Does AB set a dangerous precedent?

11 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

No you are spot on.  I really do think it sets a bad precedent.  Also, I don’t understand why teams release players who demand it.  Oakland could have f’ed him over and put on the Did not report list, eliminating any chance for his guaranteed money and keeping him off the field for the year.

Thats why I give props to the Bills for holding onto the rights of Anquan Bolden.  He retired citing some BS service reason and then said he wanted to play for NE.  So Beane refused to let him out of his few to play with another team  

Correct! End thread 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

The Raiders should have kept him on the team and told him to show up or be put on the "Did not report" list and let him twist in the wind. 

Agreed. Raiders could have suspended him. Voided the Guarantees and let him ROT on the Did not report / suspended list. But they went with the Release move. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

The Raiders should have kept him on the team and told him to show up or be put on the "Did not report" list and let him twist in the wind. 

Great point Doc.  He doesn’t set a precedent other than he is either a narcisist, or emotionally disturbed.  I really don’t think he is that calculating and now he is making far less $ and on a prove it deal, where Belicheat will cut his ars if he does anything even slightly wrong.  The first time he talks about the team in social media, he will be gone.  I’m sure the coach informed him of that fact, and Brady will as well.

I may hate the Patriots, but I respect the B&B.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

This is why you have to totally respect a player like WR Larry Fitzgerald, he has been balling out since 2004, 2nd all time in yards, 3rd all time in receptions, tied for 6th all time in TD receptions and you don't ever hear anything other than his love for the game, always smiling, dude should have a statue like Rocky leading up to the stadium. 

Larry Fitzgerald is an amazing ambassador for the game. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol, the league is making more money than ever. If stuff like Brown happened more often it would only increase ratings. 

Exactly, American life is becoming one hot take after another, a Kardashian hell, our whole damn society is fixated on this sort of shallow crap.

Every time anyone clicks on this type of mindless dribble, it makes it thrive all the more. We do it to ourselves by participating in this gossipy crap.

if no one clicked the demand and monetary gain goes away. 

Go Bills!!!

I believe AB never had any interest in playing for the Raiders. He wanted his freedom to choose who he played for. The entire thing was a ruse. AB and Drew played the league perfectly. Was there tampering by NE. IMO probably. But the fiasco is over, probably to be repeated in the future and life in the NFL will go on. Well played AB. well played.

44 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

It didn't cost AB one cent! 

Umm, what part of $30M guaranteed money was voided and he gets $9M guaranteed says to you it didn't cost him a cent?  If he gets hurt or the Pats decide they don't want to deal with his ***** anymore, it will hurt more, but right now he's got 20M in limbo.

10 hours ago, Needle said:

Gruden and the Raiders could not have played this worse. They not only gave in to AB over and over again, they embarrassed their GM by not backing him up. They wasted draft capital on two clowns that Pittsburgh clearly had given every opportunity too. They paid or at least showed a willingness to pay top $ for questionable free agents and yet decided it wasn't worth it to pay for their own talented players in house already.

It's between the Raiders and Knicks for worst run franchises in all of sports.

Knicks, hands down.

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Correct any player can do that. Along with going from $50 mil down to $15 mil.  Will some team give him big $$ next year, not nearly as likely as it was a year ago.  Plus he also is/was one of the best players in the league.  There may be 5 players in the league who could even come close to pulling off what he just maneuvered through based on talent.  Granted totally different reasons behind it, but hows things working out for Kap?

So far the Steeler brain trust of Brown and Bell have lost quite a bit of money in the past year, so likely players will think twice before trying it

I'm confused. How does Kap fit into this discussion?

A kids songs fits here: "one of these things is not like the other". I may be dopey but, again, how does Kap fit into this discussion?

1 hour ago, Gigs said:

If he went anywhere else people wouldn't be crying foul. He was nuts in Pittsburgh, nuts in Oakland and he'll still be nuts in NE. It's how the team handles it, and if you want to blame anyone blame Mayock for being a thin-skinned moron with no experience. If you think AB was pulling stunts to go to NE you're just as low level thinking as Mayock.

Other than y'all being low level thinkers, I agree. This was not AB' s plan.

15 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I'm confused. How does Kap fit into this discussion?

A kids songs fits here: "one of these things is not like the other". I may be dopey but, again, how does Kap fit into this discussion?

The OP was commenting on what's to stop others from doing this.  My response was that it's cost him money and if he goes nuts again in NE he'll likely not find teams wanting to sign him next season or if he wasn't probably one of the top 5 talented players in the league he probably wouldn't have had any teams signing him right now or would have been for less money yet.  When you become a distraction and aren't a top talent to start with, teams aren't interested, like Kap.  And regardless of whether you're a distraction to your teammates or the general public it's still an overall distraction to the team that turns teams off.  AB does still have the top talent card to play, but he's probably on about his last live there too.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think he did this to get released so he could be a free agent. Then when the pats called why not go get a ring?

It’s not like I chalked up winning against them this year anyway.  Advantage tho is no gronk.  If gronk comes back it’s going to be another boring afc champion. 

I believe the Raiders were concerned that once AB had his guarantee, they would have no leverage in controlling his actions. Thus the dropping his guarantee from the contract. For AB, that put him in a position subserviant to Mike Mayock, which I don't think AB could live with. Gruden had enough AB drama and wanted to get on with his team. Thus Gruden let Mayock do what he thought was beast for the team. Hence AB gets released.  BB saw an opportunity to solve his WR problem and convinced Kraft to gamble 9 mil, and now AB is a Patriot. No conspiracy , no collusion, just a calculated gamble by BB and Kraft. Will it work? we will see.

20 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The OP was commenting on what's to stop others from doing this.  My response was that it's cost him money and if he goes nuts again in NE he'll likely not find teams wanting to sign him next season or if he wasn't probably one of the top 5 talented players in the league he probably wouldn't have had any teams signing him right now or would have been for less money yet.  When you become a distraction and aren't a top talent to start with, teams aren't interested, like Kap.  And regardless of whether you're a distraction to your teammates or the general public it's still an overall distraction to the team that turns teams off.  AB does still have the top talent card to play, but he's probably on about his last live there too.

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more along the line of "AB planned to do this in order to get where he wants", which I don't agree with. Thanks again.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1