Practice Squads Rules

This may have been explained in a different topic but I would like to learn this: If another team wants one of our PS players, I believe they must put them on their 53(Hope I'm right on that). Would the Bills be able to stop this transaction by immediately putting their guy on the 53 or is their no recourse for the them ? Thanks guys/gals

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

The rule changed a few years back.  There's no longer a right of first refusal to elevate a PS player to the active squad, if that player is offered a contract to join another team's full roster.   The player can choose the team.  That player cannot move from PS to another PS, though.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

This may have been explained in a different topic but I would like to learn this: If another team wants one of our PS players, I believe they must put them on their 53(Hope I'm right on that). Would the Bills be able to stop this transaction by immediately putting their guy on the 53 or is their no recourse for the them ? Thanks guys/gals

Yes you could elevate him. You could pay him more on the PS as well players can make the choice to stay on the PS instead of signing with the other teams as well. 

Except when it comes to Wade he has different rules at this point. Being he is Bills Property the entire season another team can not touch him. 

Edited by MAJBobby

20 hours ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Oh Lordy.  Practice squad rules make my head hurt.

OK let's do it. 

1) The other team must sign the PS player they "poach" to the 53-man AND keep him there for 3 weeks.

2) We have the right to match the offer by signing the guy to our 53-man (I believe in that case, we must also keep him there 3 weeks)

BUT

This isn't like a trade or waivers where the player has no choice.  The player may look at the other team's offer to the 53-man roster and say "I'm Good, Thanks.  Imma stay here on the PS".  And players have done this.

It may help that there is no cap on what a team can pay its PS players.  NE historically pays its PS considerably more, including up to or over NFL minimum.