Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock a “cracker” during Wednesday’s altercation

wppete

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There was a former player source that worked for the media who Tomlin told that "you had no idea what we kept hidden and put put with" when it came to Antonio Brown.  I think the Raiders are learning that the hard way.

All I did was read his Wikipedia page. He couldn't get into Florida State University because of academic concerns. He was expelled from Florida International University after an altercation with security. At Central Michigan it was common for him to miss meetings and be late to practice.

This guy had always been a character concern.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You believe them?  

I don't believe a word they say.

I believe the Raiders, read Gruden and Davis, said more by accepting him back and declaring he will play on Monday than anything else. If they were serious about any suspension, etc., they would have acted already. 

I bet Mayock was never on board with the signing after what he pulled in Pittsburgh because he actually played and has respect for the game. Gruden and Davis couldn’t care less.

Mayock is googling “mama” jokes as I type this. 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

All I did was read his Wikipedia page. He couldn't get into Florida State University because of academic concerns.

Wow.  That's kind-of like being unable to get sent to Attica because you're homicidal.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I believe the Raiders, read Gruden and Davis, said more by accepting him back and declaring he will play on Monday than anything else. If they were serious about any suspension, etc., they would have acted already. 

I believe they have a random number generator in place of their brains, and the dice have no memory.

• Haha (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I got it.... That makes sense. That actually does change my opinion then... other than the fact that they should just cut him on principle, it does make sense to keep him if he's gonna pretend to toe the line for the time being- as long as that out is there. 

I'm kind of thinking that is the reason they told him to stay away and took 24 hrs to take action.

I think both Brown/Rosenhaus and Oakland were consulting their respective attorneys and Brown/Rosenhaus got told, "You want your money, you better mend your fences and mind your P's and Q's." while Oakland got told "you don't have to suspend him for Game 1 to void your guarantees, that option will remain open"

Mind you, it's just my opinion, but based upon the PFT article and some other sources about NFL contracts and the CBA.

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can see Mayock goading AB and suing for damages when AB goes total ape crap. 

I think Mayock is a pro and he took the job to actually have the chance to build a winning team.  It's in his interest to have a thick skin and try to find a path where AB can do what they signed him for - contribute to a successful team.

My personal opinion is that there's no malice in AB, but he totally lacks impulse control and empathy.  He's in the moment, and it's all about him.  That being the case, I think the chances of more incidents and another meltdown are near 100%, but it's absolutely the right thing to do to smooth things over and make as much use of AB as they can.

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

All I did was read his Wikipedia page. He couldn't get into Florida State University because of academic concerns. He was expelled from Florida International University after an altercation with security. At Central Michigan it was common for him to miss meetings and be late to practice.

This guy had always been a character concern.

Interesting, good info.  If I thought the probability of more incidents was less than 100%, this info would raise it.

15 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Brown is good get over it 

He can't throw himself the ball, is the point.  Neither can he design the scheme to scheme himself open.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Mayock is a pro and he took the job to actually have the chance to build a winning team.  It's in his interest to have a thick skin and try to find a path where AB can do what they signed him for - contribute to a successful team.

My personal opinion is that there's no malice in AB, but he totally lacks impulse control and empathy.  He's in the moment, and it's all about him.  That being the case, I think the chances of more incidents and another meltdown are near 100%, but it's absolutely the right thing to do to smooth things over and make as much use of AB as they can.

I was totally joking in that post. I agree Mayock isn’t petty and will seek the high road. But I also think he fully realizes how little power he has in building that winning team you mention. He cannot have final say when the coach is getting paid $100m over 10 years.

And while I think Mayock isn’t the petty type, I also don’t think he appreciates having his nuts handed to him in such a public display, either. I said yesterday that I don’t think he will be there much longer and I’m more convinced of that than ever after today.

He's a loser character wise. Talented loser for sure. Would not want him on my team but can see why teams will take that risk. Frankly this type of thing pulsating through the NFL has made me much less a fan than I was 50-60 years ago. Maybe younger fans are more tolerant.

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I agree in that it wouldn't offend me in the slightest but I think the point here is that it is MEANT to cause a lot of offense. And the problem for the Raiders is that if they let him get away with it you know there will be people screaming double standards. Just imagine if a Ravens player had called Newsome any derogatory name for blacks. Even if Brown were to say "I don't think all white people are crackers" all you have to do is spin it around to the hypothetical Ravens player saying "I don't think all blacks are..." to see that that argument wouldn't stop said player getting crucified.

It's a tough one because as I say, it doesn't offend me at all (and how many black people would say n*****r doesn't offend them?) and white people in America haven't had the same history as black people, but I do dislike hypocrisy and if something like that gets swept away then it sort of shines a light on that. It also makes rednecks think "well there you go, I can say what want because blah blah blah" and they'll constantly use this as an argument whenever they want to point out a double standard.

I hate knee jerk reactions to things, but if you're preaching ALL racism is wrong then you have to punish him exactly as you would a white guy who called his black GM the N word Though I can't think of any examples where that might have happened. The only thing I can think of is the Eagles receiver who got caught on tape being racially abusive, and as far as I can recall he didn't lose his job so maybe an apology will do

(I'd be more than okay with that personally, so long as he agreed to stop acting like a dick)

Could you get that agreement in writing?

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Am I alone in that I wouldn’t even be a little offended if someone called me a “cracker” or “honkey” or any other racist term for white people? You could say about 213,000 other things that my sensitive @$$ would be bothered more by. 

When I was working down south someone got fired for calling another employee a “*****” Is that the same kind of thing? An out of date ridiculous racial slur? Maybe I’m wrong? It wouldn’t bothered me but anyone talking like that is opening themselves up to being criticized and I’d bet most people talking like that aren’t good people anyways. 

Dang it edited my example. It wasn’t the N word but some out of date foolish slur. 

Edited by CommonCents

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

He's a loser character wise. Talented loser for sure. Would not want him on my team but can see why teams will take that risk. Frankly this type of thing pulsating through the NFL has made me much less a fan than I was 50-60 years ago. Maybe younger fans are more tolerant.

I’m a younger fan who is quite tolerant of a lot of poor behavior because the world is full of talented people with low character. Many of them are quite successful in various fields of life. I really don’t give a hoot about a football player having no character if they produce on the field. The issue with Brown is that he’s taken his act too far. His behavior will likely cost him the ability to be successful on the field. I’m just glad he didn’t come

to Buffalo. I couldn’t have cared less about his alleged character issues, but now it’s clear it will interfere with his ability to play ball. 

5 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Carr has been a productive QB in this league. 240 yards a game to Ben’s 260. No reason AB can’t get 1000-1500 of like usual. 

Actually, Ben's ypg while Brown was there was 286.

What no racism card pulled yet for his action WOW it sure would be different if Mayock used a crass expletive I'm thinking this guy is a cancer & Gruen has no stones what so ever !! 

I think Al just turned over in his grave !! 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Carr has been a productive QB in this league. 240 yards a game to Ben’s 260. No reason AB can’t get 1000-1500 of like usual. 

Just to be clear,  you aren’t suggesting Derek Carr is as good as Big Ben because he’s averaged just 20 less passing yards a game, are you? 

No QB in the history of the game has been better at extending plays and giving his receivers a ton of extra time to get open and then FINDING them than BR. He’s routinely made stars out of his receivers since he began as a result, including AB. I’m amazed at how easily you dismiss this reality. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

When I was working down south someone got fired for calling another employee a “*****” Is that the same kind of thing? An out of date ridiculous racial slur? Maybe I’m wrong? It wouldn’t bothered me but anyone talking like that is opening themselves up to being criticized and I’d bet most people talking like that aren’t good people anyways. 

Dang it edited my example. It wasn’t the N word but some out of date foolish slur. 

If someone called me "5 Stars" I would take it as a compliment. Unless it was out of 10...

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Just to be clear,  you aren’t suggesting Derek Carr is as good as Big Ben because he’s averaged just 20 less passing yards a game, are you? 

No QB in the history of the game has been better at extending plays and giving his receivers a ton of extra time to get open and then FINDING them than BR. He’s routinely made stars out of his receivers since he began as a result, including AB. I’m amazed at how easily you dismiss this reality. 

Nope never said that. But you suggested AB won’t be as good. He will help the offense immensely. Kinda like cole Beasley and John brown. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m a younger fan who is quite tolerant of a lot of poor behavior because the world is full of talented people with low character. Many of them are quite successful in various fields of life. I really don’t give a hoot about a football player having no character if they produce on the field. The issue with Brown is that he’s taken his act too far. His behavior will likely cost him the ability to be successful on the field. I’m just glad he didn’t come

to Buffalo. I couldn’t have cared less about his alleged character issues, but now it’s clear it will interfere with his ability to play ball. 

I agree with pretty much all you say here. One thing I always told my kids is don't associate the term role model with athletes, entertainers and such. Money and success are not necessarily indicators of character. In fact they often are the cause of surrendering character.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Only if they feel it is being implied as of the Saltine variety. I find myself to be more of a Ritz. 

I'm a water cracker myself.  Unless we are talking about Cheez-Its. They have a special place in my belly...I mean heart. 

• Haha (+1) 1