9/8 Around the NFL Gameday Thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, dubs said:

It’s A LOT easier said than done. They are just so good at taking what’s available and Brady is so good at picking his spot and getting the ball out right away, that it’s nearly impossible to defend. I hate the Pats. 

Oh, I agree.  I left out having the personnel (including coaching staff) that have the skill and ability to beat the NE offense, which is extremely efficient and run perfectly by Brady.

It is very difficult to defend, which goes a long way to explaining why few can do so.  I hate the Pats, too.  They suck the fun out of football.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

They haven’t had a losing season in forever. He’s a good coach (people REALLY underestimate the skill it takes to manage 53 personalities, and he’s good at it), but this looks like a transition year for them. 

Steelers have one of the best front offices (personnel management) in football and an average-at-best head coach. Tomlin has had the good fortune of working with one of the best rosters in the NFL for over a decade.

His style worked for a while but he should have been fired years ago.

Tonight is the result of hanging onto a mediocre head coach for too long - a stale franchise.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

I'm not trying to say that's why the Pats are winning. I just thought it was sort of funny that the Steelers got called for that of all things.

The WR can't run into the defender.  I think that is why the official threw the flag.  Al Michaels made the point that all you have to do is get the defender to side step and disrupt his momentum.

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

I'm not trying to say that's why the Pats are winning. I just thought it was sort of funny that the Steelers got called for that of all things.

The Steelers aren't as good at cheating.  They also unwittingly traded AB to the Patriots by sending the Raiders a 3rd and a 5th.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Steelers have one of the best front offices (personnel management) in football and an average-at-best head coach. Tomlin has had the good fortune of working with one of the best rosters in the NFL for over a decade.

His style worked for a while but he should have been fired years ago.

Tonight is the result of hanging onto a mediocre head coach for too long - a stale franchise.

I strongly disagree, but I don’t care quite enough to do a deep-dive argument about it. People said the same about Joe Torre, and they were wrong because they overestimated tactical acumen over people management skills. Tons of NFL people think Gase is a truly brilliant offensive mind, bit he’s a bad manager of humans.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Oh, I agree.  I left out having the personnel (including coaching staff) that have the skill and ability to beat the NE offense, which is extremely efficient and run perfectly by Brady.

It is very difficult to defend, which goes a long way to explaining why few can do so.  I hate the Pats, too.  They suck the fun out of football.

On one had, you really have to give them credit. OTOH, they are so hateable and have been caught cheating at least twice now, so who knows how much more they have. 

But at at the end of the day they have the rings and have a good chance again this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I strongly disagree, but I don’t care quite enough to do a deep-dig argument about it. People said the same about Joe Torre, and they were wrong because they overestimated tactical acumen over people management skills. Tons of NFL people think Gase is a truly brilliant offensive mind, bit he’s a bad manager of humans.

Yeah, Tomlin's people management skills are off the chart. There's never constant drama surrounding the team. Are you serious?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I strongly disagree, but I don’t care quite enough to do a deep-dive argument about it. People said the same about Joe Torre, and they were wrong because they overestimated tactical acumen over people management skills. Tons of NFL people think Gase is a truly brilliant offensive mind, bit he’s a bad manager of humans.

Its great to manage egos and organizational efficency during the week, but man, so few NFL head coaches can actually do what it takes during the game.    Belechick is the GOAT...

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yeah, Tomlin's people management skills are off the chart. There's never constant drama surrounding the team. Are you serious?

His game management skills aren't much better.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The people on that team are the people colbert brought in. You don’t think teams didn't know about martavis bryant and AB in college? Trust me, there foibles were well known. Anyway, when it came to sundays, the players played and stuff was kept under wraps. He has been there for a long time and has never had a losing season. He is a good coach. 

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

His game management skills aren't much better.  

It is amazing to me that so many people think that tactics are all that a coach is in charge of. There is so much more than that. People who say this stuff think marv levy was a bad coach. No losing seasons, tons of playoff appearances, 2 SB appearances, and the second highest winning percentage this century after belichick.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Anyway, when it came to sundays, the players played and stuff was kept under wraps.

So under wraps that Roethlisberger and Todd Haley had to be physically separated and kept away from each other on multiple Sundays? They needed a middle man because the two refused to talk to each other for an entire season. 

Yeah, totally under wraps. Tomlin has had more talent at the prime positions than most coaches could dream of and he managed one SB victory on the heels of a veteran laden team built by Cowher.

Edited by eanyills