How many times do you guys think the refs screw us?

I used to feel that we were getting screwed more than other teams because we are a small market team.  I don't believe that any more.

If I'm being objective, I feel that we haven't had as many bad calls against us in the last two years as we did before.  I think that well disciplined teams get the benefit of the doubt more than undisciplined teams. 

Here is an example of one against Jerry Hughes in 2014 who had a bad reputation for collecting unsportsmanlike 15-yard penalties:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/16/6985297/jerry-hughes-penalty-bills-patriots-2014

Hughes is tapping a teammate on the  head after a great defensive stand and the referee assumes that Hughes is tapping the head of the opponent.  It was a terrible call, but I think this was a case of confirmation bias, where the referee saw what he expected to see because of Jerry Hughes' reputation at the time.

Under McDermott, I see more discipline from our players on the field and (without any data to support my opinion) I feel that we are getting screwed by bad calls less frequently.

• Like (+1) 1

I would like to see an unbiased analysis of league wide controversial calls over the last 20-25 years, and see what percentage of the calls went in favor of the larger market team.

The ones that come to mind immediately seem to favor large over small.

Just curious.

I just want them to call New England for holding when its holding. Pay attention to patriot games and the difference in penalties. I guess they never hold on offense or defense, never have and illegal shift or line up wrong those are they two biggies that every team has happen except them. Not just against Buffalo but everyone.....Also Pittsburgh offensive line holds like nobodies business ...okay lets have a good year

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Infinity

And beyond...,

but hopefully less than we stew ourselves.

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

This crap starting even before one single snap?

they didn't grow up with a masculine influence of a dad or older brothers that would tell them to STFU!!!!!  about endless whining and complaining, best accompanied by a crumpled beer can hitting the little loser right in the forehead.

24 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

A pre-emptive getting screwed by the refs thread 3 days before the opener.

And I thought I'd seen everything on TBD.  

Wow.  

but more and more replay/review will solve all this....

:lol:

2 hours ago, Chill said:

Now with sport gambling legal, this league is as corrupt as ever. Small market teams will always get shafted.  Patriots favoritism is the worse, most obvious. 

NFL is entertainment, not a sport. 

Go put on your scarf and watch some soccer then. 

I mean...wtf?

You know what? I wanna write this off. I really do. Because I can't stand whining about officials and almost universally view the everyone against Buffalo narrative as garbage. But there's probably a kernel of truth here. I don't believe the NFL wants to see a team so thoroughly regarded as the most uninteresting franchise in the league succeed. I really believe that. So the idea that there would be a TINY bit of communication between the league and the officials to maybe tilt a few calls against us isn't that far fetched. 

The ESPN/national media stuff. Yeah. It's absurd. They have no vendetta against the Bills. They see as irrelevant. The league taking steps to assist the more attractive teams? I could see it. Irregardless(not a word), I don't believe they'd go so far as to blatantly alter the outcome, so if the Bills are good enough, it won't matter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Some fans of every team in every sport think refs screw THEIR team.

Reminds me of superstitious people.

Yeah, it's unusual to start a thread about it.  Usually we just accept that the refs are going to screw us more frequently and harder than our wives, and take the attitude of "That which is understood need not be discussed." 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Go put on your scarf and watch some soccer then. 

I mean...wtf?

Soccer? Please. No thanks. It’s time to see the light Weo. The league is corrupt and is growing more by the year. 

I still enjoy the entertainment, but this show is no longer about skill.