OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

10 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I feel the same, but also don’t think these distractions would have changed out W-L at all. All this stuff is embarrassing but it doesn’t change the on-field product one bit. 

Talking about it in the office doesn’t change the gameplan or execution. We are talking about world class athletes performing against each other not data entry. 

Steelers gave him away so cheap for the same reason SEA got Clowney so cheap. He told his agent he wouldn’t play just anywhere. Just my opinion, but I’m guessing he wanted to go somewhere warm. 

Teams  probably  were. You only hear about the deals that were agreed to like BUF and OAK. 

Personal grudges? Idk every situation is different. No one seemed to care when Bruce Smith didn’t feel like practicing. 

Yep, and I’m saying their effect on the outcome of games is severely overrated.

Even last year when he didn’t show up for the last game it was indefensible, but he scored 15TD in the other 15 games so was he a positive overall?

Wait, Buffalo had an agreed to deal for AB?  I think that's news to the Beane.

• Like (+1) 6

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The best WR in football that is a huge distraction and tears apart your team.  Would be pretty stupid to want that on your team.

Not really.

Is it worth looking into betting a couple of mid-round picks on the best WR in football continuing to play the way he has for 7 straight years?

Yep.  In fact, it's utterly negligent not to do so when you have a total dearth of talent at the position and a young QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn’t say not to hold him responsible, I said how he handled the relationship with AB.  You guys can’t seem to separate the difference in holding someone accountable and how you go about holding someone accountable.  

I have literally explained my reasoning at least 10 times now and everyone keeps replying with the same comments that aren’t even what I am saying.

Mayock took a hard line stance with a diva player.  Never going to work with a guy like Brown.  AB doesn’t respond well if he doesn’t feel like he can trust someone like Mayock or if he feels disrespected.  As a GM, you have to understand that and taking those comments in August to the media was a big mistake by Mayock.  He shound have kept it private and talked to AB man to man only.  He could have sat AB down man to man and discussed their stance in the fines instead of sending him a letter too.

It’s  just my opinion, but I called this when Mayock made those comments in august that he was going to lose the trust of AB and something small was gonna set up a blowout.  

And I honestly don’t care at all about the Raiders, AB, etc.  But also just trying to respect posters here and respond but now it’s too much to keep up with.  My simple opinion is that Mayock handled AB poorly and while AB is obviously to blame, Mayock also hasn’t helped the situation and contributed to turbulent relationship with AB.

And, why is it only Mayock has a bad relationship with AB?  I mean no one else on the Raiders has this bad relationship with him.  All his coaches and trainers seem to love him and players have all seem to have taken to him too.

I appreciate what you are saying-that Mayock could have handled it differently. But if you want to run with that as an idea you have to project the consequence of going down that road. Imagine if every thing that AB had done was met with a shrug of the shoulders. What message does that send? Over time if left unchecked everyone in that organisation will be rightly asking why there are no limitations on this individual.

So right now he would be set to play on Monday. Instead, they drew a line in the sand and dared him to cross it which he did. We have no idea how Gruden feels about this-on Hard Knocks he was right there with AB wanting him on the pitch. But did he have a choice with that guaranteed money? Now you have a situation where because Mayock made a stand the Raiders may be able to cut him without a cap penalty. Granted you lose an elite WR. But perhaps after everything that has happened this may now be an acceptable outcome for Gruden.

If your starting point is do whatever it takes to get AB on the field then yes it could have been handled differently. If however, Mayock was not acting alone and was in fact making these moves after consultation with JG then maybe they've played their cards very wisely....

Edited by Seoulofstone

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I would take him right now for cheap.

Think about it, there’s not really much time for him to fight Beane before the season starts. 

If he’s traded for can he be cut without any penalties?

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

I appreciate what you are saying-that Mayock could have handled it differently. But if you want to run with that as an idea you have to project the consequence of going down that road. Imagine if every thing that AB had done was met with a shrug of the shoulders. What message does that send? Over time if left unchecked everyone in that organisation will be rightly asking why there are no limitations on this individual.

So right now he would be set to play on Monday. Instead, they drew a line in the sand and dared him to cross it which he did. We have no idea how Gruden feels about this-on Hard Knocks he was right there with AB wanting him on the pitch. But did he have a choice with that guaranteed money? Now you have a situation where because Mayock made a stand the Raiders may be able to cut him without a cap penalty. Granted you lose an elite WR. But perhaps after everything that has happened this may now be an acceptable outcome for Gruden.

Again, you missed my point.  Did not say to shrug shoulders or not hold him accountable.  I talked about how Mayock has handled the relationship and handled holding him accountable.

so burfict was brought in to be mayocks security guard? hes posted in front of the office with a walky talky! lol

i originally thought this was a ploy to get a new contract. after he got it and took unneccessary shots at juju the guy who starched burfict out on his behalf, it became clear hes losing his mind. 

fig the fireworks would fly if/when the losing starts. their is way too much kindeling under this. if the team starts losing or AB doesnt get his touches its going to really burn. if the raiders are smart you extinguish this before it starts...they wont, and it will be glorious!

Edited by Buffarukus

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Not getting into this again, but yeah. Swap of 1st round picks was the rumored deal. 

And according to Beane, they had talks, but never agreed:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/03/brandon-beane-in-the-end-antonio-brown-trade-didnt-make-sense-for-bills-steeler.html

I kind of tend to believe the Beaner on this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

This right here is why I always laugh when Schopp says culture doesn't matter and only talent matters.

It appears schoop has always been wrong...

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, you missed my point.  Did not say to shrug shoulders or not hold him accountable.  I talked about how Mayock has handled the relationship and handled holding him accountable.

No didn't miss your point. I neither quoted you nor attributed it to you. Sorry if that was insinuated.

I broke it down as two options. A ignore it (shrug shoulders). B Deal with it behind closed doors. So if he does all the same actions behind closed doors AB won't be upset? Can you be sure of that? Can the Raiders still cut AB?

This is conjecture, but I would guess that he still makes a fuss but he sells it as the Raiders trying to discipline him behind closed doors. The reality is that any conjecture about other solutions is just that. AB is a reactionary ego who thinks hes in the right and is unafraid to stand up for himself. No matter how you handle him he could perceive it a slight.

Edited by Seoulofstone

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The team went 9-6-1 and missed the playoffs.    Juju had 111 receptions 1426 yards and 7 touchdowns.  The mistake Brown is making is in thinking his talent eclipses the team.

He didnt score 15 touchdowns he caught them.   Someone will step in and take his place.   Its what happens when you play with great quarterbacks.  See Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, and Mike Wallace.   Wideouts were catching 10 plus touchdowns before AB in that offense, and they will do it after.   Meanwhile the end for AB is getting closer and closer.

One of the reason I don’t want to see AB suspended is because I’d love to see him realize the difference between BR and DC at quarterback. BR is one of the best ever at extending plays while allowing his receivers five seconds to get open (which no DB on the planet can prevent) and then finding them. David Carr?  Not so much. 

• Like (+1) 1