September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month

rockpile

15 hours ago, rockpile said:

My grandson is doing well, if you can imagine a two year old with "roid rage". 

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Thank god your grandson is doing well!. As a parent of a 4-year-old that had to spend time in the hospital where the "C-word" was thrown around as a potential cause of our issues (Thank the Good Lord it never came to that), I cannot imagine. Even just hearing that word in regards to your baby breaks you down as a parent.

Best wishes, brother!

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Thank god your grandson is doing well!. As a parent of a 4-year-old that had to spend time in the hospital where the "C-word" was thrown around as a potential cause of our issues (Thank the Good Lord it never came to that), I cannot imagine. Even just hearing that word in regards to your baby breaks you down as a parent.

Best wishes, brother!

His parents are my heroes. Son-in-law working two jobs and daughter is staying home with Cheeky from her lucrative career. At one point this winter, my grandson was in the pediatric ICU for several weeks. His liver was shutting down and kidney function almost nil. One parent or grandparent was there 24 x 7. He almost did not turn the corner and it was very scary. The chemo almost killed him until they found the right "mix".

He is much better now but will be on chemo and steroids for a while. He takes his meds orally and actually eats solid foods now, so he is officially in "maintenance" for a couple years and hopefully will be leukemia free.

Thanks TBD for all the kind thoughts.

He is pointing to his Penguin socks. They were a fund raiser and I get some eyes raised when I wear the with shorts. Good news is no feeding or chemo tubes and fuzzy hair trying to grow back in! B-)

Image may contain: 1 person

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, rockpile said:

His parents are my heroes. Son-in-law working two jobs and daughter is staying home with Cheeky from her lucrative career. At one point this winter, my grandson was in the pediatric ICU for several weeks. His liver was shutting down and kidney function almost nil. One parent or grandparent was there 24 x 7. He almost did not turn the corner and it was very scary. The chemo almost killed him until they found the right "mix".

He is much better now but will be on chemo and steroids for a while. He takes his meds orally and actually eats solid foods now, so he is officially in "maintenance" for a couple years and hopefully will be leukemia free.

Thanks TBD for all the kind thoughts.

He is pointing to his Penguin socks. They were a fund raiser and I get some eyes raised when I wear the with shorts. Good news is no feeding or chemo tubes and fuzzy hair trying to grow back in! B-)

Image may contain: 1 person

That is amazing!!!!!!!!! This little man will certainly be in my prayers.

On a side note, any way I could still get a pair of those socks? I'd be happy to send $$ via paypal!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/3/2019 at 6:21 PM, rockpile said:

My grandson is doing well, if you can imagine a two year old with "roid rage". 

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Great to hear, Rockpile! My best friend from work has a daughter that is dealing with cancer. Him and his wife put down everything and have been giving every second of their days to helping her with her fight. They moved from Florida to Philly to get her into the children’s hospital up there. Her recovery seems to be going generally well. Kids are so freaking tough! 

Heres a cool story about her and the support that Pennsylvania law enforcement has given them:

http://www.fox7austin.com/popular/3-year-old-girl-battling-cancer-becomes-honorary-pa-state-trooper

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Roids? Has he tried to pick you up yet to show how strong he’s getting? 

No, but he points at me and says "Hulk".  Size is relative!   

:w00t:

Edited by rockpile

Thanks for the link to the story, Sig1Hunter.  Cancer really sucks, but the children are so inspiring. Also, the parents learn first hand what really matters in life!

Luckily, the Smilow Cancer Center at Yale University Childrens Hospital is only about 20-25 minutes from their home.  

Since you asked about the socks, I believe the penguin socks are going to be available again soon (made to order only). They just finished a t-shirt campaign, which included hoodies so I hope to wear that soon. FB page is Resilience Gives.

Cheeky has a FB page "Team Naaman" or search  @teamnaaman. There is also a journal at teamnaaman.com, with a link to GoFundMe.

It is amazing how many people lend a hand, especially when they first hear of a child with a serious illness.

Cheeky was in touch with Pancho Billa through his Mom and me on Twitter, so he was special to our family.

I want to see if JayRubeo wears his penguin socks with his kilt at the home opener tailgate! :D

Edited by rockpile
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, rockpile said:

Thanks for the link to the story, Sig1Hunter.  Cancer really sucks, but the children are so inspiring. Also, the parents learn first hand what really matters in life!

Luckily, the Smilow Cancer Center at Yale University Childrens Hospital is only about 20-25 minutes from their home.  

Since you asked about the socks, I believe the penguin socks are going to be available again soon (made to order only). They just finished a t-shirt campaign, which included hoodies so I hope to wear that soon. FB page is Resilience Gives.

Cheeky has a FB page "Team Naaman" or search  @teamnaaman. There is also a journal at teamnaaman.com, with a link to GoFundMe.

It is amazing how many people lend a hand, especially when they first hear of a child with a serious illness.

Cheeky was in touch with Pancho Billa through his Mom and me on Twitter, so he was special to our family.

I want to see if JayRubeo wears his penguin socks with his kilt at the home opener tailgate! :D

Love it, man. I liked their page on Facebook and I’ll be checking back for some penguin socks and definitely sending positive vibes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As we continue to bring  people's attention to Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, I have a link to Bonfire.com, who has requested my grandson to be one of their representatives. They have their own story to tell and have created this way to raise money for helping find a cure, and easing some of the difficulties of the families of these brave kids.

https://www.bonfire.com/store/teamnaaman/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=store_page_share&store=teamnaaman&utm_content=default&fbclid=IwAR3BJZzalvO4xpq-fHmEZ73hsFzf0W5o4QkdTu4FTlsEozY3xrtth9zo_iI

Love my shield hoodie, but not a selfie fan

Image may contain: Thomas A. Benson, smiling

#TeamNaaman #WearBonfire

This graphic design is in homage to Captain America's shield, since he is my grandson's favorite super-hero!

I wore the hoodie at the Bills home opener until it got to hot! It is a breat hoodie for a great cause. They have a wide variety of other merchandise, so please check them out and tell them Cheeky (Naaman) sent you! 

Edited by rockpile
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1