Antonio Brown RELEASED, signed by PATS

Chandler#81

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Saw the news about the Pats on the screen at Tony Roma's tonight eating with the wife.

Immediately thought about getting back here and pointing out how thunderously, magnificently wrong I was.

I mean, there's wrong, and then there's stunningly dumb, and that's what I was here. "1000 to 1 shot," jeez what an absolute eejit. This'll be a good thing for me to learn from. It's hard to be wronger than I was here.

I can't imagine him lasting on that team, but if I've proved anything today, it's that you shouldn't listen to me on this issue.

i am going to assume you were wrong about eating at Tony Romas...we were all wrong about AB

59 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I still like Ryan Leaf's analysis, claiming that he simply doesn't want to play football anymore.

That would explain the pleased look on his face, and also suggest NE will have trouble with him too.

The saga isn't over yet.

That is what I was thinking when he started refusing to play with a new helmet. 

Edited by 32ABBA

8 hours ago, thebug said:

Unless he has a major injury. Which is the excuse they use for holding out to get a new long term contract, when they are still under contract. 

Which I pretty explicitly acknowledged. To say he lost the money is probably not ideal as for all we know he might make more under his new circumstances. He definitely shifted risk towards himself in exchange for more control though. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Why would he be pleased to lose @ $39 million?

I still like Ryan Leaf's analysis, claiming that he simply doesn't want to play football anymore.

That would explain the pleased look on his face, and also suggest NE will have trouble with him too.

The saga isn't over yet.

The flip side is, he’s got tens of millions of dollars- if he for whatever reason hated Oakland and wanted to be in New England... there’s little in his life stopping him from saying “f it, let’s make it happen”

its hard to relate to as a a bunch of guys that likely mostly need their jobs but I’m sure most of us have had the day dream before when walking out after a bad day at work. 

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Yep.  Went from 3 years and $54M with $29.125M in guarantees to a 1-year deal with $9M guaranteed and up to $15M with incentives and no assurances after this season.  Furthermore, with Brady's worsening arm and greater need to rely on Edelman, AB's numbers will invariably decline, meaning his already soft market for 2020 will get even softer.  And if he doesn't win a SB with them...

This obviously was not the plan all along.  I'm glad Beane only inquired and didn't want to pay him because he likely would have pulled the same ***** with the Bills (although I don't think Beane would have cut him, which was a stupid move by Gruden), and was the reason I never wanted him in the first place.

And with that, on to the season!

Well - after sleeping on it, at least I woke up this AM assured in one thing: Yes, it is possible to hate the freaking Cheaters even more.

I will be doing a lot of TV muting over the coming days (weeks) as talking heads breathlessly talk of Bellicheat somehow being a genius in this and Patriot** Way transforming men.  F me.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's (unfortunately) obvious that if AB can stay sane and work in the Pats O they are much better than they were day before yesterday. He's crazy but he's a very smart receiver. Knows how to read a defence. Then there is his over the top physical skill.

The key however is Brady. He's the engine than drives that offence. He's old. The way to beat him has always been pressure on passing downs, especially up the middle. The Pats interior offensive line is mediocre at best right now. We will see if Dante can work his magic again. My take: Brady isn't what he was, not nearly, but he's probably still good enough to make it work. If he misses time all bets are off however.

12 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It could've been Brown's plan all along. Steelers refused to trade him to the Patriots so he wasn't getting there from Pittsburgh.

Maybe Brown knew the Raiders were the only team dumb enough to send the Steelers a 3rd and a 5th in order to ultimately send Brown to the Pats.

If this was his plan and he truly hated the Bills - wouldn’t he want to screw them worse?  Wouldn’t he want to go there and twist a knife to force his way out.

If this was his plan - why worry about getting a huge contract extension with guaranteed money - the reason he wanted to go to the Raiders.  It was almost the reason they couldn’t cut him or move on.

If this was his plan - it would of made more sense to keep his original contract and act crazy because then he gets cut quicker.  They have less tied to him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Well - after sleeping on it, at least I woke up this AM assured in one thing: Yes, it is possible to hate the freaking Cheaters even more.

I will be doing a lot of TV muting over the coming days (weeks) as talking heads breathlessly talk of Bellicheat somehow being a genius in this and Patriot** Way transforming men.  F me.   

Yeah - I thought my hate had reached its apex.  Turns out there is no ceiling.

Not healthy.  If I had known, I never would have signed up for being a sports fan in the first place.  

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

the obsession with this moron is amazing. 

He’s a generational talent.

I hope it turns into a circus, but a more likely scenario is that he keeps his head down and tears it up this year.  And with Gordon, Edelman and a great running game, that offense is unstoppable

This is looking like 2007 to me.  I hope I’m wrong.  I thought this year might offer a small light at the end of the tunnel, but our long national nightmare continues.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

If this was his plan and he truly hated the Bills - wouldn’t he want to screw them worse?  Wouldn’t he want to go there and twist a knife to force his way out.

If this was his plan - why worry about getting a huge contract extension with guaranteed money - the reason he wanted to go to the Raiders.  It was almost the reason they couldn’t cut him or move on.

If this was his plan - it would of made more sense to keep his original contract and act crazy because then he gets cut quicker.  They have less tied to him.

Who says he hates the Bills? Why would he care about the Bills at all?

Maybe it wasn't his plan from the very beginning but it sure as hell was his plan over the last six weeks. That much is blatantly obvious.

image.png.aa571fe9c7d8423b37428c76ddee1ed7.png

In the end it doesn't matter that Brown ended up with the Pats. It's not like the Patriots are a team of Marvel superheroes.

The thing is what it always was--the Bills are just going to have to beat them regardless of who's on their roster. Just the way they began beating Marino and the Dolphins regularly in the late 80s even though Marino was considered the best QB in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We are all in agreement that this was CLEARLY in the works for a while right? I haven’t read through the thread but we aren’t all naive enough to think that this Pats deal came together in 30 minutes right?

FWIW, I have a good friend that works in the Falcons front office and they want it investigated. The Steelers are in the same boat.

,,,huh?..collusion?......pre-dawn planning?.....don't you think Agent Rosenhaus is a straight up, honest, forthright guy who ALWAYS plays by the rules...why I ALWAYS thought he was the "Mother Theresa of NFL Agents".......

• Haha (+1) 2

So crazy how planned this whole thing was. Drew R. Told AB to get kicked off the team so he could sign him to the Pats the one team the Steelers would not do business with. Drew has this thing all planned out and crazy AB went and did his part. Such a disgusting act, but i expect no less from the Patriots. You aren't supposed to root for injuries against players... so I wont.

Edited by Boca BIlls

Mort & Schefter on ESPN just now basically said there was collusion here without actually saying that. According to them..

Pats offered a 1st round pick. Steelers denied and made the trade to the Raiders.

Foot issues, letter happens, and then Mort says AB hired social media consultants to advise him what to post to get cut by the team as soon as possible.

5 hours after cut Pats sign 'em - Schefter "unprecedented situation"

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean, did you think they weren’t going to beat us twice?  I just pray he’s really crazy and destroys that lockerroom from the inside. 

I thought the Bills could be competitive at least; they held the Pats offense in relative check last season. Btw, this piece says it all about how the Pats deal with this stuff. Brown is the latest in a long line: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/07/antonio-brown-patriots-bill-belichick

Edited by dave mcbride