Keep sleeping on Smoke Brown

Wayne Arnold

56 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

May i suggest the Beane did well to bring high quality contrast to the passing game if successful. Two complimentary high level players whom might excel if Josh and the Daboll can dial it in.
nice ceiling if all comes together.

caveat. i see a slow ramp up. But if Off can stay healthy enough ? could be sweet

For sure- and wasn’t so much a knock on beasley. 

Lately ive been on a bit of a kick with finding what people are good at and embracing that instead of focusing toooo hard on fixing the flaws. In football terms see investing in Charles clay to get Tyrod to throw over the middle as a flop of that...

on some level, heck, Allen has a huge arm and likes to start deep in his reads- let’s embrace it with a lot of deep routes and big weapons acquired for that and let the rest come along naturally as he figures it out. Beasley’s a good security blanket But probably the slow ramp guy for me while brown should be relatively instant 

10 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Last year Allen was faced with throwing the ball to possession guys who couldn't/don't separate well. I liked the signing because In limited reps I see Allen having some chemistry with Brown.

The concern has to be how defenses will cover Brown.  He's going to get plenty of coverage rolled his way and that will require someone to step up on the other side.  Beasley will get some looks but someone needs to establish themselves in the longer distance situations.  It'd be nice for one of the TE's to be that target, but odds are that won't happen.  

My concern is Allen's accuracy with the football. How much has that improved depends on how effective Brown/Beasley will be.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Him and Josh Allen are going to be an absolute nightmare for defenses

Great post. He's going to have a huge impact if healthy , could see multiple 40+ yarders landed in a game. Especially if Foster continues to do what he does.  This O could be electric. And we already know that's one of the best defenses in the game! 

Is it Sunday yet!!!?!?!

Foster, brown and Allen have potential to REALLY stress a defense and force them to defend a ton of turf. There’s no sitting on a WR or rolling a safety or... Allen can hit them both over the top down the sideline, or take off himself. There’s no back side of the play or cheating. Every snap they have to go sideline to sideline for about 70 yards from snap to whistle if foster can step up opposite brown. He has potential to be a major wild card in the equation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Him and Josh Allen are going to be an absolute nightmare for defenses

Great post. He's going to have a huge impact if healthy , could see multiple 40+ yarders landed in a game. Especially if Foster continues to do what he does.  This O could be electric. And we already know that's one of the best defenses in the game! 

Is it Sunday yet!!!?!?!

I've thought this from the day the Bills acquired him.  I've seen plenty of highlights of Brown on deep drag routes over the middle, where the corner just has to run with him for 35 yards, and Allen throws that ball beautifully.   There's some explosiveness there that is going to be a problem for defenses.  

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Who is sleeping on him? Love these posts, implying that we’re all ignoramuses and don’t do our homework on a player that the Bills have targeted last offseason AND this one, landing him in the latter.

No one hates or “sleeps on” John Brown.

My neighbor Jonesy is sleeping on him.  Keeps saying it's gonna be all about Singletary and Bease this year.    Just had this discussion with him like 20 minutes ago.  He says little burner guys never make it a full NFL season and are always overrated in the preseason.   I told him to stop drinking all my beer before the opening day party and said I had to go to bed which was a lie.

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Foster, brown and Allen have potential to REALLY stress a defense and force them to defend a ton of turf. There’s no sitting on a WR or rolling a safety or... Allen can hit them both over the top down the sideline, or take off himself. There’s no back side of the play or cheating. Every snap they have to go sideline to sideline for about 70 yards from snap to whistle if foster can step up opposite brown. He has potential to be a major wild card in the equation. 

Exactly. And then you have a guy like Beasely underneath! 

Allens scrambling ability. NYC sports talk is interested to see if they'll spy Allen. Just shows it's another weapon they have to be responsible for   If Foster steps up , good luck to them. They're going to need it. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like John Brown but in his prime Marvin Harrison was a 100 catch 1400 yard 12-13 TD WR.

I expect he will end up between 50-75 catches and 600-1,000 yards..........any more than that would be surprising.

if Smoke gets that this year, along with Beasley, JA will have had a good year. I think its highly possible for both to have them numbers. anything else, to anyone else, would mean 3000 yd's.(the short game will do that for ya) and that would be a solid 2nd year for Josh. here's hoping

3 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

if Smoke gets that this year, along with Beasley, JA will have had a good year. I think its highly possible for both to have them numbers. anything else, to anyone else, would mean 3000 yd's.(the short game will do that for ya) and that would be a solid 2nd year for Josh. here's hoping

That's well said.  And what McDermott and Daboll are trying to do is come at the defense like that every position - have the tight ends stress your defense.  Have the mix of offensive linemen allow them to play different kinds of games - finesse, power, possession.  Have an array of running backs.  And have THAT QB, with THAT array of talents.  AND HAVE ALL THE PARTS SOMEHOW BE INTERCHANGEABLE.  That forces the defense to be prepared, in one week, to stop almost any kind of attack.   The Bills are built not to be dominant at any one thing, but to be really, really good at everything.  In other words, the Bills challenge to the rest of the league is going to be for each opponent to shut down EVERYTHING.  

And on defense, it's the same thing.  The Bills defense is designed to say "you may have some success doing some things against us some of the time, but your are NOT going to have enough consistent success to score a lot on us.  

On offense and defense, the Bills are saying "we're going to do everything right and you see if you can match us."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's well said.  And what McDermott and Daboll are trying to do is come at the defense like that every position - have the tight ends stress your defense.  Have the mix of offensive linemen allow them to play different kinds of games - finesse, power, possession.  Have an array of running backs.  And have THAT QB, with THAT array of talents.  AND HAVE ALL THE PARTS SOMEHOW BE INTERCHANGEABLE.  That forces the defense to be prepared, in one week, to stop almost any kind of attack.   The Bills are built not to be dominant at any one thing, but to be really, really good at everything.  In other words, the Bills challenge to the rest of the league is going to be for each opponent to shut down EVERYTHING.  

And on defense, it's the same thing.  The Bills defense is designed to say "you may have some success doing some things against us some of the time, but your are NOT going to have enough consistent success to score a lot on us.  

On offense and defense, the Bills are saying "we're going to do everything right and you see if you can match us."

spot on Shaw. Its because of exactly that,  that I think we win this game. Defense. I think our boys are practicing against a more diverse offense, and they will be ready. They can dial in once we see what their game plan is, and that should be the difference in this one. 

p.s.     Singletary gets his first NFL TD

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Browns been inconsistent but at times excellent. 

Ill say say I think blaming Jackson is unfair as he had multiple rough outings to end with flacco... though Flacco obviously wasn’t stellar or he’d have that job still.

If brown is healthy all year and allen steps up- we could have a good pair. I’m more excited about their potential than the beasley addition even though it seems to get a bit less attention 

Allen to Brown

Allen to Beasley

Allen to Singletary

Allen to Knox/Sweeney

Allen to Foster

There are plenty of weapons here for Allen.  It is up to him to make the plays.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, JTown said:

I made a  bold prediction month's ago which I wrote on the white board in my office to remind my co-workers. 

John "Smoke" Brown will be  a top 10 reciever in 2019.

Last year the #10 WR put up 1270 yards. Or if you go by receptions, the #10 (a different guy) had 87 catches. I think your co-workers are going to end up thinking you were awfully overconfident.

But I do think Brown will turn out to have been a very nice pickup if he stays healthy.

Edited by Thurman#1

36 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Last year the #10 WR put up 1270 yards. Or if you go by receptions, the #10 (a different guy) had 87 catches. I think your co-workers are going to end up thinking you were awfully overconfident.

But I do think Brown will turn out to have been a very nice pickup if he stays healthy.

Yeah, I think maybe you might be right. If any Bills WR has 87 catches I would bet Beasley before Brown. I guess you never though, Brown would have a good shot at those type of number of catches as long as Allen keeps up trend. Hope they both can manage to at least get close to that. Would be great.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

You don't sleep on smoke, you stop drop and roll.

I do not have a lot of faith in him though. His career has been spotty, and his best years were with Carson Palmer. He hasn't really elevated the meh QBs he's been with, and right now, without really knowing what Josh is going to be like in his 2nd season, you cannot expect Brown to be anything more than an average WR.

I hope I'm completely wrong and he puts up 1500 yards and 16 TDs.

12 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Who's blaming Jackson?

They went from attempting 42.1 pass attempts per game under Flacco...

...to 22.6 pass attempts per game under Jackson.

That's a significant decrease in opportunities for a wide receiver.

FWIW, in his early pressers this preseason, Jackson blamed himself.  Talked about working on technique, said something like "you know what I mean, I wasn't good last year.  Lots of Ducks."   I'm glad we drafted Allen, I wish Flacco great success with the Broncs, but I do like LJax.