Jared Goff New Contract Largest Guaranteed Ever

aristocrat

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is one of the most overplayed and overblown things I have ever heard in my years watching the NFL. All the up tempo stuff does is give McVay the chance to see and relay to Goff before the snap what the basic alignment is. Now while that helps a young Quarterback do we honestly believe that Jared Goff as a 3rd year NFL Quarterback doesn't know what cover 2 looks like vs Quarters or vs cover 0? Of course he does. There were games last year where the Rams (because their defense at times was vulnerable) slowed the game right down - they did it for a spell in the NFCCG too - and Goff still produced. I've heard people even go as far as suggesting McVay is reading what is going on post snap and deciding where the ball should be thrown. It is ludicrous. What started as an interesting tidbit - that McVay thinks an advantage of the up tempo stuff is it gives him a chance to see what the defense is doing before the snap - has turned into a monster where people basically pretend Jared Goff is a robot being controlled in his split second decision making by the voice of Sean McVay.

A Quarterback and a playcaller being in sync is a good thing. It shouldn't be held up as evidence against that Quarterback being good.

Gunner, of course the QB still has to execute, but there's no question he's getting a lot better info to help him than most QBs walking up to the line.  It is what it is -- Goff has the benefit of McVay.  I think Goff's success is certainly tied to that relationship, and there's nothing wrong with that, but we also shouldn't ignore it.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You always hear about lockouts and strikes when the next CBA comes around, but fans need to have a voice also. This is getting way out of hand. NFL games are heading down the road of country clubs. It needs to stop. Fans need to fight back.

I'm digressing a bit, but if wages had kept up with productivity over the last 40 years, $99 would be affordable to many.  

The price is probably right.  The current level of income inequality is the problem.  

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

good for Goff! Never understand the animosity for players when they get paid.

To me, the interesting part of this contract is that it is almost 100% guaranteed, as we saw with Cousins.

My hunch is that more and more players are going to stop giving the club options at the end of contracts as has been the case for the last 20 years. Players are going to say you are going to pay me $20M /yr for a 3 year deal, all $60M guaranteed, and unlike before it will not be structured as a 5 year, $100M deal with only $60M guaranteed. 

and that's what fans in the 70s said, and the 80s, and the 90s etc.

Just where do you think TV revenues come from????

...perhaps advertisers?????...what else would they spend "Sunday Money" on, I Love Lucy re-runs?...................

23 minutes ago, eball said:

Gunner, of course the QB still has to execute, but there's no question he's getting a lot better info to help him than most QBs walking up to the line.  It is what it is -- Goff has the benefit of McVay.  I think Goff's success is certainly tied to that relationship, and there's nothing wrong with that, but we also shouldn't ignore it.

I think the overall realtionship is very important. The speaking into his ear right before the snap much less so.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, eball said:

Don’t you think the Rams went to McVay and asked him what he thought about the deal?  If McVay thought it was feasible to replace Goff, why won’t he have said anything because he would be much better off paying another qb much less.

i think some fans are overreacting to a guy losing a SB to one of the greatest coaches ever.  The Rams have had an awesome offense 2 years in a row with a former 1 overall pick leading them.  And his deal will not be the top deal in a few years.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, aristocrat said:

This doesn't necessarily drive me crazy, nor does the trend of guarantying large sums of  money in general, due to the fact that even if the guy is terrible (which he won't be) you still would not likely cut him in the first couple of years, regardless of the money they are paying for him.

So really you're looking at a wasted year three and the attributes of guaranteed money over years 3 and 4.

The age of someone (mostly rookies) getting a huge contract and being bust right out of the gate on a deal appear to be over.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Goff is good. I think I might be the only guy high on him at times but I think he is a really good quarterback. I don't think he is elite, or is likely to be elite... but he is Matt Ryan or younger Eli Manning level for me. A guy who is gonna play well enough most years that as long as the team around him doesn't totally suck will have you in contention for the post-season.

Do I think he is "worth" the highest guaranteed contract ever? No... but that is meaningless now anyone because every new QB contract breaks records in some way or another.

I think Goff struggles with people's perceptions of him because of that first half a season starting in the dark final days of Jeff "no more 7-9 bull####" Fisher. The perception after that season was "Wentz - good; Goff - bad." People on here at the time will remember I went back and watched every snap of both and the truth was the tape showed Wentz's rookie year was a little worse than the perception and Goff's was a fair bit better. Wentz had the better year of the two but the gap was small in contrast to the public perception. I predicted on here before the 2017 season that Goff would take a big step forward. He did. I wasn't surprised.

Like you - I think he played a good game in beating Brees in NOLA in the NFCCG last year, and yes, he struggled in the Superbowl. But I actually think McVay struggled more in the Superbowl. The Rams were outcoached more than they were outplayed in my opinion. Goff has to play better in those moments, no doubt, but a third year QB who didn't perform at his best in the biggest game against the greatest defensive coach of all time should not be used as a reason to dismiss and undermine everything he has done since he came into the league.

It's also not a 10 year deal $400M deal..........which is basically what it looked like we would be seeing given to franchise QB's 5 years ago.

Shorter terms.........high guarantees because QB isn't a position where effort drops off with the payday........$100M+ is a lot but it's not like giving it to a defensive player whose game is so heavily tied to max effort.

He is basically locked in for about as long as you'd expect the leash from Kroenke to be on the McVay regime now that they have made it to a SB.

10 hours ago, eball said:

Do you agree or disagree that Goff has been helped immensely by having McVay in his ear calling the defense just before the microphone goes off?

And this habit of saying QBs alone "win" or "lose" games is well past its prime.  Goff has played very well in McVay's system and when teams took away that little "in your ear" advantage his results were, shall we say, less impressive.

It's a great contract for Goff and if he and McVay stay tied together I'm sure he'll continue to put up "impressive" numbers, but at some point he's going to need to be able to do it on his own.

He's undoubtedly been helped by good coaching, but the numbers he put up in the second and third years of his career are phenomenal relative to average early-career QB production totals: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoffJa00.htm. There are a lot of great coaches out there who fail to generate production from their QBs. The player matters too. Also, he is still only 24 years old. 

10 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Real stupid. $110 mil for a system quarterback. That’s a bad precedent to set. GMs around the league are PO’ed right now I’d bet.

Why would they PO'd? The money has be spent. 

People need to remember that increases in the money being spent are MANDATED by the annual increase in the cap. Players get a guaranteed portion of the league's revenue. If you're going to pay someone, pay the very good and productive #1 overall QB who is still only 24 years old.

(Also, and not that you're claiming this (someone else did), a big salary for Goff has ZERO to do with ticket prices.) 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He's undoubtedly been helped by good coaching, but the numbers he put up in the second and third years of his career are phenomenal relative to average early-career QB production totals: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoffJa00.htm. There are a lot of great coaches out there who fail to generate production from their QBs. The player matters too. Also, he is still only 24 years old. 

It's unfortunate that some are twisting my comments to suggest I think Goff is a bad or average QB.  I don't.  But I believe McVay is somewhat unprecedented in terms of how he has impacted Goff's development and that deserves mention.  Without McVay I don't think we're talking about Goff in the same light.

16 hours ago, StHustle said:

Anyone else tired of hearing "largest ever" when it happens every year?

^^^^^This. 

picard slow clap GIF

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

This doesn't necessarily drive me crazy, nor does the trend of guarantying large sums of  money in general, due to the fact that even if the guy is terrible (which he won't be) you still would not likely cut him in the first couple of years, regardless of the money they are paying for him.

So really you're looking at a wasted year three and the attributes of guaranteed money over years 3 and 4.

The age of someone (mostly rookies) gut a huge contract and being bust right out of the gate on a deal appear to be over.  

A la JaMarcus Russell? Wasn't he one of the reasons/impetus for the CBA introducing rookie wage scale system? IIRC, it was like the Wild West in the early 2000's for rookies coming in commanding larger sums than established vets...glad they fixed that issue at least. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, eball said:

It's unfortunate that some are twisting my comments to suggest I think Goff is a bad or average QB.  I don't.  But I believe McVay is somewhat unprecedented in terms of how he has impacted Goff's development and that deserves mention.  Without McVay I don't think we're talking about Goff in the same light.

I understand what you were saying earlier.  But we can’t know this and McVay obviously signed on for this deal for Goff.  Again, it’s not like he’s a low round pick.  He is a first overall pick.  I think the only think that is obvious is Fisher is a terrible offense coach.  

59 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

^^^^^This. 

picard slow clap GIF

A la JaMarcus Russell? Wasn't he one of the reasons/impetus for the CBA introducing rookie wage scale system? IIRC, it was like the Wild West in the early 2000's for rookies coming in commanding larger sums than established vets...glad they fixed that issue at least. 

Gosh darn it, HUDS, thank you!  I couldn't remember his name, but didn't feel like looking it up.  yes, I agree completely.

IF a veteran doesn't necessarily work out now, it's just because.  It's not a resting on laurels thing.  Of course many will say Marcel didn't play to his potential and I kind of agree, but that is a bit on us.  However, he wasn't a bust, and I don't think he is with the jags, either.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Unprecedented? What about Doug Pederson and Nick Foles? There are other examples too. Having a good playcaller - QB relationship is the way it is supposed to work. Of course McVay gets some credit for Goff's development. But the talent was always there. Goff is going to be a successful QB in this league for a good few years.