Keep sleeping on Smoke Brown

Wayne Arnold

20 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Last year Allen was faced with throwing the ball to possession guys who couldn't/don't separate well. I liked the signing because In limited reps I see Allen having some chemistry with Brown.

The concern has to be how defenses will cover Brown.  He's going to get plenty of coverage rolled his way and that will require someone to step up on the other side.  Beasley will get some looks but someone needs to establish themselves in the longer distance situations.  It'd be nice for one of the TE's to be that target, but odds are that won't happen.  

Precisely the reason to play Foster over Zay. 

43 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The stats speak loudly for themselves. To deny them at this point is silly.

He’s always been a boom or bust type player.  I’ve had him and dropped him like 15 times.  Hard to be a consistent threat at that size.  But he will be huge once we get a real number 1.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowJo02/gamelog/2015/

• Like (+1) 1

I just feel that John Brown will do well this year. I would imagine he is on a mission to prove himself with a new team and QB. He is going to experience and respond to the energy at New Era. Brown may not be the ideal number 1 receiver in the long haul, but he will do his best to pull it off.

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'm most excited to see him and foster on the outsides together and praying that's a base receiver set. i'm assuming and also hoping to see a lot of 4 wide.

How about Brown and Foster on the same  side running deep to the corner.

Josh just needs to overthrow the corner and one of them will go get it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I agree, so long as Foster is healed enough with that turf toe.  He gives them a capability Jones never will.  

some might say they are just different players , foster and Zay. If Bills have kept jones ? one must think he has a fit... we shall find out soon enough

Brown is uniquely skilled. and brings great value to the Bills.
is he a vaunted #1 ? don't care. not even sure the meaning at this point .

Can he produce when called upon ? i bet yes.
If Josh loves him , i love him too.

Go Bills

On 9/4/2019 at 8:51 PM, NoSaint said:

Browns been inconsistent but at times excellent. 

Ill say say I think blaming Jackson is unfair as he had multiple rough outings to end with flacco... though Flacco obviously wasn’t stellar or he’d have that job still.

If brown is healthy all year and allen steps up- we could have a good pair. I’m more excited about their potential than the beasley addition even though it seems to get a bit less attention 

I don't this is quite fair.  In Flacco's final start, Brown was targeted 6 times (3 catches for 15 yds) but he also was the beneficiary of a DPI call on Pittsburgh on a bomb that moved the Ravens 33 yards down the field.  In the second final start (v. Carolina), he had 7 targets, 3 catches, and 28 yards, but in the start before that (v. New Orleans), he was targeted 7 times and had 7 receptions for 134 yards and 1 TD.  As you well know, NFL receiver production is very spiky from game to game. Basically, he was targeted 7 times in all three of these games, and if you treat the PI as a completion, he caught 14 of 21 balls thrown his way for 210 yards (10 yards per attempt). That also averages out to 1120 yards per season.

In the game before the NO game, he had only 2 receptions for 28 yards, but it's also the case that the Ravens completely dominated the game from the outset and won 21-0 (vs. Tennessee).

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that ALL of his decline last year can be attributed to Jackson. Forget for about about the small number of passing plays the Ravens were running; Jackson threw 31 passes his way, and only 8 resulted in completions. 

Edited by dave mcbride

On 9/5/2019 at 6:30 PM, BullBuchanan said:

I'll be positively floored if he breaks 750 yards and 6 TDs

Only need 4 or 5 more games like today to have you sufficiently floored then.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:35 PM, Nester said:

Starting him in my Pool this week, only 5% of owners are,

Viva la 5%!

I think you did fairly well for yourself.  Can never complain about 100+ yards and a TD in fantasy.  I mean it was no Watkins day, but still.

• Like (+1) 1