For the first time in a VERY long time...

whorlnut

For the first time that I can remember, I am excited for a season to begin from the standpoint of wanting to win games. Say what you want, but I was rooting for draft position for many years in order to get this team where we needed to be to compete. Whether it was a qb that I didn’t like, or a coaching staff that I wanted to see fired, or maybe a stud college player that I was hoping we could draft, it didn’t matter. I was hoping we would get a high pick. Now? I finally see that we have a competent staff, an exciting young QB, and there in no college player that I particularly covet. Yes it would be nice to get one of the stud receivers next April, but we actually have some exciting new receivers as it is. Tomorrow can’t come soon enough.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Gigs said:

I'm always optimistic, but this is the first year since I was watching Flutie that people other than myself seem to be optimistic and confident in this team

Exactly!  We have competent people all across this organization and I can’t remember when that was the case. I’m very excited. No more hoping for draft position for me. This team is headed in the right direction for once. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, whorlnut said:

Exactly!  We have competent people all across this organization and I can’t remember when that was the case. I’m very excited. No more hoping for draft position for me. This team is headed in the right direction for once. 

I have to agree. Since McD took over you can see camaraderie on the sidelines. They have a unifying message and it seems everyone has bought into it. They're on the cusp of success and I for one am excited

I'm excited every year. Not even just for the bills, but football in general. Having games all day Sunday, Monday night and Thursday night helps get me through the week. I've learned to tame expectations, but still get just as pumped every Sunday for ganetime 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never started a season wanting us to lose. 

I can handle losing for a year if that means changes are coming. Let’s be honest...there have been WAY TOO MANY seasons that felt lost before the games began.

22 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I can handle losing for a year if that means changes are coming. Let’s be honest...there have been WAY TOO MANY seasons that felt lost before the games began.

I don't think that is true in the last 7 or 8 years. If I go back to the day Mario signed I have only thought the Bills' playoff chances were done before the opening kick once - last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly.  Part of the reason I became more of a “realist” is because I had the same feeling with JP, Trent, and EJ.  Unfortunately, they all end the same way.  I want it to be different but I need to see it first.  But very excited the season is here. I’m 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah. NEVER. Once it's clear they're not going to be competitive, I'll start thinking about draft position. I mean, we haven't had anyone pan out, but I just can't fathom the idea of STARTING the season rooting against the Bills. That's essentially how this reads.

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

For the first time that I can remember, I am excited for a season to begin from the standpoint of wanting to win games. Say what you want, but I was rooting for draft position for many years in order to get this team where we needed to be to compete. Whether it was a qb that I didn’t like, or a coaching staff that I wanted to see fired, or maybe a stud college player that I was hoping we could draft, it didn’t matter. I was hoping we would get a high pick. Now? I finally see that we have a competent staff, an exciting young QB, and there in no college player that I particularly covet. Yes it would be nice to get one of the stud receivers next April, but we actually have some exciting new receivers as it is. Tomorrow can’t come soon enough.

I am anxious for the new season to start and will definitely look foward to and hopefully enjoy the game tomorrow.

But for me, Allen isn't it, so I am not nearly as optimistic as you sound.

But what if he is just good enough to do enough things combined with a strong D to somehow get us to 10 wins?  That would be exciting no doubt.  And at least for now, and then next few weeks, we don't really know how it's all going to go and so we can hope he will be as good as hoped for.

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I know the feeling.

But it usually passes by the 3rd quarter of Game 1.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, offyourocker said:

I am very excited but I do feel like tomorrow is a must win to get to the playoffs

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'll go along with this. A division win on the road is crucial.

I know it's only Week 1 and yes, all the games are important, but this is really true.

This game is a critical matchup and we need to find a way to come out with a W.

No way we make the playoffs if we are chasing the likes of the Jets after Week 1.

• Like (+1) 1