Examining Allen Expectations

HOUSE

By Jon Scott Orchard Park
PUBLISHED 7:00 AM ET Sep. 06, 2019

I firmly believe the Bills will go as far this season as Josh Allen will take them.

But how far should we expect him to go?

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/bills/2019/09/05/examining-expectations-for-buffalo-bills-qb-josh-allen

Edited by HOUSE
too much copyright material
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Also,  no matter what anyone says,  Allen is a Dual threat QB.  Last year he had almost equal number of Rushing TD...That should count towards his stats.  Having some one like Beasley will help his completion percentage.  If Allen came up with the above stats and added another 8 Rushing TD, that would be an incredible Sophomore year.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Beane/Allen said:

Be smart and limit your mistakes. 

Hopefully some stats will come with that. 

actually i hope they  spread the field often and let him throw alot and use his athletic ability. yeah there will be mistakes made and maybe some game ending interceptions but let him learn and be aggressive. im not saying never run the ball but lets let this kid PLAY and gain experience this year!!

my expectations..

3100-3300 yards passing

500-600 rushing (you can't tell him not to, felt when Taylor decided not to run, it limited our offense)

20-23 TD passes (team will have more rushing yards with Gore)

6-8 rushing TDs

62% passing (shorter routes)

30 total touchdowns and he's doing OK, 40 total and he's doing well.

3600 total yards and he's doing decent, that can be adjusted by how well we play special teams and run the ball tho.

completion % to me is not as important, conversion rate on 3rd down is, as is turnover rate (on all plays, runs and passes).

5 minutes ago, colin said:

30 total touchdowns and he's doing OK, 40 total and he's doing well.

3600 total yards and he's doing decent, that can be adjusted by how well we play special teams and run the ball tho.

completion % to me is not as important, conversion rate on 3rd down is, as is turnover rate (on all plays, runs and passes).

You realize your definition of "well" in terms of TDs would put him at second in the NFL in TDs in 2018?  Your definition of just "OK" would put him top 10.  Woof. High bar. 

Allen is not a high volume passing QB, and this offense wont be designed to make him be one either. We are still going to be pounding the rock and relying on good defense this year. Allen will hit the big pass plays here and there, but not going to all of a sudden put up Mahomes numbers like some of you are wishing for. OP numbers are prob just about where he will fall at end of year. Will be growth from last year, and with good D and a running game that should put us in the playoffs or at least close to it. Should be a fun year still!

Not sure going by the "average" numbers from these 15 quarterbacks is a going to be an accurate measurement.

Quite simply.... some QBs get better with experience and development.  These guys become stars, franchise quarterbacks and solid starters.

Some QBs hit a wall and fail to progress.  In some cases they get worse as defenses catch-on to their tendencies.  These guys turn into busts.

For example, Jared Goff's completion percentage jumped by nearly 8 points from his rookie season to Year 2.  He went from a 5-7 TD-INT line to 28-7, and increased his yards per game by almost 100.  Meanwhile, Robert Griffin III was a Pro Bowler as a rookie, and went steadily downhill afterwards.  His completion percentage dropped by 5 points.  His TD-INT ration went from 20-5 to 16-12.  His yards per game went up, but his yards per attempt dropped from 8.1 to 7.0.  

In my opinion, you aren't getting a realistic picture by averaging out the results from Goff and Griffin.  One guy got better.  One guy got worse.

How much does Allen's processing/understanding improve?  How about his mechanics and accuracy?  How will he respond to defenses focusing on stopping his scrambles?  Hard to quantify that by looking at a dozen or so completely different players, and averaging out their stats.

48 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You realize your definition of "well" in terms of TDs would put him at second in the NFL in TDs in 2018?  Your definition of just "OK" would put him top 10.  Woof. High bar. 

he was what, 20 total TDs last year in his first season on a horrible O in like 12 or 13 games?

This is based on my expectations of him becoming a great QB, mind you, but it's not that massive of a change for him to have 50% more total TDs in his second year with 25% more games and improving, is it?