Why are even the local beat writers/ radio guys calling the Jets a better offense?

billsredneck1

14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Win the first 3 and the mindset will change (for most) and then the talk will be ... When will the Bills come down to earth ? 

Bills season timeline:

"They're a 6 win team tops."

"Jets are overrated."

"Remember 2008 when they started 5-1? How'd that work out?"

"Let's see how they do later in the year when they play good teams."

"The Patriots were overrated."

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can you provide a list of that superior Jets talent? I'm having trouble.

Lev Bell if he is anything like his former self is the best RB between these teams at this stage of their careers by so far it isn't even funny. Robby Andersonis the best receiver between the two rosters too and Chris Herndon (not playing the first few weeks because of a ban admittedly) is a year ahead of a Dawson Knox or a Tommy Sweeney in terms of having been there and at least having some NFL level production. I think the Bills offensive line is better, I think our depth on offense is better too and the QBs for me are pretty much a wash at this stage. Based on their 2018 tape Darnold has the edge as a passer, Allen has the edge as a playmaker. Defensively is where I think the Bills are clearly better than the Jets. They have health and ability question marks at corner (though an excellent pair of safeties) and injury and coverage capacity questions at linebacker. Oh and coaching. We are better there too. I do think the Jets will have a decent year though. 

Edited by GunnerBill

That silly interception that Josh Allen threw as he was running out of bounds a couple weeks ago just cemented in everyone’s minds that he is still making dumb rookie mistakes. He won’t get any respect as long as he keeps doing that kind of thing, even though it was a preseason game, and it was called back on a penalty. 

15 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

I don't get it. Is it because they want to get clicks?  I'm listening to WGR guys saying this..are you kidding me?  Well throw it on because the Karma and the Bills with Josh Allen will hang 40 on the Jets. iIm confident now, knowing all the media pundits are playing what they believe to be the safe side bet. Underdogs even with our own reporters? To them all i can say is... SUCK IT!

Bell is a better back than anyone we have.  While they didn't make the splash signings on the oline - they return a few starters and had a better O-line than buffalo last year.  

WR wise i would say we may be close to even - Andersons underrated but honestly so is brown.  Enunwa is oft-injured but talented.  Crowder is also good when healthy.  Based on production though it would seem like the Jets have a leg up, no?

Darnold also looked more polished than allen.  

It'll all come down to Allen for our offense - if he is vastly improved all the other pieces will look good.  

Bills are irrelevant until we start winning. 

I agree with those that say the main difference is Darnold is viewed as legit and Bell, an elite back.

That’s basically the entire reason they are viewed, on paper, as a better offense. 

WR/TE’s seem to be pretty even.  

Nobody knows who Devin Singletary is yet, and as a small market team that’s hasnt been winnng, the only thing less exciting for pundits to do nationally, would be a deep dive on said teams heavily invested in OL.   Therefore, the narrative is about “names”, not the “team”, until the games are played. 

16 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

I don't get it. Is it because they want to get clicks?  I'm listening to WGR guys saying this..are you kidding me?  Well throw it on because the Karma and the Bills with Josh Allen will hang 40 on the Jets. iIm confident now, knowing all the media pundits are playing what they believe to be the safe side bet. Underdogs even with our own reporters? To them all i can say is... SUCK IT!

they got you to listen

they got you upset

they got you to give them free ad time on our board

mission accomplished

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

That silly interception that Josh Allen threw as he was running out of bounds a couple weeks ago just cemented in everyone’s minds that he is still making dumb rookie mistakes. He won’t get any respect as long as he keeps doing that kind of thing, even though it was a preseason game, and it was called back on a penalty. 

Never mind the 50 other good throws he made before that one.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Bills are irrelevant until we start winning. 

Why does this not apply to other teams?

17 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

No love for Buffalo. All the ESPN experts picked the Jets to win outright. 

Wont change perceptions until they start winning. 

Funny how the Jets are in the same boat but people expect them to win without winning before.  Let's face it some teams get a major pass and the Jets are one.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Lev Bell if he is anything like his former self is the best RB between these teams at this stage of their careers by so far it isn't even funny. Robby Andersonis the best receiver between the two rosters too and Chris Herndon (not playing the first few weeks because of a ban admittedly) is a year ahead of a Dawson Knox or a Tommy Sweeney in terms of having been there and at least having some NFL level production. I think the Bills offensive line is better, I think our depth on offense is better too and the QBs for me are pretty much a wash at this stage. Based on their 2018 tape Darnold has the edge as a passer, Allen has the edge as a playmaker. Defensively is where I think the Bills are clearly better than the Jets. They have health and ability question marks at corner (though an excellent pair of safeties) and injury and coverage capacity questions at linebacker. Oh and coaching. We are better there too. I do think the Jets will have a decent year though. 

That is a huge if on Bell.  He has been out of the league for a year and he is supposed to be hot right off the bat?  Also is his line as good as Pittsburghs was?  Anderson is a good receiver and he might be the best of both rosters but I like the depth on the BIlls too

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Never mind the 50 other good throws he made before that one.

Why does this not apply to other teams?

Small market plus lack of winning = Irrelevent.  

Notice there’s never much analysis about Buffalo nationally but there is for Miami and New York?  It’s certainly not due to winning.  

Edited by SCBills

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Curious who these WGR guys might be?

I've said elsewhere, I'll say here: at this time of year, the media goes off last year's performance.  What else they got to go on? 

And last year the Jets scored the 23rd most points in the league.  The Bills, the 30th.

And the Jets added a solid slot-guy, two ex-pro-bowlers to their offensive line and one of the most productive running backs in the history of the game.  No guarantee that they are going to be any good but it's not a crazy position to take.

Edited by Bruce Harper

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

And the Jets added a solid slot-guy, two ex-pro-bowlers to their offensive line and the one of the most productive running backs in the history of the game.  No guarantee that they are going to be any good but it's not a crazy position to take.

Exactly.  #23 + additions seen as > #30 + additions

Time will tell, but objectively as a starting place, it's defensible. 

13 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

That is a huge if on Bell.  He has been out of the league for a year and he is supposed to be hot right off the bat?  Also is his line as good as Pittsburghs was?  Anderson is a good receiver and he might be the best of both rosters but I like the depth on the BIlls too

Not only that, but will Gase use him as effectively for his skills as he was used in Pittsburgh?

I haven't seen or heard it mentioned, but it's not impossible that the OC change from Todd Haley to Randy Fitchner played some role in Bell's holdout.

He may not be suited to every scheme

Gase as OC got good rushing results with CJ Anderson in Denver and with Matt Forte' in Chicago, then with Ajayi in Miami as HC, but the wheels fell off their rush game kind of quickly on his watch (9th his 1st year, 29th his second).  Now maybe that last was because of the QB situation - easier to smother the run when you're not worried about the pass threat -- but it was kind of puzzling to watch the Fins throw Ajayi out the window only to have him contribute to a SB win.

24 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Funny how the Jets are in the same boat but people expect them to win without winning before.  Let's face it some teams get a major pass and the Jets are one.

It is an if on Bell. But I think in terms of outsiders especially looking at it that is what they will look at.

Darnold looked like a better QB last year - Bell is better than our backfield - Their WRs are at least a push....  I can understand where the pundits are coming from.  We have a lot of new pieces that have to gel quickly.   Lets just hope that they're saying something different by our second meeting.