6-5 Leonard Williams and 6-6 Henry Anderson.

He's not an NFL left tackle.

He plays right tackle

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Oh it certainly did, Ford was out on the scoring drives and actually after the play I posted.

Because he is a rookie, doesn't excuse him from playing poorly this game, as a rookie it is expected. Doesn't change the fact that he played poorly...

You have to do both, he needs the live game play to improve and he wasn't in when it mattered...

Right? Seems like a funny way to integrate an OL. Considering a lot of what rookie lineman deal with is stunts, different fronts and how to adapt to the speed/movement of the NFL game, idk how you do that in game with hindsight. Let the kid play and coach him up on Monday. If you aren’t confident in his abilities to leave him in full time, he shouldn’t be left protecting the franchise QB 

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Right? Seems like a funny way to integrate an OL. Considering a lot of what rookie lineman deal with is stunts, different fronts and how to adapt to the speed/movement of the NFL game, idk how you do that in game with hindsight. Let the kid play and coach him up on Monday. If you aren’t confident in his abilities to leave him in full time, he shouldn’t be left protecting the franchise QB 

Ford's last time on the field was the near INT from Allen.

Edited by Reed83HOF

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Ford's last time on the field was the near INT from Allen.

So what do you make of that? Are they spelling him for conditioning reasons as you would a RB? No chance. Are they just getting his feet wet? Maybe. Did he play below what they deemed to be acceptable? Probably. 

Ford is a rookie and still needs more time to develop into the RT they think he can be.

Jets defensive line is very good, plus Greggo is a good DC.

Our o-line is much better than last year.  It should only get better.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

So what do you make of that? Are they spelling him for conditioning reasons as you would a RB? No chance. Are they just getting his feet wet? Maybe. Did he play below what they deemed to be acceptable? Probably. 

They want to start their best 5 and see him as an RT. Have to give him his reps in a live game and coach him up. I don't like rotations personally since you can't get in the groove of a game and with a brand new OL with 4 new starters that you need to become a cohesive unit; I like the rotation even less.

3 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Rookie in his first game he gets a pass. 

Nope, we aren't the dolphins this year. Yes the Jets have a good DL and you would reasonably expect them to win some matchups, Dawkins got shoved back into the pocket, Quinnen got Morse once. Ford had a rough day, which is epxected; being a rookie doesn't absolve you from being critiqued. Nsekhe was in when the game was on the line...

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Cody played horribly at RT today. I posted this in a few threads, but this near INT from Allen was the result of Ford getting smoked (just one example). Allen should have checked down to Knox on this throw, but Ford needs to improve.This is why Nyscke was in at the end

So you are saying a Rookie in his first NFL game. Going up against arguably the best DL in the NFL.

Additionally the same guy that was RG for most of Preseason because of INJ 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

They want to start their best 5 and see him as an RT. Have to give him his reps in a live game and coach him up. I don't like rotations personally since you can't get in the groove of a game and with a brand new OL with 4 new starters that you need to become a cohesive unit; I like the rotation even less.

Im with you on the groove and rotation.  But if you want to start your best five, play your best five. He isn’t going to learn on the fly watching from the sideline once every three series. ThTs what sideline time is for when the defense is on the field. 

Between series and on Mondays should be this kids film review. Let him play, make mistakes and experience the game. By all means he is physically where he needs to be. The mental part of the game isn’t going to happen mid-game IMO. 

I like the idea of Ford at guard this year. It will allow him to use his physicality and minimize the effect of his error. If they eventually want to kick him to tackle, great. Spain wasn’t all that great today and Feliciano was full of penalties. It wouldn’t hurt the OL to have Ford play G

5 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

And Ford will be light years ahead of all of them

What do you mean, will be? Aren’t we playing to win? 

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Cody played horribly at RT today. I posted this in a few threads, but this near INT from Allen was the result of Ford getting smoked (just one example). Allen should have checked down to Knox on this throw, but Ford needs to improve.This is why Nyscke was in at the end

Hes a rookie but i think he should be inside.

Rt could be priority one this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1