Steely Dan

T&C

Charlie Freak might have been the only song they wrote that showed some sort of empathy...

Strange but incredibly talented two they were. 

I remember selling a CD of "Live at the Record Plant 1974" 15 years ago for $140... originals are rare as I'm sure it's been copied all over the place.

Here we hear it on youtube:

I'm sure many here know that the Dan is at the very top of my musical favorite list. Even if this music isn't your cup-o-tea, it's hard to deny the skill of their songwriting (musically and lyrically) and their unbelievable production skills.

It was tough when Walt died. I saw one show and while it was top-notch musically, there was something missing. To Fagen's credit he kept an empty space on stage, with a mic (and maybe a guitar stand?---I cant' remember) in honor of Becker.  Maybe that's why it seemed so melancholy at times. I believe they have dispensed with that this year, as Connor Kennedy joins the band full time on guitar #2. Still they mention/honor Walt at every show, so I hear.

I'll see for myself when I go to the Orpheum in Boston to see The Royal Scam on October 30th.

Oh, and as to the OPs original question, I've seen that video but don't want to watch it again right now.  If you are still interested tell me what you think the mistake in the vid is, and I'll let you know.

Fabulous live recording of a Royal Scam concert. Pretty much what it sounds like if you have a good seat at a SD show. Larry Carlton sitting in:

They start, and end, every concert with a jazz instrumental. On an album night like this, one of the Danettes walks out and places an album on a turntable and puts the needle down. That's the static you hear before Kid C. She also flips it for the second side.

Edited by The Dean

11 hours ago, Lurker said:

Fagen can't sing anymore.  He sort of scats and croaks and sometimes just gives up.   Sad, as they were one of my all-time favs....

He sounded a bit rough for a few years there. But when I saw him with the Nightflyers he was in great voice. Sounded pretty good the last time I saw SD, too. He's been working on strengthening his voice in his old age. But he never had a traditionally great voice. But he sure knows how to sing (which is different than having a great voice).

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

He sounded a bit rough for a few years there. But when I saw him with the Nightflyers he was in great voice. Sounded pretty good the last time I saw SD, too. He's been working on strengthening his voice in his old age. But he never had a traditionally great voice. But he sure knows how to sing (which is different than having a great voice).

Saw him twice in the past year with the SD tour.   The first time, I was disappointed, but chalked it up to a bad night.   He was even worse at the second show, and I think he knew it.   There were a couple of songs where he just seemed to throw up his hands and give up on trying to hit his notes.     

I'll always love their recorded work, but that's it for ever buying another ticket...  

40 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Saw him twice in the past year with the SD tour.   The first time, I was disappointed, but chalked it up to a bad night.   He was even worse at the second show, and I think he knew it.   There were a couple of songs where he just seemed to throw up his hands and give up on trying to hit his notes.     

I'll always love their recorded work, but that's it for ever buying another ticket...  

spin the wheel of risk when the performer is past 60 years old

back in the day it was a risk when they were in their 30s

28 minutes ago, row_33 said:

spin the wheel of risk when the performer is past 60 years old

back in the day it was a risk when they were in their 30s

Yeah, I know.    They were never a touring band and it shows with the decline of what little 'live' singing voice Donald has left.   I suspect Walter knew that as well and, hence, the limited touring before his passing...   

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yeah, I know.    They were never a touring band and it shows with the decline of what little 'live' singing voice Donald has left.   I suspect Walter knew that as well and, hence, the limited touring before his passing...   

For the last couple years of his life, Walter wasn't doing well. He would sit in a chair and looked out of it on occasion.  But the band is the best in the biz life. The Danettes do a damn good job of covering for vocal lapses, IMO.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

David Byrne was able to sing and play and dance around for hours and encores just fine last year

The two SD major dudes seemed like severe introverts and they just preferred torturing studio musicians and couldn't bother to tour

I saw Steely Dan about 5 years or so ago at the Tower in Philly. Incredibly tight band, but very little spontaneity, which is more of what I look for, but it was a good show. Complete sausage fest though, only a handful of women in the crowd. :thumbdown: King Crimson had at least 10x more in a much, much smaller Philly venue, go figure.

Edited by Rico