Would you change team name if you had the power?

2 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

The Buffalo Wings has a delicious ring to it. Could have a bottle of ranch dressing as the mascot.

The old indoor soccer team was the Blizzard. i always liked that. Seems like almost all our teams past and present, sans Sabres, went the alliteration route actually.  

Edited by JoPar_v2
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

Blizzard does sound good, have to change the uniform and everything though.

Sure but those changes also would apply to all the crazy ideas the OP came up with too. What would the “Buffalo Hunters’” logo look like? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Just wanted to expand on my comment that Bills is awesome, apologies if this is a waste of your time, thanks for running a great site.

Why Bills is awesome to me:

I can't think of another pro team whose city name is directly connected to their logo (unless you include letters)

Not sure, but the Browns may be the only team named after a person, but nobody relates to that when they first hear it (a team named after a color?)

Since I've been following the team, I can't remember Buffalo Bill Cody ever being part of their branding. Yet that's the first thing you think of.

As a kid the above confused me and appealed to me

As a father I had to explain same to my kids

I hope that tradition continues even though none of us have set foot in Buffalo apart from being there for Bills games.

Go Bills!

buffalo_bill_cody.png

afl-game-program_1963-10-26_bos-buf.jpg

Here are early AFL pr posters

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

This isn't something I'd ever considered, but I'm kind of shocked at how open to it I am.

Assuming the logo stays the same, just "Buffalo" is intriguing, but media templates would be a problem.

Bisons would actually work! Just don't change the logo and I think we'd still feel it's the same team.

"Buffaloes" would be hilarious because Buffalo Buffaloes brings to mind "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo," but there would be problems with the spelling because people wouldn't know whether to use "Buffaloes" or "Buffalos."

Objectively, Bills is pretty embarrassing and causes lots of issues... Makes no sense with the branding, and I've had so many people (mainly women who aren't true football fans) call them the bulls or buffaloes. I've had so many blank stares after explaining the origins and the Buffalo Bill thing. It just makes no sense that Buffalo Bill isn't in our branding AT ALL. We could at least have an alternate logo or something, or how about Buffalo Bill riding the charging buffalo? Someone should do a mockup on that!

On the surface, "I'm a Bills fan" makes no sense to people. It might be the most confusing team name in sports. Bills? "Is the team named after people named Bill?" Buffalo Bill isn't widely known enough for it to be obvious, especially since he's not associated with the city of Buffalo. There's also a weird element with Buffalo Bill getting his name due to his talent for KILLING the animal on our helmet... It's all really odd.

How do you feel about the Browns name? 

6 hours ago, SDS said:

Given that the team is branded themselves as the buffalo buffaloes, we should just go the Madonna/Sting route and just call ourselves Buffalo with no nickname.

Even as a child I couldn't understand why the team would want a name that is associated with someone who in reality slaughtered buffalo (bison). It's like accepting a self-imposed curse. I've always thought the team should go with no nickname so I agree. And let's have a real buffalo as a mascot like the University of Colorado and get rid of Billy! A real buffalo running onto the field to the rumble of the Stampede Drumline representing the strength of the city of Buffalo. AWSOME!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1