Wide Receiver / Diva

Divas, themselves, bore me to tears, but it fascinates me that we associate 'diva' with 'wide receiver'.

Does playing WR turn a man into a diva?  Or do natural born divas somehow gravitate towards wide receiver?

As a rabid Bills fan, but a casual fan of football at large, I don't keep track of all the melodrama in the NFL.  So I am sure there are divas at other positions in the league.  But the prominent ones -- T.O., A.B., O.B.J -- all play the same position.  Why is that?

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Blue on Blue said:

I prefer to avoid them like the plague.  When it was reported (for a few hours) that AB was coming to Buffalo, I was bummed out, actually sad/mad.  Buffalo just isn't a diva town, thank God.

Buffalo needs to get over the lunch pail, Blue collar mindset. A guy like AB would do wonders for their receiving core. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Blue on Blue said:

Divas, themselves, bore me to tears, but it fascinates me that we associate 'diva' with 'wide receiver'.

Does playing WR turn a man into a diva?  Or do natural born divas somehow gravitate towards wide receiver?

As a rabid Bills fan, but a casual fan of football at large, I don't keep track of all the melodrama in the NFL.  So I am sure there are divas at other positions in the league.  But the prominent ones -- T.O., A.B., O.B.J -- all play the same position.  Why is that?

i don't mind as long as they've actual DONE SOMETHING OUT THERE to justify even thinking of showboating

sure as heck hasn't happened in a Bills uniform since Moulds played

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Buffalo needs to get over the lunch pail, Blue collar mindset. A guy like AB would do wonders for their receiving core. 

Well he should be available. Only the Raiders could find a way to bring this nut job back into the fold. Guy may really have a screw loose and LOL - avoids Buffalo and still gets frostbite! Too much irony to believe! Helmet diva, issues in Pittsburgh, now physically strikes the GM! Thank baby Jesus that he did not become a Buffalo Bill.

Should be out of football and needs to seek medical help. 

4 minutes ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

Incredible talent + fan worship +media exposure divided by short career window.

Also consider your destiny is inexorably tied to your qb.

That is my theory. More than any other position on the team, their statistics and perceived value is dependent on others, so they develop a mentality of blaming other players for falling short of their often unrealistic expectations. This leads to a general mindset of blaming external forces and constantly stumping for their own greatness because they are prevented form showing it on the field due to other players ineptitude.

• Like (+1) 1

Apparently running backs are becoming divas now.

25 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Really? How is AB doing for the Raider's receiving core?

• Like (+1) 1

I think that WR's (and to an extent DBs) tend to be divas is because they are usually the fastest players on the team, the most athletic and have the most "quick twitch" ability.  They are the ones who make the acrobatic catches and catch the long bombs.  Chicks dig the long ball.  They are used to getting the most adoration and don't like to be out-shined by others.

As bad as some of these guys are, they are counterbalanced by the classy guys like Larry Fitzgerald.  Going back a few years, Jerry Rice - perhaps the greatest WR of all time - was a classy guy.  Our own HOF'er Andre Reed was also a class act.

Edited by msw2112

51 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I mean the blue collar stuff gets old but AB is a crazy person.  SJ has some flash but I think was an awesome Bill.  

And this is is where I bring up wanting to draft JuJu who seems to have the perfect attitude. But we traded up for Zay so it worked out. 

• Haha (+1) 2