Does AB set a dangerous precedent?

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Umm, what part of $30M guaranteed money was voided and he gets $9M guaranteed says to you it didn't cost him a cent?  If he gets hurt or the Pats decide they don't want to deal with his ***** anymore, it will hurt more, but right now he's got 20M in limbo.

Money never had is money never lost. 

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..if I remember correctly, both Elway & Eli somewhat manipulated who they would play for............

Yes, they did, but they didn't do it by being tools and behaving badly to the team on the practice field

4 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Money never had is money never lost. 

He's betting on himself that if he has another great year, someone will ante up and he'll get even more.

Whereas in Oakland with Carr throwing to him, maybe not so much.

Carr said he worked with AB more than anyone in the off-season, and it's possible that influenced AB's interest in playing for the Raiders - for the worse.  Maybe AB could tell that Carr simply was not of the same quality of QB he's accustomed to?

11 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more along the line of "AB planned to do this in order to get where he wants", which I don't agree with. Thanks again.

I think we'll be able to tell which explanation is correct by mid-season.

If AB is a model citizen in NE and we never hear about him breaking team rules/he never acts out on SM, I will lean towards this was all planned.

If he blows up, I will lean towards he can't help himself and NE "seized the day" to take a chance on adding a great WR

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Like someone else pointed out in another thread, if a star white player called a black GM the n word he would have been suspended by the league for at least a year. 

And as someone else replied to that comment, a white player, Riley Cooper, used the N word at a country music concert in a pretty derogatory fashion and then continued playing in the NFL for several years thereafter without any discipline. So there’s that.....

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, they did, but they didn't do it by being tools and behaving badly to the team on the practice field

He's betting on himself that if he has another great year, someone will ante up and he'll get even more.

Carr said he worked with AB more than anyone in the off-season, and it's possible that influenced AB's interest in playing for the Raiders - for the worse.  Maybe AB could tell that Carr simply was not of the same quality of QB he's accustomed to?

If AB is a model citizen in NE and we never hear about him breaking team rules/he never acts out on SM, I will lean towards this was all planned.

If he blows up, I will lean towards he can't help himself and NE "seized the day" to take a chance on adding a great WR

...still shocked BB would pony up 9 Mil guaranteed (IF I read correctly)......this clown is one tick away from detonation...sure BB has tamed others, but a 9 mil roll of the dice?...at least when Richie returned here after the Miami fiasco, Overdorf crafted his deal as a "pay as you go on a per game basis".....screw up and he's gone with zero cap implications...be a good boy for all 16 and there are some lucrative incentives waiting for you...he did cash in.....BTW, think there will be a "Commish investigation" relative to personal conduct policy for threatening violence against Mayock?......throw in the "cracker comment" for good measure.....I'm guessing after Helmetgate, Rog does NOT have the red carpet rolled out.......2-4 game suspension would be.....NICE.............

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He'd better adhere to the Coughlin rule: " if you're just on time to a meeting, you're late". He'd better get to meetings 1 hr early. I'd imagine if he's late 1 time for a meeting, he's gone.

• Like (+1) 1

I bet Brown will behave in NE. He finally has his wish. The only thing that he loves as much as himself is being on a winning team. Belicheck is a master at micro managing players, and all Brown needs is a little positive reinforcement once in awhile. 

Edited by Rocket94

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

AB carries himself like the president of the United States.  This is the era of terrible people getting rewarded. Enjoy!

I mean that’s the truth.  You have to really good to do this.  If Zay Jones keep doing stupid stuff after he tried to fight Jesus, he would have been out of the league. 

We have a reality tv  host as President.  This is America!

He got cut by the Steelers.

Is it though?  You know much attention AB brought to the league?  Stuff like this is good for business for leagues.  The nfl, the richest and most demanding sport, has the worst contracts. 

If it gets to the NBA level where players gang up to form super teams I think fans will be unhappy.  Particularly the smaller markets.

13 hours ago, Doc said:

The Raiders should have kept him on the team and told him to show up or be put on the "Did not report" list and let him twist in the wind. 

They were amazingly nice to him after he totally shafted them, even to the point of hurting themselves from a competitive standpoint as he's now on an opposing team. It was surprising to see.

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If it gets to the NBA level where players gang up to form super teams I think fans will be unhappy.  Particularly the smaller markets.

It’s much harder to do it in football but you are right.  As entertaining as it is, it does kill the small market teams.

at the same point, this is the same league that cuts you when you get hurt and doesn’t owe you anything.  They need to something fast about the CBa. 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s much harder to do it in football but you are right.  As entertaining as it is, it does kill the small market teams.

at the same point, this is the same league that cuts you when you get hurt and doesn’t owe you anything.  They need to something fast about the CBa. 

The next CBA negotiation is going to be something.  I’m expecting a lost season.

39 minutes ago, Dopey said:

He'd better adhere to the Coughlin rule: " if you're just on time to a meeting, you're late". He'd better get to meetings 1 hr early. I'd imagine if he's late 1 time for a meeting, he's gone.

He will be there. Narcissists dont always believe that the rules apply to them, but he knows how to play the game.

38 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I bet Brown will behave in NE. He finally has his wish. The only thing that he loves as much as himself is being on a winning team. Belicheck is a master at micro managing players, and all Brown needs is a little positive reinforcement once in awhile. 

...BB has tamed others.....and tried to tame others who did not comply and we sent packing......9 mil guaranteed?......being one tick away from FINAL detonation, here's to Pats choking on that number.....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...BB has tamed others.....and tried to tame others who did not comply and we sent packing......9 mil guaranteed?......being one tick away from FINAL detonation, here's to Pats choking on that number.....

I dont want to sound like a poor sport (do we use that phrase anymore?) I hope that he does screw up, but Brown likes to play games. He will probably behave for awhile. 

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..if I remember correctly, both Elway & Eli somewhat manipulated who they would play for............

And there’s tons more. Randy Moss quit on the team and became a distraction. Carson Palmer refused to play for a team built to win now, thus tanking their window.

Antonio Brown isn’t the first to manipulate the system. He just used a new means to do so. There will be more but I don’t think it’ll ever become common. AB looked really bad in all this and I think most players are generally cognizant of their public image not looking like a train wreck.

Edited by eanyills