Should Barkley be the holder on kicks?

Albany,n.y.

Back in the day, the second string QB was always the holder.  I guess the risk of injury changed that....I don't know the thinking.  The second string QB as holder makes the threat of a fake/pass more viable for sure.   I do wish the Bills had a 3rd QB ready on the practice squad, and I blame McBean for not having that guy in camp. (as TJ turns out not to be that guy)  Or maybe McBean figure he will be available if they need to sign him off somebody elses PS.

Just now, bigK14094 said:

Back in the day, the second string QB was always the holder.  I guess the risk of injury changed that....I don't know the thinking.  The second string QB as holder makes the threat of a fake/pass more viable for sure.   I do wish the Bills had a 3rd QB ready on the practice squad, and I blame McBean for not having that guy in camp. (as TJ turns out not to be that guy)  Or maybe McBean figure he will be available if they need to sign him off somebody elses PS.

Did you miss the Davis Webb signing?

Davis Webb was in the Jets camp, and is not ready to run the Bills O........"ready" being the operative consideration here.   I don't like the Bills putting out a QB with   11 days with the team....like they did with Barkley last year.  Yes,Barkley led them to a win over the hopelessly inept Jets.  But, a better team would have taken advantage of the fact the Barkley only knew a fraction of the playbook, and didn't even know all the receivers by name.

7 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Davis Webb was in the Jets camp, and is not ready to run the Bills O........"ready" being the operative consideration here.   I don't like the Bills putting out a QB with   11 days with the team....like they did with Barkley last year.  Yes,Barkley led them to a win over the hopelessly inept Jets.  But, a better team would have taken advantage of the fact the Barkley only knew a fraction of the playbook, and didn't even know all the receivers by name.

True.  But in any case, if the Bills are down to their 3rd string QB, the season is over anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

34 makes a good point.   One idiot is all it takes to hammer the holder   

Wouldn't the same risk apply to the punter?  Losing your only punter during a game could easily cost you a game as well.

4 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Ive heard the injury risk given. However, how often do holders really get hurt? I can’t remember one all of last season. Barkley is far more likely to be hurt in practice than in a game as a holder. That being said, practice is really the reason why Barkley cannot be the holder. During practice he has more important things to work on than holding the ball for Hauschka. 

Frank R. seemed to handle both very well.  

4 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Yeah, sure- 2 QB’s on the active roster- sounds like a wonderful idea.

What happens if Allen needs to take a play off or hopefully not but he cannot finish game?

There usually ARE 2 QBs active.

3 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

This is interesting. Then you also have a guy athletic enough to possibly make something happen on a broken kick as well. 

We haven't had one since Moorman.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I hate that it's 3 days before kickoff and we're still talking about punters and holders. I just want it figured out.

I love it. Usually we are fretting about the starting QB by this point.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This may be waaaaaaaay out there, but has anyone thought that Barkley just may not be good at holding?

Myself personally, QB's get more reps handling snaps then any other position.

If Barkleys not good at holding practice makes perfect.

To me , It adds more wrinkles the opposition has to gameplan against so why not.

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I am almost always in favor of the holder being a WR.  I want a guy back there that is used to catching the ball at different levels.

The ideal guy, for me, would be a WR that is also a special teams player, since he would be practicing with the ST unit most of the time anyway.

So, I submit that the best holder for this team, this year, would be Andre Roberts.

This is a Brilliant idea IMO. Defense has to cover a jet sweep fake FG every time. 

Why doesn’t any NFL team do this? 

I cant image this needs that many practice reps.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

What happens if Allen needs to take a play off or hopefully not but he cannot finish game?

There usually ARE 2 QBs active.

We haven't had one since Moorman.

I understand what everyones is saying- we could debate this back and forth until the cows come home lol.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Its not unheard of Gugny, I am just not a fan of it. Different view thats all.

Off topic slightly.  In last year's first game vs Jets at Meadowlands, Bills pulled off a successful fake punt using the up back (Logan Thomas former college QB) throwing to Foster lined up as a gunner.  Hope they duplicate capability using Knox as up back and Foster as a gunner this year too.

Edited by freddyjj

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes Reich was the holder, this isn't 1993 however, things have changed.  How many teams today use backup QB's as holders?  Don't think many do anymore.   The issue as has been pointed out, Barkley then would lose QB practice time and would become disruptive having to leave drills, whatever they are doing to work with the kicker.  In 1993 was easy for Marv to tell Frank, you need to stay an extra hour to work with the kickers.  Today, that violates the CBA.

Marv also used John Kidd prior to 1990.  Reich held that yer when Rick "Bootin" Tuten was the punter.  When Chris Mohr came in as P in 1991 he eventually became holder for Christie - not sure if it was after Reich left or not.

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since Borjoquez is on very thin ice, we could have another season of musical chairs at the P position.  Why keep switching holders when the backup QB can provide stability there?   Years ago the backup QBs were the holders.  Frank Reich did it for years.  Doesn't it make more sense for the holder to be someone with a secure roster spot that the kicking unit can get used to having around?  

I agree 100%. Why did this change

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Marv also used John Kidd prior to 1990.  Reich held that yer when Rick "Bootin" Tuten was the punter.  When Chris Mohr came in as P in 1991 he eventually became holder for Christie - not sure if it was after Reich left or not.

It's fine for a punter to be the holder when you know the punter (unless he's injured) is going to be there all year.  When you're trying out new punters at the beginning of the week the season starts, you might not want to have the punter holding kicks.  Last year the Bills had 3 different punters/holders & Haushka started to miss kicks he's made his whole career.  I don't care who is holding, but I'd prefer 1 holder for the entire season & unless his game gets better, Bojorquez is going to be off the team by October at the latest.  I still believe unless he has a great game he's gone by next Tuesday.  Kidd was a fixture for years, it made perfect sense for him to hold & when Mohr had a lock on the punter's job he made a lot of sense too.  In 1990 the Bills punting job was in flux.  They started the season with John Nies & brought back Tuten, who they had cut after preseason, after the season's 1st two games and relegated Nies to kickoffs before cutting him after 4 games.  That season it made more sense for someone other than the punter to hold, just like this season where Bojorquez is on a John Nies path.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

As Ed posted above, the reason almost no teams use the 2nd QB to hold for kicks anymore is the CBA strictly limits how long practices can run and the teams want the backup QB in the limited practice time they have working with the offense, rather than the special teams guys.