Keep sleeping on Smoke Brown

Wayne Arnold

1 hour ago, MikeSpeed said:

You don't sleep on smoke, you stop drop and roll.

I do not have a lot of faith in him though. His career has been spotty, and his best years were with Carson Palmer. He hasn't really elevated the meh QBs he's been with, and right now, without really knowing what Josh is going to be like in his 2nd season, you cannot expect Brown to be anything more than an average WR.

I hope I'm completely wrong and he puts up 1500 yards and 16 TDs.

Let's put a bit of perspective here.  The "meh" QB's he's been with were Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert.  I don't think you could elevate either of them with a pair of stilts or even a crane.  But Brown's main issue those years was dealing with injuries that were mishandled given his sickle cell trait and/or misdiagnosed.  He did very well with "meh" QB Flacco.  His main problem with Jackson was very few targets, and those that did target were off.

I don't think Brown will be "average", because he's never been "average".  He's been good (as in 2015 and early 2018) or basically invisible (when injured).  If he stays healthy, he'll contribute well.

13 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No one talks about the guy and how much of an impact he can have on this team.

He was a rising star during his first two seasons in the league. He helped the Cardinals win the NFC West on their way to the AFC Championship game in 2015, aiding Carson Palmer to a near-MVP season.

Image result for john brown dance gif

Coaches called him a Marvin Harrison clone.

Don't take it from me. Ask the guy who drafted him and coached him all four seasons in Arizona, Bruce Arians...

A spinal cyst resulted in two injury-plagued seasons with the Cardinals in 2016 and 2017. That combined with poor quarterback play brought his numbers way down.

Then he was one of the league leaders in receiving yards about halfway through the 2018 season with the Ravens before they switched to a run-option offense with Lamar Jackson.

Could Smoke Brown become Josh Allen's Marvin Harrison?

Ya got me, OP. I am sleeping on him. -well, not literally.. Small with a rep (true or not) of undisciplined route running who’s all too often injured is the narrative. For me, and likely many others, he offers back up health insurance should Foster break down. Josh’s arm and respectful deep coverage are essential for us. Anything more is fantastic! I’m hoping for a fantastic season! jmo.

I think most people like Brown.  Personally, I just think he’s a better player as a complimentary receiver.  He is the guy that will be picked and dropped the most in fantasy leagues, as he is every year.  Because of his size, he struggles to be consistent.  He will have a good game and then disappear for the next one.

our receiver core will be nasty once we get a true number 1 and a new TE if one of this young guys don’t step up.  Still plenty of room for improvement in terms of weapons, 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Point flew right by you if you think that’s what I was trying to say.

4 of his last 5 with Flacco were not particularly good and his last two were 6 catches for 43 yards as a combined total. A lot of people seem to quickly point at the qb change, or scheme change if you want to be argumentative over a point I dont much care about.

My point is he’s been a streaky player and he had a really hot start to the season and trailed off over a month prior to the switch, minus 1 game. 

There is a reason why Baltimore switched from Flacco to Jackson at QB, and it isn't that Flacco was lighting it up in the passing game.

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think most people like Brown.  Personally, I just think he’s a better player as a complimentary receiver.  He is the guy that will be picked and dropped the most in fantasy leagues, as he is every year.  Because of his size, he struggles to be consistent.  He will have a good game and then disappear for the next one.

our receiver core will be nasty once we get a true number 1 and a new TE if one of this young guys don’t step up.  Still plenty of room for improvement in terms of weapons, 

Agreed...it is kind of the consensus. He will have "to do" for now until we get a true No.1 Lets try to support him during his rendition.

3 hours ago, MikeSpeed said:

You don't sleep on smoke, you stop drop and roll.

I do not have a lot of faith in him though. His career has been spotty, and his best years were with Carson Palmer. He hasn't really elevated the meh QBs he's been with, and right now, without really knowing what Josh is going to be like in his 2nd season, you cannot expect Brown to be anything more than an average WR.

I hope I'm completely wrong and he puts up 1500 yards and 16 TDs.

Was playing very well with Flacco last year before Flacco went down.

So.....this really is not true.

1 hour ago, Iron Maiden said:

Brown was a great addition to our roster...no doubt about it.....I still think however that Beasley was the best off season move made this year on offense.....getting pumped for the season !!

Brown - big play

Cole - steady play

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There is a reason why Baltimore switched from Flacco to Jackson at QB, and it isn't that Flacco was lighting it up in the passing game.

I mean i did acknowledge that, just think it’s lazy of a lot of reporters to simply say his pace fell when the change was made and characterize it as him otherwise being on track for a huge year. 

43 yards in 8 quarters is 10% of Flacco’s passing yards there. For a sometimes streaky player I think it’s fair to acknowledge that he was hot and cold even before the switch. Hopefully we get a full season of his September and I’m optimistic on him. 

16 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Who is sleeping on him? Love these posts, implying that we’re all ignoramuses and don’t do our homework on a player that the Bills have targeted last offseason AND this one, landing him in the latter.

No one hates or “sleeps on” John Brown.

Dude I think you just misinterpret what he meant. Nobody is saying they hate him or accusing fans of not paying attention

Saying doesn't sleep on someone is merely pointing out that you are really high on a guy, it doesn't even have to mean others are doubting him

Don't take it personal

16 hours ago, JTown said:

I made a  bold prediction month's ago which I wrote on the white board in my office to remind my co-workers. 

John "Smoke" Brown will be  a top 10 reciever in 2019.

I think Dink and Dunk Beasley could compete for catches, while Brown competes for YPC.

All of this has a common denominator named Josh Allen. Everything circles back to the QB. No pressure Josh

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dude I think you just misinterpret what he meant. Nobody is saying they hate him or accusing fans of not paying attention

Saying doesn't sleep on someone is merely pointing out that you are really high on a guy, it doesn't even have to mean others are doubting him

Don't take it personal

That’s not what the title “keep sleeping on [player x]” implies at all, to anyone, except you apparently. 

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

That’s not what the title “keep sleeping on [player x]” implies at all, to anyone, except you apparently. 

I mean it's slang. 

And I thought it said don't sleep on smoke which wouldn't show any disrespect at all

Even him saying keep sleeping on him is just his opinion. Is a message board and there certainly aren't many threads on John brown

It's a bills message board. We literally have people who post threads about every tweet

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I mean i did acknowledge that, just think it’s lazy of a lot of reporters to simply say his pace fell when the change was made and characterize it as him otherwise being on track for a huge year. 

43 yards in 8 quarters is 10% of Flacco’s passing yards there. For a sometimes streaky player I think it’s fair to acknowledge that he was hot and cold even before the switch. Hopefully we get a full season of his September and I’m optimistic on him. 

In the first 9 games of the season (Flacco starter), John Brown averaged 66.8 receiving yards per game (7.4 targets/game). For context, 66.8 rypg would have placed him 26th in the NFL. Not exactly huge, but worthy of a legit #1 receiver considering he was catching balls from a guy who was about to be benched.

In the last 7 games (Jackson starter), Brown averaged 16.3 receiving yards per game (4.3 targets/game).

The evidence clearly shows that the Ravens' 2018 quarterback change had a significant impact on John Brown.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean it's slang. 

And I thought it said don't sleep on smoke which wouldn't show any disrespect at all

Even him saying keep sleeping on him is just his opinion. Is a message board and there certainly aren't many threads on John brown

It's a bills message board. We literally have people who post threads about every tweet

It’s just know your audience, is all. Now, if this were twitter or a league-wide board, for example, it’d make perfect sense - on a national level most do sleep on JB (and most Bills, for that matter.) But people here know their stuff (with a few exceptions) and are passionate about the team. In this environment, it is just a tad presumptuous of a title. No one here is sleeping on JB.

2 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

It’s just know your audience, is all. Now, if this were twitter or a league-wide board, for example, it’d make perfect sense - on a national level most do sleep on JB (and most Bills, for that matter.) But people here know their stuff (with a few exceptions) and are passionate about the team. In this environment, it is just a tad presumptuous of a title. No one here is sleeping on JB.

Well the Bills have hundreds of thousands of fans around the world , maybe millions...

And we are a few thousand active posters on this site.... Safe to assume we are all die hard fans or trolls or some may be a bit of both lol

Sunday cannot come soon enough

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Browns been inconsistent but at times excellent. 

Ill say say I think blaming Jackson is unfair as he had multiple rough outings to end with flacco... though Flacco obviously wasn’t stellar or he’d have that job still.

If brown is healthy all year and allen steps up- we could have a good pair. I’m more excited about their potential than the beasley addition even though it seems to get a bit less attention 

i'm most excited to see him and foster on the outsides together and praying that's a base receiver set. i'm assuming and also hoping to see a lot of 4 wide.

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

In the first 9 games of the season (Flacco starter), John Brown averaged 66.8 receiving yards per game (7.4 targets/game). For context, 66.8 rypg would have placed him 26th in the NFL. Not exactly huge, but worthy of a legit #1 receiver considering he was catching balls from a guy who was about to be benched.

In the last 7 games (Jackson starter), Brown averaged 16.3 receiving yards per game (4.3 targets/game).

The evidence clearly shows that the Ravens' 2018 quarterback change had a significant impact on John Brown.

3 of his last 4 with flacco were 28 yards or less. If you didn’t know the qb change date, you would’ve been hard pressed to guess the week looking at browns game log. 

Edited by NoSaint

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

3 of his last 4 with flacco were 28 yards or less. If you didn’t know the qb change date, you would’ve been hard pressed to guess the week looking at browns game log. 

The stats speak loudly for themselves. To deny them at this point is silly.