OK - why the h#ll do we not have a new punter?!?

Bockeye

Seems like they explored a couple of options and it didn't work out so they're gonna roll with the guy they already know as opposed to swapping him out right before the season for a guy they don't know/trust. I think they had hoped one of the punter's would have performed better and got caught off guard a bit. A little late on this one.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Very simple answer: They are waiting a week so if they bring in a veteran they don't have to guarantee his salary.  In the meantime, Bojorquez has one week to change their minds.  I hope he never has to punt this week and no wisecracks that it will be because of turnovers.  

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Seriously.  I’m asking the veterans and experts on here. Is there some conspiracy theories out there or what?

Does not make sense. 

Who’s out there? Really, I don’t keep track of FA punters so if there is a viable option on the wire I am curious to know.

I think with this upcoming season as we advance ahead on 6 wins, it's likely there will be alot of very close games. Field position will be critical.  He struggled last year and this preseason.  Guys like Colquitt, Miller, Anger and Allen were available and substantial upgrades. I think Sunday will be Bojos last stand. If he continues his 35 yard shankers with little hang time there's no doubt Sean will release him.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

What are we talking about... 3-4 yards here and there MAYBE? He has had some good ones and has been part of the team. Maybe the coaching staff has decided it's not worth the hassle. We'll either be good enough to win with an OK punter or we're not. 

Being pinned at the 5 vs a touchback is a much bigger difference than 3-4 yards

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

What are we talking about... 3-4 yards here and there MAYBE? He has had some good ones and has been part of the team. Maybe the coaching staff has decided it's not worth the hassle. We'll either be good enough to win with an OK punter or we're not. 

Maybe you better sit this round out.  Hang time prevents returns which can lead to TD's.  A shank can cost a team 40 yards.  Being able to pin them inside the 10 is crucial in terms of field position.  Having a good punter is a huge advantage.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Maybe you better sit this round out.  Hang time prevents returns which can lead to TD's.  A shank can cost a team 40 yards.  Being able to pin them inside the 10 is crucial in terms of field position.  Having a good punter is a huge advantage.

Someone tell Beane  and McDermott this. They had all the off season to find a good one. 

I think Albany, NY is right and this is where the NFLPA rule hurts veteran players.  A less experience player could sign on roster and bet on himself but a veteran cannot.

I hope between week 1 and week 2 some veteran punters are brought in, and try both punting and holding kicks.  I personally prefer athletic punters like Moorman was who can make plays other than by kicking whether it means the player is a good tackler, can throw the ball or can run.

30 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Ok. Fair enough. I'm in the minority. Just never really valued punters. Maybe it's a personal thing. Kick it and move on...

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean if you look at a bunch of guys and none of them are a clear cut better option than what you have then you'd probably not risk cutting who you've got.

I feel differently. Bojo has been so bad and inconsistent while wearing the uniform that giving another player a chance was the only move.

If by rare chance the new guy ended up being worse, at least you tried. Now, when the inevitable shank costs the Bills, fans are going to as why didn’t they see this coming and try something else. 

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Very simple answer: They are waiting a week so if they bring in a veteran they don't have to guarantee his salary.  In the meantime, Bojorquez has one week to change their minds.  I hope he never has to punt this week and no wisecracks that it will be because of turnovers.  

This right heah!!  ^^