Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock a “cracker” during Wednesday’s altercation

wppete

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Am I alone in that I wouldn’t even be a little offended if someone called me a “cracker” or “honkey” or any other racist term for white people? You could say about 213,000 other things that my sensitive @$$ would be bothered more by. 

Sticks and stones. No words should bother anyone. They are just words. I let them go in one ear and out the other. Ask my wife! ?

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Of course it's racist, but what I think many folks are saying is that the term doesn't carry with it the weight of a few hundred years of tangible discrimination, and so it's not generally viewed as being that bad (rightly or wrongly).

I understand that thought process and I’m sympathetic of the evils committed. I also feel that it’s logically hypocritical and that’s why it’s also wrong and should carry the same weight. We can’t allow racism one way and not the other. If that’s the case then we have to rewrite the dictionary.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

It's the equivalent of skinny-shaming a supermodel.

I actually don't think it's quite as bad, because IMO people that get thin-shamed or fit-shamed or anything similar are typically being attacked over something that they worked hard to accomplish, and that's actually pretty cruel in its own right.

Calling a white dude a cracker, well, hey, I was born this way.

But you're right that the response to both is generally "yeah, and?"

1 minute ago, SJDK said:

I understand that thought process and I’m sympathetic of the evils committed. I also feel that it’s logically hypocritical and that’s why it’s also wrong and should carry the same weight. We can’t allow racism one way and not the other. If that’s the case then we have to rewrite the dictionary.

Sure, discrimination in all forms should be discouraged and chastised.

I think it's going to be a long time before "cracker" makes its way to anywhere near the top of the list (and for quite understandable reasons)

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I think it's going to be a long time before "cracker" makes its way to anywhere near the top of the list (and for quite understandable reasons)

I agree with what you said. From an ethical standpoint it is not understandable however.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Am I alone in that I wouldn’t even be a little offended if someone called me a “cracker” or “honkey” or any other racist term for white people? You could say about 213,000 other things that my sensitive @$$ would be bothered more by. 

It wouldn't bother me at all, and in fact, I'm pretty sure I would laugh or at least smile.

But that is because I know I'm not a racist and so the term has no meaning when thrown my way.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I agree in that it wouldn't offend me in the slightest but I think the point here is that it is MEANT to cause a lot of offense. And the problem for the Raiders is that if they let him get away with it you know there will be people screaming double standards. Just imagine if a Ravens player had called Newsome any derogatory name for blacks. Even if Brown were to say "I don't think all white people are crackers" all you have to do is spin it around to the hypothetical Ravens player saying "I don't think all blacks are..." to see that that argument wouldn't stop said player getting crucified.

It's a tough one because as I say, it doesn't offend me at all (and how many black people would say n*****r doesn't offend them?) and white people in America haven't had the same history as black people, but I do dislike hypocrisy and if something like that gets swept away then it sort of shines a light on that. It also makes rednecks think "well there you go, I can say what want because blah blah blah" and they'll constantly use this as an argument whenever they want to point out a double standard.

I hate knee jerk reactions to things, but if you're preaching ALL racism is wrong then you have to punish him exactly as you would a white guy who called his black GM the N word Though I can't think of any examples where that might have happened. The only thing I can think of is the Eagles receiver who got caught on tape being racially abusive, and as far as I can recall he didn't lose his job so maybe an apology will do

(I'd be more than okay with that personally, so long as he agreed to stop acting like a dick)

No doubt that he intended it to be hurtful. That’s ind of my original point though, it’s not hurtful. It would have cut much deeper if he said something like, “so that’s why your wife called me last night.” Not saying that’s happening, just that there are WAY better ways to hurt a white person than by calling them a cracker. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

But the issue is still the racist intent. N- word can be used without racist intent (as evidence by the black communities that use it as a term of endearment- not that I understand that). Brown likely meant cracker as a slur, thus its offensive and just as bad as any other slur.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Of course it's racist, but what I think many folks are saying is that the term doesn't carry with it the weight of a few hundred years of tangible discrimination, and so it's not generally viewed as being that bad (rightly or wrongly).

Hey .... you're that white dude, right?

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No doubt that he intended it to be hurtful. That’s ind of my original point though, it’s not hurtful. It would have cut much deeper if he said something like, “so that’s why your wife called me last night.” Not saying that’s happening, just that there are WAY better ways to hurt a white person than by calling them a cracker. 

Depends who the white is I guess. Me and you wouldn't be offended but Maycock might have been (he's probably more offended at being threatened with violence)