AB asks Raiders to release him on Instagram (update: Raiders oblige and release him)

Reed83HOF

So after all that they just go ahead and give him what he wants? That's getting off too easy. 

Suspend him, fine him, place him on the exempt list if he doesn't show back up. Gruden and Mayock let Brown tea bag their faces with impunity for two weeks and then just go ahead and cave in to his final tantrum. 

Shameful. 

27 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Just edited my post, but yeah if a fine comes with voiding 30 million in guarantees how is that not a 30million dollar fine?

It's not a $30 million fine because he still has the chance to earn that money.  It's just no longer guaranteed.

Let's make sure we're on the same page to start with:

NFL salaries are paid on a per-game basis.  So if a guy is earning $14M/season, he is being paid $875,000 per game for a 16 game season.

With me so far?

"Guaranteed", as for vested vets on the roster 1st day of season, means if the team cuts him 10 games into the season, he still gets 6 more checks for $875,000

(If the player is suspended for cause under the CBA, he can still forfeit his game check and 1/16 of the signing bonus amortized for that year)

So if AB had forfeited his guarantees but is still on the Raiders and playing, he wouldn't necessarily miss a penny of that $30M.  It just wouldn't be guaranteed to him in the case of being cut or medically unable to play football.

That's why it's not a 30 million dollar fine.

26 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Just edited my post, but yeah if a fine comes with voiding 30 million in guarantees how is that not a 30million dollar fine?

The fine itself isn’t attached to losing the guarantee. Although the cited reason for the fine could serve as a basis to void his guarantee as well. The Raiders could simply fine him for “conduct detrimental”, which they apparently did, or void his guarantee. Or both. I’ve only read that they’ve fined him for his conduct at this point.

But they’ve certainly established their foundation for voiding his guarantee. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

He should sign with Tampa Bay.  They would have Evans, Brown, Godwin, Howard and Brate.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

I think they benefit the most from this move. I believe they feel confident on their chances in arbitration now. And as for him getting what he wants, that is true if what he wants is to not play football this season... They only have to worry about the "example" set for players who dont want to play anyhow. It is best not to have/pay any players who do not want to play football.

12 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Yes, I thought I read originally any fine voided all the guarantees. 

Not necessarily, though it would give Oakland grounds to ask for that. 

Per what he's posted, he certainly believes the new fine for his behavior towards Mayock voided the guarantees.  Maybe that info was in the letter announcing the $215,000 fine.

It's just amazing to me that AB, who would certainly claim he's a "grown Ass man", can't understand that it's HIS behavior that led to fines and then to any guarantees being voided, not something the Raiders "did to him" or "took away from him".