Keep sleeping on Smoke Brown

Wayne Arnold

No one talks about the guy and how much of an impact he can have on this team.

He was a rising star during his first two seasons in the league. He helped the Cardinals win the NFC West on their way to the AFC Championship game in 2015, aiding Carson Palmer to a near-MVP season.

Image result for john brown dance gif

Coaches called him a Marvin Harrison clone.

Don't take it from me. Ask the guy who drafted him and coached him all four seasons in Arizona, Bruce Arians...

"He was a superstar waiting to happen (before the injuries). He can do it all. He might be small in stature, but he's strong, he's physical, he can make every catch. He's one heck of a competitor. Smoke is one of my favorite players."

A spinal cyst resulted in two injury-plagued seasons with the Cardinals in 2016 and 2017. That combined with poor quarterback play brought his numbers way down.

Then he was one of the league leaders in receiving yards about halfway through the 2018 season with the Ravens before they switched to a run-option offense with Lamar Jackson.

Could Smoke Brown become Josh Allen's Marvin Harrison?

• Like (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Browns been inconsistent but at times excellent. 

Ill say say I think blaming Jackson is unfair as he had multiple rough outings to end with flacco... though Flacco obviously wasn’t stellar or he’d have that job still.

If brown is healthy all year and allen steps up- we could have a good pair. I’m more excited about their potential than the beasley addition even though it seems to get a bit less attention 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Browns been inconsistent but at times excellent. 

Ill say say I think blaming Jackson is unfair as he had multiple rough outings to end with flacco... though Flacco obviously wasn’t stellar or he’d have that job still.

If brown is healthy all year and allen steps up- we could have a good pair. I’m more excited about their potential than the beasley addition even though it seems to get a bit less attention 

May i suggest the Beane did well to bring high quality contrast to the passing game if successful. Two complimentary high level players whom might excel if Josh and the Daboll can dial it in.
nice ceiling if all comes together.

caveat. i see a slow ramp up. But if Off can stay healthy enough ? could be sweet

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like John Brown but in his prime Marvin Harrison was a 100 catch 1400 yard 12-13 TD WR.

I expect he will end up between 50-75 catches and 600-1,000 yards..........any more than that would be surprising.

Having Peyton Manning tossing the ball helped a bit. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No one talks about the guy and how much of an impact he can have on this team.

He was a rising star during his first two seasons in the league. He helped the Cardinals win the NFC West on their way to the AFC Championship game in 2015, aiding Carson Palmer to a near-MVP season.

Image result for john brown dance gif

Coaches called him a Marvin Harrison clone.

Don't take it from me. Ask the guy who drafted him and coached him all four seasons in Arizona, Bruce Arians...

A spinal cyst resulted in two injury-plagued seasons with the Cardinals in 2016 and 2017. That combined with poor quarterback play brought his numbers way down.

Then he was one of the league leaders in receiving yards about halfway through the 2018 season with the Ravens before they switched to a run-option offense with Lamar Jackson.

Could Smoke Brown become Josh Allen's Marvin Harrison?

I have been discussing John Brown for some time now. I believe that now that he has found a home he will flash on a consistent basis. During training camp, the Bills discovered that he not only possesses great speed, but he is a good route runner as well...he can get separation and fly. Yes he was on his way to a 1K season with Flacco until Jackson took over. Brown and Allen are going to have some moments and keep defensive coordinators awake at night!

Edited by Rocket94

Him and Josh Allen are going to be an absolute nightmare for defenses

Great post. He's going to have a huge impact if healthy , could see multiple 40+ yarders landed in a game. Especially if Foster continues to do what he does.  This O could be electric. And we already know that's one of the best defenses in the game! 

Is it Sunday yet!!!?!?!

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Who's blaming Jackson?

They went from attempting 42.1 pass attempts per game under Flacco...

...to 22.6 pass attempts per game under Jackson.

That's a significant decrease in opportunities for a wide receiver.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

i think he is way under the national radar.
 and i am digging this cat to show what he truly can do this year

Way under the radar due to circumstances mostly out of his control, but opposing defenses know who he is!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like John Brown but in his prime Marvin Harrison was a 100 catch 1400 yard 12-13 TD WR.

I expect he will end up between 50-75 catches and 600-1,000 yards..........any more than that would be surprising.

John Brown is definately NOT Marvin Harrison.......he is a good receiver....Harrison was a GREAT receiver

I’m not, I didn’t draft a WR2 until I drafted him in my fantasy draft. That guy will be the steal of fantasy football this year.

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I’m going 75 for 1100 yards

Last year Allen was faced with throwing the ball to possession guys who couldn't/don't separate well. I liked the signing because In limited reps I see Allen having some chemistry with Brown.

The concern has to be how defenses will cover Brown.  He's going to get plenty of coverage rolled his way and that will require someone to step up on the other side.  Beasley will get some looks but someone needs to establish themselves in the longer distance situations.  It'd be nice for one of the TE's to be that target, but odds are that won't happen.  

Edited by BillsVet

26 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Who's blaming Jackson?

They went from attempting 42.1 pass attempts per game under Flacco...

...to 22.6 pass attempts per game under Jackson.

That's a significant decrease in opportunities for a wide receiver.

Point flew right by you if you think that’s what I was trying to say.

4 of his last 5 with Flacco were not particularly good and his last two were 6 catches for 43 yards as a combined total. A lot of people seem to quickly point at the qb change, or scheme change if you want to be argumentative over a point I dont much care about.

My point is he’s been a streaky player and he had a really hot start to the season and trailed off over a month prior to the switch, minus 1 game. 

Who is sleeping on him? Love these posts, implying that we’re all ignoramuses and don’t do our homework on a player that the Bills have targeted last offseason AND this one, landing him in the latter.

No one hates or “sleeps on” John Brown.