What I expect from Jets D vs Bills O:

SJDK

I expect a lot of short zone from jets LB’s and man on the outside. I don’t think they will spy with Mosley. They will slide the zone if Allen escapes the pocket and use more safeties than LB’s to cover the tight ends. This could open up deep outside throws with a single deep safety. 

If Josh should run outside expect 2 short zone LB’s to hit him. “Take the head off the snake” if you will.

We should have wheel routes open to backs and Cole Beasley should be open on intermediate routes if Josh gets outside. However if Josh stays in the pocket (due to good protection or outside pass rush), we could see some down field shots.

We all expect Gregg-o to blitz but I think it will be less than a typical amount from him. Probably delayed blitzes from short zone LB’s.

Allen will take some shots this game but he will have opportunities deep in my opinion. If he misses it will be single coverage and he will look very bad but he has an equal chance to show his accuracy improvements. I don’t see him being able to run consistently however.

It’s a zero or hero game for Josh. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SJDK said:

I expect a lot of short zone from jets LB’s and man on the outside. I don’t think they will spy with Mosley. They will slide the zone if Allen escapes the pocket and use more safeties than LB’s to cover the tight ends. This could open up deep outside throws with a single deep safety. 

If Josh should run outside expect 2 short zone LB’s to hit him. “Take the head off the snake” if you will.

We should have wheel routes open to backs and Cole Beasley should be open on intermediate routes if Josh gets outside. However if Josh stays in the pocket (due to good protection or outside pass rush), we could see some down field shots.

We all expect Gregg-o to blitz but I think it will be less than a typical amount from him. Probably delayed blitzes from short zone LB’s.

Allen will take some shots this game but he will have opportunities deep in my opinion. If he misses it will be single coverage and he will look very bad but he has an equal chance to show his accuracy improvements. I don’t see him being able to run consistently however.

If he blitzes less than normal, it's a sign I think that he doesn't believe Josh can beat them with his arm.

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

If he blitzes less than normal, it's a sign I think that he doesn't believe Josh can beat them with his arm.

This actually very much what I think Greg’s plan is. Such a cocky dude. I hope josh throws it away of his forehead at least once.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SJDK said:

I expect teams to blitz until allen shows the ability to consistently make you pay.  He was not very good against the blitz or pressure in general a year ago, so teams will dial up pressure until he proves capable of stopping it.  Beasley will be huge as a hot receiver in these types of situations, same with TEs and the running backs (both picking up blitzes and lining up wide as receivers to force teams to spread out.

Last night's game showed how defenses are always ahead of offenses at this time in the season.  Defense doesn't really have to perform in order to be successful, whereas the offense does.

I think this will be a low scoring game with both defenses looking good, and both offenses struggling.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Which I think is the right bet week 1. Its gonna be a healthy dose of Beasly on super short underneath stuff and some shots down the field. If Josh connects then itll open up for him as they move to Cover2, Cover 3.

1 hour ago, atomicpwrd said:

If I am Daboll, I come out 5 wide and dare the Jets to blitz.  Between Allen's running ability, his deep possibilities, and a week Jets secondary, we should be successful offensively.  I would also put Ford inside and Ty at right tackle.

I agree with this. Cover 1 did a great piece on Josh playing well in empty backfield sets. Bills would be attacking the Jets at their most vulnerable spot DB’s. And like said above will give Josh running lanes on which to scramble 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

I think it’s more a sign he doesn’t trust his CBs and LBs in coverage. 

I have long grown tired of having the opposing defense dictate what we do on offense.  Now, we haven't exactly had the best personnel on offense to reverse this trend, but now.....it's time to change that.  It's time for us to come out and impose our offensive strengths on defenses.

We finally have a QB that is willing to be aggressive and push the ball down the field.  Allen is a big, strong, fast QB that can stretch the field.  Now, he isn't perfect, and he will never be the most accurate guy, but so what.  If I'm the Bills, I am using 4 and 5 WRs a bunch.  I am sending guys to all levels of the field, mostly attacking the intermediate and long areas.  This will get guys out of the box and force defenses to cover down the field.  Allen is a strong enough runner to make team pay with his legs if they commit too many guys deep and more than good enough with his arm to make teams pay if they don't respect him throwing the ball.  Running guys down the field will also open more holes in the running game and we have backs that can take advantage of that.  Force the defense to get guys out of the box and get them deeper than they are used to playing.

Allen doesn't have to be a 65% completion guy to be good in the league.  This is a league of big plays and big plays lead to points.  So, I would be just fine with him at 55%-57% if he is constantly pushing the ball deep.  If he does that, the shorter stuff will open up and he can take those when needed.  But you have to play to Allen's strengths and he has shown to have a very unique skill set and do things that most other QBs can't do.

So, don't force Allen to try and be perfect.  Let him do what he does and run a vertical offense.....maybe to an extreme that hasn't been done before in the league.  Go out and force defenses to do something they don't normally have to do and just not react to what they want to do.  Go impose your will.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Gregg Williams is as hard headed as a man ever was. He'll be trying to send exotic blitzes all game long at Josh. Josh will scramble for a lot of yards. Let's hope Josh can stand tall in the pocket and deliver the ball with confidence.

Williams has not had a top defense in a long time. He'll just be running his same old defense. Last year his defense was ranked 30th in yards allowed. I don't think any of us need to be overly concerned with a Gregg Williams defense.

• Like (+1) 1