What games in Rich/RWS Stadium history did the fans storm the field?

LabattBlue

Does anyone with a better memory than me recall the games where the fans stormed the field after a game at Rich/RWS?  I'm not talking about games with the isolated handful of fans.  Instead I'm referring to the games where fans swarmed onto the field as the final gun sounded.  I was at the 1980 game against Miami, but other than that I'm sure there were at least a couple others.  Maybe during the 1st SB season?

Thx!

Beat Miami in 1990:        https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-12-24-sp-5212-story.html

Jets in 1988

Image result for "buffalo bills" tear down goalposts miami 1990

September 1980 (snapped 27 game losing streak vs. Miami)

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/local_news/the-day-they-got-the-buffalo-bills-goalposts/article_4e9d9af7-b883-5de1-80ee-36c7400ee976.html

The day they got the Bills' goalposts

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BarkLessWagMore said:

In 1988 against the Jets when we cliched the division. I believe we won in OT 6-3. Fred Smerlas blocked a FG attempt and then we won it. That is where the famous photo of the fans storming the field on the "Fandemonium" poster came from.

100% Correct. My dad and I were going crazy when Smerlas made that block. Bills ended up losing to The Bengals in the AFC Championship game. That damn "Icky Shuffle" dance killed us. But The 49ers beat them in the Superbowl 20-16. Jerry Rice was a god in that game, hence the MVP.

• Like (+1) 1

Fred Smerlas blocking that kick was a real turning point for me as a long time fan. We went nuts watching that on TV. I just knew we were going to win that game after that and it springboarded us onto years of success even though we didn't win the big one.

I believe (if I have my dates correct) we also stormed the field and tore down both goalposts in December of 1990 after defeating Miami. The key was that the win clinched home field advantage through the playoffs. I (both shamefully and proudly) had my hands on both goalposts as they came down.

The fans remaining in the stands then passed one set of goalposts up to the owners box a a "gift" to Ralph Wilson. The network carrying the national late game periodically cut back to the stadium to track the progress of the goal post's journey. My single happiest day as a Bills fan. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i was at that game.....part of the goal post upright , was carried up the lower bowl steps and tossed over the side.....thought for sure someone was gonna get killed.

I remember that well, and thought the same thing--look out below!    Crazy how people brought hacksaws to the game (times sure have changed :lol:)

Do you remember when they put a ring of police around the field to keep fans from doing it again a few years later.    Funny stuff...

24 minutes ago, BarkLessWagMore said:

In 1988 against the Jets when we cliched the division. I believe we won in OT 6-3. Fred Smerlas blocked a FG attempt and then we won it. That is where the famous photo of the fans storming the field on the "Fandemonium" poster came from.

This was my first game attending in person.  I came in a Jets fan (born in NYC) and left a Bills fan.  My dad took me and my uncle, although if I remember correctly we left my uncle behind in the commotion.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

I believe (if I have my dates correct) we also stormed the field and tore down both goalposts in December of 1990 after defeating Miami. The key was that the win clinched home field advantage through the playoffs. I (both shamefully and proudly) had my hands on both goalposts as they came down.

The fans remaining in the stands then passed one set of goalposts up to the owners box a a "gift" to Ralph Wilson. The network carrying the national late game periodically cut back to the stadium to track the progress of the goal post's journey. My single happiest day as a Bills fan. 

Yes, I was in the stands in front of Mr Wilson's box, and, one of the goal posts did make its way up to him.  He grastiously accepted the gift. :)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i was at that game.....part of the goal post upright , was carried up the lower bowl steps and tossed over the side.....thought for sure someone was gonna get killed.

What I remember most about that scene was when I jumped down (no small jump!) on to the field and ended up next to Dan Marino. My first thought was, "Holy crap, he's huge!". Then, I ran like hell out onto the field.

• Like (+1) 1

What kind of punkazz, snot nosed whippersnapper thread is this?!? What? Rockpile doesn’t mean anything to you? You weren’t even a gleam in your Daddy’s eye? This is Age Discrimination in its ugliest form! Did the Bills NOT play 2 -TWO!! title games within the glorious confines of War Memorial Stadium? Did we who attended NOT rush the field with the thrill of CHAMPIONS!! 

Finally beating a Division foe who beat the hell out of us for 20 straight games? Pfffft! Yeah, THATs something to cheer about!..?

An OT FG for a Division title with 4 games left to play in the regular season? Oh Joy!! Rapture!! Pffffffffffft...

Overcoming an early deficit against the highly favored best team to win a WORLDS CHAMPIONSHIP before our very eyes?? Now THAT rates carrying our QB off on our shoulders into football immortality!

Punks!?

496CE2FB-DC26-4E1E-8E15-E0B828A7A9FE.jpeg

FEFB5772-BCA6-4871-A3D5-63E51F5F729E.jpeg

8EBEBD6D-0662-4483-A3BE-23F7E1784365.jpeg

A315D576-C2D4-4A5C-9569-13802554678C.jpeg

EB87C27B-A490-45A0-8D52-8E3F4FD91CEA.jpeg

B051DC24-EA6E-4855-9B3C-85646B9289D8.jpeg

C822CF02-B5D9-465D-AA92-764607E97B73.png

2EA03884-43FD-4396-A793-02903CDC7BC6.png

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, papazoid said:

I was going to say the exact same thing - I remember the piece being passed up to the owners box - then when they tossed the other piece over the side I was like holy crap someone's going to get killed.

That video is awesome though - really captures the excitement that day.  Kudos to that dude in the yellow too who single-handedly got up on the GP then over on the side to jump up and down to start the process of bringing it down. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was at the 1990 game against the Dolphins. My first game ever attended. I was 12 years old. That whole week leading up to the game was full of tension. Miami clobbered Buffalo the first game, Kelly was out injured, the weather held out just long enough for the game, etc. The whole field was surrounded with security at the end of the game, but it wasn’t enough to keep the fans off the field. 

This could all happen again IF they keep jacking the price of beer up!

24 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I was going to say the exact same thing - I remember the piece being passed up to the owners box - then when they tossed the other piece over the side I was like holy crap someone's going to get killed.

That video is awesome though - really captures the excitement that day.  Kudos to that dude in the yellow too who single-handedly got up on the GP then over on the side to jump up and down to start the process of bringing it down. 

Nobody got killed but they did come real close to the kid "watching my car."

1 hour ago, BarkLessWagMore said:

I was one of the drunken idiots on the field

2 hours ago, Marv Levy said:

100% Correct. My dad and I were going crazy when Smerlas made that block. Bills ended up losing to The Bengals in the AFC Championship game. That damn "Icky Shuffle" dance killed us. But The 49ers beat them in the Superbowl 20-16. Jerry Rice was a god in that game, hence the MVP.

My Dad also took me to this game! Great memory and the point when I became a bills fan for life. 

• Like (+1) 1