Hulu Live

Virgil

Anyone use this?   Looking at it to replace cable as it has all the channels I use. 

More importantly, someone said you can change your zip code and watch out of market sporting games.  Has anyone do this in place of Sunday ticket?

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I just got it, the guide is terrible, well it's pretty much non existent.  I too have heard about switching zip codes, but not many details on it.

Are you going to try to use it tomorrow for the game?

Hulu live is also limited to your home depending on the device. I was in cape cod recently and couldn't watch on my Xbox because it knew I was in a different location. 

This is only because of the live TV aspect of it and viewing restrictions. 

Worked fine on my phone for some reason.

Is a pretty good service honestly.  I have the roof antenna for local stuff and Hulu live for all the network TV.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am looking at YouTube tv once I go south for the winter. The key with that is that you need to begin the local area on a device you will register.  Once it is registered in WNY, I will have up to 6 months in TX before it has to be back in the local area.  That will cover the season and I can cancel.

While Hulu may work differently, they must have some way to stop you from just changing zip codes.  Maybe billing zip on your credit card

Good luck and let us know if it works out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

It’s amazing for college football.... tons of games!!!

NFL you only get the national televised games. No NFL network games.

ESPN you’re good... other ESPN channels a on occasionally. It’s not a constant with some channels. Some are though.

QFT

Hulu uses your location to decide which NFL game you get, so it's no different than cable or over the air

But you get tons of college games

7 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I am looking at YouTube tv once I go south for the winter. The key with that is that you need to begin the local area on a device you will register.  Once it is registered in WNY, I will have up to 6 months in TX before it has to be back in the local area.  That will cover the season and I can cancel.

While Hulu may work differently, they must have some way to stop you from just changing zip codes.  Maybe billing zip on your credit card

Good luck and let us know if it works out.

It's based off your home network so it is likely going by your IP address. Can always create a vpn to watch it remotely if needed. 

They specifically list Hulu live tv as "single home network use only" because people were complaining that they had two homes but couldn't use it at both. 

Edited by The Wiz

31 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Anyone use this?   Looking at it to replace cable as it has all the channels I use. 

More importantly, someone said you can change your zip code and watch out of market sporting games.  Has anyone do this in place of Sunday ticket?

Wnyiptv.com. get rid of cable and everything else. If you pay more than $12 a month for every live channel and VOD you're paying to much. Look them up on Facebook. 

6 hours ago, bills7834 said:

Wnyiptv.com. get rid of cable and everything else. If you pay more than $12 a month for every live channel and VOD you're paying to much. Look them up on Facebook. 

Hi this is the FBI, please tell me more about this illegal streaming service that you are advertising

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

I used to have it. Was good decent channel lineup. But switches and like the PS Vue better. 

Never tried it in place of Sunday Ticket just the free Streams that have been talked about here and I Red it 

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Hulu live is also limited to your home depending on the device. I was in cape cod recently and couldn't watch on my Xbox because it knew I was in a different location. 

This is only because of the live TV aspect of it and viewing restrictions. 

Worked fine on my phone for some reason.

Is a pretty good service honestly.  I have the roof antenna for local stuff and Hulu live for all the network TV.  

I do the same. Antenna and Hulu. For me Video stream quality is pretty decent with Apple TV. 

They allow mobile streaming to mobile devices but to tv it’s fixed location from my understanding.  I’d also guess the app blocks casting it to a tv if you not at your home location. 

To OP, You can probably change zip but most devices know roughly where they are. So I’m not sure It’ll work. There used to be a free trail 7 day trial so you might have a no risk option to try it. 

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

Are you going to try to use it tomorrow for the game?

So when I go into Hulu I click the link that states SET OR CHANGE HOME, it comes back with this "By updating your home you are indicating to us that you have moved to a new home location. You have used 0 / 4 of your available home changes within the past 12 months"   There's a button below that says RETURN TO ACCOUNT but nothing else to click on so don't see where I can change it.  Hmmmmmm......!

Last couple of seasons I've used Reddit and it's been pretty reliable.

OK so as I re-read it, think it is not letting me change it becasue it knows based on IP address that I haven't gone anywhere.  If I logged in a different location, then would likely allow me to use it there.  Maybe if when I first subscribed my computer was sitting in Western NY, could have set it there and even though never actually there again, could have left NY as my home??  Probably if I had a VPN to switch to Western NY could change it to there and leave it?

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I doubt switching zip codes would do much. It'll just see the same IP address either way, giving away your location.

VPN's might work, but there can be other issues with that too. If your VPN will allow you to select the location, it could potentially work, but a lot of them randomly bounce around, sometimes out of country. The reason that can definitely be an issue is Hulu is very region locked. It's not available outside North America, so you might just get booted from Hulu straight up lol.

I have hulu and I use a Roku to watch it on my TV.  It has been nice for the most part, but here are a couple of issues I have run into:

- Even with fiber optic internet it occasionally goes through buffering.  It really only happens maybe once or twice a month.

- Even when I'm watching a game live the feed is a little behind.  Sometimes I will follow the gameday thread or shoutbox on TBD as I'm watching the game and I will see messages on the board about plays that I haven't on my TV yet due to my feed being behind.

- I see some people mentioning the VPN and I know you mentioned the possibility of watching in other markets.  I've never been able to watch stuff in other markets but I did once set my VPN address out of the country and I had to switch it back to the US because Hulu thought I was in an area where certain channels aren't available.  Also, when I watch on my laptop or phone, I have to turn my VPN off.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I have YoutubeTV and it is pretty good.  You are able to stream on unlimited devices for no extra charge which is a huge bonus over other streaming services.  I have to get the Sabres off of reddit though.  

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12