What Are You Hoping To See Week 1?

H2o

Last night's ugly game between the Packers and Bears was a tough one to watch. If you are a Packers fan though it doesn't matter because your team got the W. If we win on Sunday I don't care how it happens. Pretty, ugly, grinding it out on the ground, slinging it 40 times through the air, whatever works. I know we are all hoping to see a win, but what will you be focusing on outside of that?

I expect Josh to be Josh on Sunday. I expect him to create with his legs when the pocket breaks down. I am also hoping to see progression from the young man in his reads, pocket presence, and decision making though. Everyone wants to make a big deal about the one INT he threw in preseason. I don't because I don't think he makes that throw if he knows the game counts. Basically from Josh I just want to see growth. Everyone's answer will most likely be the same or along these lines. 

The new look OL. We have 4 new starters and the Jets' defensive front is one of the better ones in the league. I want to see these guys working as a cohesive unit opening running lanes and keeping the heat off of JA. I expect some pressure because it is the first game and these guys are still getting used to one another. I am also hoping to see them resemble a solid NFL offensive line this year and not the constant jailbreak on every play like it was a season ago. My main focus will be on two players, Ford and Spain. Will Ford be able to handle guys coming off the edge and will he be able to work with Feliciano picking up the twists or stunts that Greggo likes to run up front? Will Spain be able to hold his own in Pass Pro? I wouldn't be surprised to see in-game adjustments if either of them struggles due to the depth we actually have this year. 

How is the backfield going to shake out? I know we have Gore, who seems to be a freak of nature, but the fact of the matter is he is 36 years old. There is a lot of tread worn off of those tires. What kind of workload can we truthfully expect? We all know what Yeldon is. A decent at most things, but not great at anything back who will get a few spot carries and be used in the passing game on occasion. What I am hoping to see is the reason we let Shady go being due to the fact Singletary made him expendable and not due to cap reasons, which we were good on before his release. It will be interesting to see the concepts Daboll deploys for each individual. 

Now on to the QB of the defense. Le'Veon Bell was easily a top 5 RB in the league before he went on his hiatus. If he is the same Bell with fresh legs then it could possibly be a long afternoon as we have seen this story before. What I am hoping to see is a more decisive Tremaine Edmunds reading the plays and getting downhill to make the tackle before Bell can get up to speed. We all know how he likes to slow down and wait for something to open up before accelerating through a lane. If Edmunds is reading things right and taking proper angles then he should be in on a lot of tackles this Sunday. If he is not then it may make for a long afternoon. 

The front 4 on defense. I want to see if we can get off of blocks and generate some pressure this year. We all know that Hughes is one of the better DE's in the league, but who is going to step up to help him. I am still very skeptical of Murphy because he seems like a one trick pony best served to be in on 3rd and long situations. Shaq has improved over the last couple of years, but he is more like our modern day Kelsay than anything else. Darryl Johnson has been a pleasant surprise, but now he will be facing each team's best OT's each week versus backups in a vanilla preseason setting. Can Ed get the interior pressure needed to collapse the pocket and force Darnold into rash decisions, the type that I saw him constantly making his Junior year at USC when their OL would break down? All in all I am hoping that they make enough plays to rattle Darnold and help lead us to victory. 

The punter. Yes, we are talking about the stupid punter. Watching last night's game made me think of how huge field position is, especially in the first week of the season when most teams aren't firing on all cylinders. One shank of a punt when you are kicking from inside your 20 and you basically are handing the other team at least a FG attempt. I'm hoping our punter shows well on Sunday and doesn't put our defense in a hole from the jump. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

it seems last nights game, although I did not watch the whole game but the first quarter especially showed just how rusty both teams were. I expect a lot of teams to show that in their first game. the only thing you can hope for is preparation. I hope the bills are the better prepared team. if so, it could mean a win.

• Like (+1) 5

I expect Tremaine gets relatively neutralized as Bell is such a threat catching passes. If Edmunds isn’t on his horse, this could become a shootout. With him ‘out of position’ Darnold will try to take advantage. That’s a situation we haven’t seen Allen in and a lack of precision passing in a Air-filled circus would doom us. Additionally, their Secondary deserves attacking -again it’s on Josh. 

I have no idea how this turns out.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m just hoping for a solid, sound football game by all three units. Few if any stupid penalties. Make the Jets beat us, don’t beat ourselves. If we can accomplish that I am confident we will be the better team and leave with a W.

Now with that said a total butt whooping would really be nice and make the beers taste better! Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm feeling pretty confident in the defense continuing to build on a solid year last year. What I want to see is an offensive line that takes care of the business of protecting our young QB and opening up holes for our running game.  I think this is the key.  Everything else on offense is going to take care of itself if the OL is competent.  I was encouraged to see in camp and the preseason to see the WRs, RBs, TEs making plays.  Allen has clearly been working to improve his short yardage passing game and I believe many will be surprised to see it as the season progresses. Singletary looked effective both running and catching.The ageless Gore and Yeldon also have skills. The WRs have been looking much improved over last year.  The TEs even with injuries have shown that the position has some depth.

Whether the OL is only modestly improved or greatly improved I really haven't been able to get a bead on.  This is the group that I am most concerned with but even so,  I can't help feeling pretty confident in the direction our beloved Buffalo Bills are heading. I am unconcerned with the skill positions.  Those guys in the trenches are the ones that can make everyone else on the team better. 

• Like (+1) 1

A Win. 

I also want to see Singletary take the job and never look back and show the football world why McCoy was released. 

Also want to see Allen take that step and show he is the man that secures the QB position for a decade plus. 

• Like (+1) 4

This week against a very good defensive line we will find out what we have.  If our OL can win it's matchups this week, this is going to be a very fun year to watch. I am really glad we are playing this team in particular, because they are perfect for evaluating what kind of offense we will have. It's better to find out now rather midway through the season before adjustments are made to correct any issues.

• Like (+1) 1