Should Barkley be the holder on kicks?

Albany,n.y.

Since Borjoquez is on very thin ice, we could have another season of musical chairs at the P position.  Why keep switching holders when the backup QB can provide stability there?   Years ago the backup QBs were the holders.  Frank Reich did it for years.  Doesn't it make more sense for the holder to be someone with a secure roster spot that the kicking unit can get used to having around?  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Yeah, sure- 2 QB’s on the active roster- sounds like a wonderful idea.

Dont really see why that would be an issue?  I think the argument against is that it takes time away from the QB practice time, but injuries on kicks to the holder are virtually no existent. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Ive heard the injury risk given. However, how often do holders really get hurt? I can’t remember one all of last season. Barkley is far more likely to be hurt in practice than in a game as a holder. That being said, practice is really the reason why Barkley cannot be the holder. During practice he has more important things to work on than holding the ball for Hauschka. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Ive heard the injury risk given. However, how often do holders really get hurt? I can’t remember one all of last season. Barkley is far more likely to be hurt in practice than in a game as a holder. That being said, practice is really the reason why Barkley cannot be the holder. During practice he has more important things to work on than holding the ball for Hauschka. 

I understand where you are coming from. Even thou history shows risk is minimal, it just isn’t worth taking. Also, How many punts is B doing in practice. You have to save the leg so at that point you roll into FG/extra point mode or vise versa.

34 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since Borjoquez is on very thin ice, we could have another season of musical chairs at the P position.  Why keep switching holders when the backup QB can provide stability there?   Years ago the backup QBs were the holders.  Frank Reich did it for years.  Doesn't it make more sense for the holder to be someone with a secure roster spot that the kicking unit can get used to having around?  

32 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

34 makes a good point.   One idiot is all it takes to hammer the holder   

I am almost always in favor of the holder being a WR.  I want a guy back there that is used to catching the ball at different levels.

The ideal guy, for me, would be a WR that is also a special teams player, since he would be practicing with the ST unit most of the time anyway.

So, I submit that the best holder for this team, this year, would be Andre Roberts.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I am almost always in favor of the holder being a WR.  I want a guy back there that is used to catching the ball at different levels.

The ideal guy, for me, would be a WR that is also a special teams player, since he would be practicing with the ST unit most of the time anyway.

So, I submit that the best holder for this team, this year, would be Andre Roberts.

preferably one that used to be a former QB.      

30 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

This is interesting. Then you also have a guy athletic enough to possibly make something happen on a broken kick as well.