OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How on earth did Mayock figure he would be a GM? The guy makes Mack drafts for a living.  Even Mel, a huge blowhard, isn’t delusional enough to believe he could be an NFL exec.  He knows how incredibly sweet the deal he and Mayock had. 

Mayock could not have F’d this up any worse.

You mean by trading for this cancer?

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hear you, my point is for all we know, maybe Mayock did try.   He said in the helmet ultimatum that they supported Brown's appeal to the league.  Maybe he tried to have AB's back and tried to be personable all spring, and that public ultimatum was the expression of 'we had your back, we supported you through your league appeals, now they're over and you're still not here' frustration.

Or maybe not.  It's just we saw the tip of the iceburg in the press conference and the letter, but how big the attempts to work with AB below the surface were, only Oak insiders know.

I believe that what has hardened Mayock is that although the team supported AB in his helmet saga that most people knew he wasn't going to win against the league he continued to not show up while his team practiced. (As you pointed out.) Although the helmet issue was still being contested by the player he wasn't working out on the field while his teammates were practicing. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the team was attempting to work with him on his issues throughout the camp much more than what we are aware of. (Again, as you point out.) There is no question that the team gambled on a volatile player who walked out on his prior team. Now what Gruden and Mayock have to decide is whether this zany personality is salvageable. If they don't believe so I think that they will act sooner rather than later to dispatch him and recoup most of the money that they foolishly gambled on him. 

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think you'll find that it is very rare for GMs to take a personable approach with players. That is the Head Coach's job.

The Head Coach leads the team and has to be in with the players.

The GM thinks about what's best for the franchise, cuts guys, and negotiates contracts. They deal with Agents more than Players. It's better to stay at arm's length and all about business.

Good cop/Bad cop. Mom/Dad.

Right. It's amazing to me that people just assume that the HC and GM are acting independently of each other here. Since Gruden wanted Mayock isn't it likely that the handling of AB was something they agreed upon?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yep.  Meaning little to no guaranteed money.

Hardly the point doc.  He would be on the roster now...

But your suggestion that Beane would have offered “little to no guaranteed money” is typical of your delusion

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How on earth did Mayock figure he would be a GM? The guy makes Mack drafts for a living.  Even Mel, a huge blowhard, isn’t delusional enough to believe he could be an NFL exec.  He knows how incredibly sweet the deal he and Mayock had. 

Mayock could not have F’d this up any worse.

It could have been a lot worse.  Mayock only gave AB a $1M signing bonus.  Imagine if he’d handed him a $10M or $20M check.  

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hardly the point doc.  He would be on the roster now...

But your suggestion that Beane would have offered “little to no guaranteed money” is typical of your delusion

Sure it's the point.  It makes it easier to get rid of him if he causes problems.  Like I told you he would.  I didn't think he would/could derail this quickly but he might have done the Raiders a favor in doing so.

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

It could have been a lot worse.  Mayock only gave AB a $1M signing bonus.  Imagine if he’d handed him a $10M or $20M check.  

Getting into a shouting match at this point is proof positive that Mayock is a speech impediment doofus

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sure it's the point.  It makes it easier to get rid of him if he causes problems.  Like I told you he would.  I didn't think he would/could derail this quickly but he might have done the Raiders a favor in doing so.

Serious question: you really think Beanes plan was to offer little or no guaranteed money?  I know your trying to splash a point, but that makes no sense.  What top vet doesn’t get lots of guaranteed money.

Youre making no sense at all now

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Serious question: you really think Beanes plan was to offer little or no guaranteed money?  I know your trying to splash a point, but that makes no sense.  What top vet doesn’t get lots of guaranteed money.

Youre making no sense at all now

I realize you're (vainly) trying to make yourself feel better about banging the drum loud and hard for the Bills to get this cancer by saying Beane would have made the same mistake Mayock and Gruden did, but he didn't.  I'm sure what he pulled in Pgh and wanted some protection.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I realize you're (vainly) trying to make yourself feel better about banging the drum loud and hard for the Bills to get this cancer by saying Beane would have made the same mistake Mayock and Gruden did, but he didn't.  I'm sure what he pulled in Pgh and wanted some protection.

Lol you know I never did that.  

Just answer the simple question doc...

Edited by Mr. WEO

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

They already decided to employ him and commit heavily to two seasons with him. 

Once youve made that decision you have to figure out how to maximize. I’m sorry but few of our day to day jobs come with an office that shares a guy getting $30m guaranteed so I don’t think standard issue HR stuff translates apples to apples. 

But if your top sales person brought in ten times the second best and the majority of your revenue he probably gets to make his own hours. Especially if you hired him from the competition for a huge contract knowing he came in late and liked to golf on Friday afternoon. If you want to write him up for that and withhold commissions you probably shouldn’t have brought him on in the first place 

Just now, Doc said:

LOL!  Talk about delusion.

Come on doc. Name a single contract where arguably the best player at his position (or top 2/3) was  offered “little to no guaranteed money”.

Should be very very easy for you.  Tell us all!

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Come on doc. Name a single contract where arguably the best player at his position (or top 2/3) was  offered “little to no guaranteed money”.

Should be very very easy for you.  Tell us all!

Beane merely inquired.  No harm in asking.  He wasn't game so Beane didn't trade for him.